Shannon is Fired!!!! Boom!!!

Griz & Big Sky Conference Basketball
Post Reply
Griz til I die
eGriz Club
Posts: 962
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:41 pm
Location: Butte, Mt

Is there a press conference today to discuss this?
I was told before the game started not to encourage the students to start my favorite chant, but you did it any way (FTC)- Bobby Hauck. UM Student and lifelong #1 Griz fan
grizindabox
eGriz Club
Posts: 15903
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 10:54 pm
Location: Spokane, WA

Griz til I die wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:16 am
Is there a press conference today to discuss this?
In the days of social distancing...
One of the definitions of privilege is, thinking “the system works” because it worked FOR YOU.
User avatar
TrueGriz
Posts: 2378
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Missoula, Montana

grizindabox wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:38 am
Griz til I die wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:16 am
Is there a press conference today to discuss this?
In the days of social distancing...
Can be done via video conference. Haslam and Bodner standing 6 feet apart on the video discussing it. Not sure what they discussed since it already was announced to the press yesterday.
Once A Griz, Always A Griz.
Colter_Nuanez56
Posts: 2149
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:31 am
Location: skylinesportsmt.com
Contact:

TrueGriz wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:58 am
grizindabox wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:38 am
Griz til I die wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:16 am
Is there a press conference today to discuss this?
In the days of social distancing...
Can be done via video conference. Haslam and Bodner standing 6 feet apart on the video discussing it. Not sure what they discussed since it already was announced to the press yesterday.
Nothing has been announced. This is all from my independent sourcing that the other news outlets took and ran with. The ethical ones have sited me. The Missoulian simply used my story as a tip to then call Shannon. She confirmed it directly. So it's very real. But the university has not made any sort of statement or announcement regarding this change.
TWITTER:@Skylinesportsmt
FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/skylinesportsmt1
BIG SKY BREAKDOWN ON ITUNES
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/big ... 1131856462
SUBSCRIBE TO SKYLINE SPORTS
https://skylinesportsmt.com/subscriptions/
User avatar
Mslacat
Posts: 2133
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:53 pm
Location: Missoula Montana

Colter_Nuanez56 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:55 am
TrueGriz wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:58 am
grizindabox wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:38 am
Griz til I die wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:16 am
Is there a press conference today to discuss this?
In the days of social distancing...
Can be done via video conference. Haslam and Bodner standing 6 feet apart on the video discussing it. Not sure what they discussed since it already was announced to the press yesterday.
Nothing has been announced. This is all from my independent sourcing that the other news outlets took and ran with. The ethical ones have sited me. The Missoulian simply used my story as a tip to then call Shannon. She confirmed it directly. So it's very real. But the university has not made any sort of statement or announcement regarding this change.
Boy That is Interesting!!! So nothing is official! Plenty of national sure seem to make seem official outlets
PlayerRep
Posts: 27944
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Her contract runs into the summer, maybe July 31, so she will be paid through then. That would impact when a new head coach could be hired and paid the bigger salary. Perhaps another reason for an interim coach.

I wonder if she will move out of office, and Petrino will immediately start running things. Assume so.

At least, she won't be told to pack up and go immediately, like O'Day and Pflu were.
first11
Posts: 2266
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: missoula

moneyball wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:06 pm
Another one bites the dust......!!!! Yeah!!!!!!
There is no joy in this.
moneyball
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:38 am

ThinkingGriz wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:15 am
How about some good news! I have heard Sophia had her surgery completed. Slipped in before everything shut down. Again I am somewhat confident of the source but not 100 percent certain. Some one should start a new thread and move on. I think money ball can rest for a while. I know if he sees injustice towards players he will return.
:thumb:
Grizwald32
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:04 pm

Colter_Nuanez56 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:55 am
TrueGriz wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:58 am
grizindabox wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:38 am
Griz til I die wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:16 am
Is there a press conference today to discuss this?
In the days of social distancing...
Can be done via video conference. Haslam and Bodner standing 6 feet apart on the video discussing it. Not sure what they discussed since it already was announced to the press yesterday.
Nothing has been announced. This is all from my independent sourcing that the other news outlets took and ran with. The ethical ones have sited me. The Missoulian simply used my story as a tip to then call Shannon. She confirmed it directly. So it's very real. But the university has not made any sort of statement or announcement regarding this change.
I can 100% confirm that That Skyline Sports was the first Media source to break this story. Everyone else jumped on board after. Good Job Colter!!!
maroonandsilver
eGriz Club
Posts: 1863
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:25 am

moneyball wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:33 pm
ThinkingGriz wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:15 am
How about some good news! I have heard Sophia had her surgery completed. Slipped in before everything shut down. Again I am somewhat confident of the source but not 100 percent certain. Some one should start a new thread and move on. I think money ball can rest for a while. I know if he sees injustice towards players he will return.
:thumb:
My source says 100% she had the surgery. And Abby is scheduled in a couple of weeks.
jesslohse
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:41 pm

