• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

DJ - first frosh POY?

717s7e

Ok, I just assume that we have had a prior freshman who was Freshman of the Year, but I can't remember who. I do recall that Kareem Jamar started as a Freshman, as did Krysko and Michael Ray Richardon, probably also Daren Engellant and Wayne Tinkle.

But, were any of them Freshman Player of the Year? Derrick Carter-Hollinger had a fine year and is obviously a quality guy.

I hate to give credit where credit is due, buy the freshman guard for the Cats women (Darian White from Boise) is a rare talent.

717s7e said:
Ok, I just assume that we have had a prior freshman who was Freshman of the Year, but I can't remember who. I do recall that Kareem Jamar started as a Freshman, as did Krysko and Michael Ray Richardon, probably also Daren Engellant and Wayne Tinkle.

But, were any of them Freshman Player of the Year? Derrick Carter-Hollinger had a fine year and is obviously a quality guy.

I hate to give credit where credit is due, buy the freshman guard for the Cats women (Darian White from Boise) is a rare talent.
Previous Montana winners of the Freshman POY awared:

1988-89: Daren Engellant
2002-03: Kevin Criswell (this would have been my guess as most recent)
2006-07: Cameron Rundles

The award dates back to the 1985-86 season. In the previous 34 season, players from 12 different Big Sky schools have won the award. Surprisinly, Eastern Washington leads the conference with 6 Freshman POY winners.

EWU 6
Montana State 5
Weber State 5
Montana 4
Boise State 3
Northern Arizona 3
Sacramento State 3
Idaho State 2
Nevada 2
Portland State 2
CS Northridge 1
Northern Colorado 1

Grizband - how did you find the 3 freshmen POYs? And, who was the 4th? I can't find much on GoGriz.com, records only seem to go back a few years.

I can only vaguely recall Cameron Rundles. But, a bit of research reminded me that he played in 2006-7, and 2007-8 before transferring to Wofford where he played two years, 3rd team all conference but All-Tournament team two years. He then played pro ball in England. He is originally from Minneapolis. He is now an assistant coach at Wofford.

Who recruited him and was his coach when he transferred? Was the Griz program in turmoil at that time? A good player transferring out was a rare event in those days.

Daren Engellant from Geraldine came in the same year as Shannon Cate. Wasn't Kevin Criswell a walk-on?

717s7e said:
Grizband - how did you find the 3 freshmen POYs? And, who was the 4th? I can't find much on GoGriz.com, records only seem to go back a few years.

Don't know if this is where he got his info, but this is from the Big Sky's website (under the "More+" link):
https://bigskyconf.com/sports/2010/11/12/MBB_1112104310.aspx?id=592

Past Men's Basketball Freshmen of the Year

Year Player School
2018-19 Bodie Hume Northern Colorado
2017-18 Holland Woods Portland State
2016-17 Harald Frey Montana State
2015-16 Tyler Hall Montana State
2014-15 Bogdan Bliznyuk Eastern Washington
2013-14 Jeremy Senglin Weber State
2012-13 Venky Jois Eastern Washington
2011-12 Dylan Garrity Sacramento State
2010-11 Byron Fulton Weber State
2009-10 Glen Dean Eastern Washington
2008-09 Damian Lillard Weber State
2007-08 Vinnie McGhee Jr. Sacramento State
2006-07 Cameron Rundles Montana
2005-06 Rodney Stuckey Eastern Washington
2004-05 Logan Kinghorn Idaho State
2003-04 Matt Nelson Eastern Washington
2002-03 Kevin Criswell Montana
2001-02 Marc Axton Eastern Washington
2000-01 Seamus Boxley Portland State
Jason Erickson Montana State
1999-2000 Stephan Bachman Weber State
1998-99 Nate Murase Sacramento State
1997-98 Carl Holmes Cal State Northridge
1996-97 Ross Land Northern Arizona
Ryan Jama Weber State
1995-96 Danny Sprinkle Montana State
1994-95 Jerome Riley Northern Arizona
1993-94 Steve Shephard Boise State
1992-93 Scott Hatler Montana State
1991-92 Scott Saber Nevada
1990-91 Kareem Carpenter Idaho State
1989-80 Tanoka Beard Boise State
1988-89 Daren Engellant Montana
1987-88 Mike Williams Nevada
1986-87 Steve Williams Northern Arizona
1985-86 Chris Childs Boise State

717s7e said:
I can only vaguely recall Cameron Rundles. But, a bit of research reminded me that he played in 2006-7, and 2007-8 before transferring to Wofford where he played two years, 3rd team all conference but All-Tournament team two years. He then played pro ball in England. He is originally from Minneapolis. He is now an assistant coach at Wofford.

Who recruited him and was his coach when he transferred? Was the Griz program in turmoil at that time? A good player transferring out was a rare event in those days.

Daren Engellant from Geraldine came in the same year as Shannon Cate. Wasn't Kevin Criswell a walk-on?

Cam Rundles was a Krysko recruit and I think he just wasn't satisfied with Tinkle after that. I could be wrong but I believe that was the case.

717s7e said:

Doublenicks was correct, I acquired the list from the Big Sky Conference website. The 4th is Derek Carter-Hollinger, who won the award this season (2019-20).

grizband said:
717s7e said:
Grizband - I am a bit slow with the math - thanks for reminding me of #4 :)
No worries, it was an understandable omission.

Interesting thread topic. Crazy only two guys played NBA. Lilliard, and Stuckey, but some good dudes on that list. Remember Chris Childs? He was damn good. Maybe I’m off, but did he also play in NBA?

keena52 said:
grizband said:
717s7e said:
Grizband - I am a bit slow with the math - thanks for reminding me of #4 :)
No worries, it was an understandable omission.

Interesting thread topic. Crazy only two guys played NBA. Lilliard, and Stuckey, but some good dudes on that list. Remember Chris Childs? He was damn good. Maybe I’m off, but did he also play in NBA?

Took him a couple years in the CBA but I believe he did close to 10 years in the NBA. One of the best ever in the conference for sure.

Latest posts

Back