• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Schweyen will not be retained as Lady Griz head coach

According to the article on 406mtsports.com, Shannon was told that she was going to be retained for next year. So, it appears she lost her job because Gabi Harrington and Kylie Frolich left the team.

TrueGriz said:
According to the article on 406mtsports.com, Shannon was told that she was going to be retained for next year. So, it appears she lost her job because Gabi Harrington and Kylie Frolich left the team.

Or did Gabi and Kylie leave because they knew Shannon was gone?

grizbro said:
TrueGriz said:

Nice...

grizbro said:
TrueGriz said:

No, Shannon was going to be retained until after they left.

"According to sources close to the University of Montana athletic department, Schweyen met with UM athletic director Kent Haslam on Wednesday afternoon. She is expected to meet with UM president Seth Bodnar on Thursday morning to finalize the non-renewal of her contract."

"Multiple sources with knowledge of the situation confirm that Mike Petrino will serve as the interim head coach for UM until the end of next season."

? So he's the interim coach through next season?

He's a great guy, I think.

Not too surprised, I thought this past season might have indicated a better trend, up until more quality players left the program, ( Fatkin leaving was a big dent), There were plenty of indicators with team chemistry problems that showed up on game day, and basic basketball was inconsistent. Shannon's frustrations with her players seemed legit at times, players just not executing consistently on both ends of the court. She may have held high expectations of her players, ones that she held for herself , a Steller Montana Grizzly Athlete. Thanks to Shannon for her contributions to Lady Griz Basketball.

Our initial take on the Shannon Schweyen non-renewal

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tootell-nuanez-april-2nd-2020-hour-1-shannon-schweyen/id1121407684?i=1000470351846

The discussion to extend occurred at Boise, it sounds like, or right after the tourney.

Contract ends on July 31. Coaches get one month notice of non-renewal for each year they have been employed. In this coach's case, 4 months notice. Four months were April 1, the date she was informed.

I now recall that O'Day got an extra full year of salary due to this notice requirement.

Good job by you guys. It was a good conversation to listen to. Thanks.

A question that I haven't really noted where it has been addressed, is there a labor lawsuit brewing where a coach is verbally told she will be given a two-year extension in early-March, then told "non-renewal" on April 1st ? :?:

Colter_Nuanez56 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tootell-nuanez-april-2nd-2020-hour-1-shannon-schweyen/id1121407684?i=1000470351846

Proud Griz Man said:
Good job by you guys. It was a good conversation to listen to. Thanks.

A question that I haven't really noted where it has been addressed, is there a labor lawsuit brewing where a coach is verbally told she will be given a two-year extension in early-March, then told "non-renewal" on April 1st ? :?:

Colter_Nuanez56 said:

In a claim, that would be argued, but note that Pflu had been offered a 3-year extension before he was fired. Also, coach contracts must be approved by the BOR et al and an AD can't bind UM. I made some posts on that subject with links to articles, in another thread in the hoops section.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Excellent podcast. Issues treated with sensitivity and perspective (backgorund & history & the undeniable achievements of Montana's greatest WBB player) without backing away from the issues that led to a change of direction.

Back