I’m biased (as a Blue Pony) but Loree would be a great hire! Hopefully they do a robust and thorough search... Excited to watch some players from the Hi-Line as Lady Griz the next few years!
User avatar
BDizzle
eGriz Club
Posts: 3546
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:16 am
Location: Billings

I can 100% confirm Sophia had surgery in Billings on Tuesday. 7 month timetable for recovery. So gonna be close. But it was needed. She could barely even lift her arms last year. These women are tough!
aka BHaf
SACCAT66
Posts: 1382
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Spectators Bar

BDizzle wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:02 pm
I can 100% confirm Sophia had surgery in Billings on Tuesday. 7 month timetable for recovery. So gonna be close. But it was needed. She could barely even lift her arms last year. These women are tough!
Wow... That REALLY pisses me off. Nothing against her at all..
ThinkingGriz
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:45 am

SACCAT66 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:19 pm
BDizzle wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:02 pm
I can 100% confirm Sophia had surgery in Billings on Tuesday. 7 month timetable for recovery. So gonna be close. But it was needed. She could barely even lift her arms last year. These women are tough!
Wow... That REALLY pisses me off. Nothing against her at all..
Again I do feel for you. Seems to me like your son"s chest surgery seems like a bigger deal than shoulder. Just trying to keep people off your back.
goatcreekgriz
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: Goat Creek, Montana

jesslohse wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:16 pm
I’m biased (as a Blue Pony) but Loree would be a great hire! Hopefully they do a robust and thorough search... Excited to watch some players from the Hi-Line as Lady Griz the next few years!
+1
horribilisfan8184
Posts: 1527
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:08 am

Just a little food for thought. Shannon had 4-5 years as a player under Selvig and then 24 as his assistant. She obviously saw how he successfully coached and managed players. Yet in the coaching world, exposure to different coaching styles is thought to be essential. Perhaps she could have used a few stops at other schools before taking the reigns here?
Sugar Bear 16
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:57 pm

grizpack wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:07 pm
Very tough situation. Shannon is a Griz lifer. Just didn't work out. These are the days that Kent isn't paid nearly enough. I wonder how this will affect the track program, if at all.

I wish Shannon the best. I would like to see Coville get it, and see Shannon stay on as an assistant. I think Nate would do a kick ass job.
I hope you realize this is a “college basketball program” you are referring to? It’s not some youth ball team coached by parents. So let’s hire a first-year 3rd assistant with no prior head college coaching experience to be the next head coach and then ask the former head coach who has over 30 years of college basketball playing and coaching experience to be his new 3rd assistant. Yep that is a kick-ass idea and one Kent Haslam should take to the bank. Seriously, what is the color of the sky in your world?
Sugar Bear 16
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:57 pm

You can judge her all you want in here you have the right to your opinion but I doubt 99% of the posters on here have ever played or coached at the D1 level or for some of you at any levels. You have no idea what is like to be in her shoes etc. The number of transfers ever year across all college sports has gone up year by year. The culture in sports today is more about “puppies and ice cream” then it is about being competitive and accountable etc. A large number of athletes today like winning if it comes easy but if they have to work hard for it and be held accountable for their short-comings, forget that. She was told she had to win before this last season and she plus her staff and players accomplished that. If she was given an extension, then that should have been honored. If the AD had concerns about transfers etc, then make that clear in the new contract and hold that standard. The choice that was made was very disrespectful towards a legendary player who has given 2/3 of her life so far to the program. She had to replace one of college basketball’s legendary coaches who won a ton of games etc. I don’t agree with Mr. Haslam’s decision and his next moves will be key for his future. If doesn’t find a successful replacement, then I hope he is shown the door.
PlayerRep
Posts: 27944
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Sugar Bear 16 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:08 am
You can judge her all you want in here you have the right to your opinion but I doubt 99% of the posters on here have ever played or coached at the D1 level or for some of you at any levels. You have no idea what is like to be in her shoes etc. The number of transfers ever year across all college sports has gone up year by year. The culture in sports today is more about “puppies and ice cream” then it is about being competitive and accountable etc. A large number of athletes today like winning if it comes easy but if they have to work hard for it and be held accountable for their short-comings, forget that. She was told she had to win before this last season and she plus her staff and players accomplished that. If she was given an extension, then that should have been honored. If the AD had concerns about transfers etc, then make that clear in the new contract and hold that standard. The choice that was made was very disrespectful towards a legendary player who has given 2/3 of her life so far to the program. She had to replace one of college basketball’s legendary coaches who won a ton of games etc. I don’t agree with Mr. Haslam’s decision and his next moves will be key for his future. If doesn’t find a successful replacement, then I hope he is shown the door.
I can see your point, but I don't think I've ever been "around" a college coach in any sport that has seemed to have more problems with players, and parents, and with more players leaving or thinking about leaving. My view is that the main reason she was hired in the first place, and kept this long, is because of her legendary status, as opposed to her strong coaching and personality attributes. I have been told by various people close to the program, including former LG, that their choice, at least among the assistants, would have been Duce. Some, but fewer, also liked Shannon.

To me, Haslam is/was in the best position to judge, without bias, the extent of the problem behind the scenes. How can a program achieve success if so many players are unhappy or leaving. Note that there are rumors (I don't know if they are true) that other players were considering leaving.

Haslam may have misfired on initial coaching hires in some sports, but he seems to do pretty well in round two. Ha. I don't agree that Haslam's choice of a LG coach in the future, is a make or break thing for him. Unless he were to really blow it, which I can't imagine he would do.
Sugar Bear 16
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:57 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:15 pm
Sugar Bear 16 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:08 am
You can judge her all you want in here you have the right to your opinion but I doubt 99% of the posters on here have ever played or coached at the D1 level or for some of you at any levels. You have no idea what is like to be in her shoes etc. The number of transfers ever year across all college sports has gone up year by year. The culture in sports today is more about “puppies and ice cream” then it is about being competitive and accountable etc. A large number of athletes today like winning if it comes easy but if they have to work hard for it and be held accountable for their short-comings, forget that. She was told she had to win before this last season and she plus her staff and players accomplished that. If she was given an extension, then that should have been honored. If the AD had concerns about transfers etc, then make that clear in the new contract and hold that standard. The choice that was made was very disrespectful towards a legendary player who has given 2/3 of her life so far to the program. She had to replace one of college basketball’s legendary coaches who won a ton of games etc. I don’t agree with Mr. Haslam’s decision and his next moves will be key for his future. If doesn’t find a successful replacement, then I hope he is shown the door.
I can see your point, but I don't think I've ever been "around" a college coach in any sport that has seemed to have more problems with players, and parents, and with more players leaving or thinking about leaving. My view is that the main reason she was hired in the first place, and kept this long, is because of her legendary status, as opposed to her strong coaching and personality attributes. I have been told by various people close to the program, including former LG, that their choice, at least among the assistants, would have been Duce. Some, but fewer, also liked Shannon.

To me, Haslam is/was in the best position to judge, without bias, the extent of the problem behind the scenes. How can a program achieve success if so many players are unhappy or leaving. Note that there are rumors (I don't know if they are true) that other players were considering leaving.

Haslam may have misfired on initial coaching hires in some sports, but he seems to do pretty well in round two. Ha. I don't agree that Haslam's choice of a LG coach in the future, is a make or break thing for him. Unless he were to really blow it, which I can't imagine he would do.
Been around? You hang out with college coaches all across the country all the time? The transfer issue has been a growing problem-hence why the NCAA had to make a new decision on the rule this past winter. I’m not disputing him having the right to do his job as he sees fit. I just don’t agree with it. I personally know one of the players who transferred her first season as head coach and trust me that player did the program a favor. This particular player’s father was on the Lavar Ball level of being a pain in the 🤬. As for former LG teammates of hers not liking her or wanting Duce that is irrelevant. I didn’t like everyone I played with in HS or college nor did I get along with or like all the coaches. That stuff happens all the time and there isn’t an athletic admin with their weight in gold that would base a termination on that and set that for a precedent. That would be a real stupid precedent to set. Bottom line is if you are going to fire someone with Shannon’s dedication to the program etc, well you better make sure the new hire works out because if it doesn’t, then I will remind everyone about what happened with Hogan and the Holst firing-Kennedy hiring and how all that worked out for Hogan.
Post Reply