• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Did egriz Instigate This?

citygriz

Just askin'.

First, in not quite two weeks, the Lady Griz thread ran to six pages and had 9400 views. Just shows how much interest there is in this team, and its legacy.

Second, it's the most hard-core Griz fans who post here. And while I thought Shannon deserved another year, I also felt Haslam had to sit down with Shannon and make sure some structural changes were put into place. Many more of you wanted her fired--especially after all the transfers.

I can't help but believe that this thread was a factor in Haslam's decision.

I see this all as being at least in part due to Haslam being so new to the job himself.

Wasn't Shannon hired by the prior AD? She was a brand new coach with no head coaching experience when Kent became the AD. Shannon would have benefited from an AD who could give her some mentoring advice about recruiting and staffing.

I think Kent was so busy adjusting to the new job that Shannon didn't get the mentoring that she need. I don't want to lay blame at anyone's feet - it is what it is. But, a brand new coach needs a mature AD to provide guidance. I don't think she got it.

...quite possible...
...egriz has absolutely evolved...
...a credible think tank of everything griz and beyond...

... :ugeek: ...

Schweyen was informed by Grizzlies athletic director Kent Haslam on Wednesday that her contract will not be renewed. The Billings native said she was offered a new two-year deal by Haslam after the Big Sky Conference tournament in Boise, Idaho, in March, but Haslam changed course.

The above is the second paragraph of Bill Speltz's story about Shannon's contract not being renewed. Something happened since she was offered a 2 year deal and this. I don't believe in coincidences but it seems pretty weird to me that her contract wasn't renewed after that thread got so large and brought up all the problems about Shannon over the course of her 4 year head coaching stint. The thread brought her down and we have only ourselves to blame.

717s7e said:
I see this all as being at least in part due to Haslam being so new to the job himself.

Wasn't Shannon hired by the prior AD? She was a brand new coach with no head coaching experience when Kent became the AD. Shannon would have benefited from an AD who could give her some mentoring advice about recruiting and staffing.

I think Kent was so busy adjusting to the new job that Shannon didn't get the mentoring that she need. I don't want to lay blame at anyone's feet - it is what it is. But, a brand new coach needs a mature AD to provide guidance. I don't think she got it.

Kent Haslam was hired 9/17/2012 well before Shannon was hired as head coach. Haslam hired her and now fired her.

717s7e said:

Haslam was named AD in 2012 after O’Day was fired. He hired Shannon in 2016, 4 years after being hired as AD

citay said:
Just askin'.

First, in not quite two weeks, the Lady Griz thread ran to six pages and had 9400 views. Just shows how much interest there is in this team, and its legacy.

Second, it's the most hard-core Griz fans who post here. And while I thought Shannon deserved another year, I also felt Haslam had to sit down with Shannon and make sure some structural changes were put into place. Many more of you wanted her fired--especially after all the transfers.

I certainly hope not. Might give too many people ideas.

TrueGriz said:
Schweyen was informed by Grizzlies athletic director Kent Haslam on Wednesday that her contract will not be renewed. The Billings native said she was offered a new two-year deal by Haslam after the Big Sky Conference tournament in Boise, Idaho, in March, but Haslam changed course.

The above is the second paragraph of Bill Speltz's story about Shannon's contract not being renewed. Something happened since she was offered a 2 year deal and this. I don't believe in coincidences but it seems pretty weird to me that her contract wasn't renewed after that thread got so large and brought up all the problems about Shannon over the course of her 4 year head coaching stint. The thread brought her down and we have only ourselves to blame.

I will tell you what happened. Parents and players not being happy with the program/coaches. This is a consistent theme over several years. Kids leaving and not under good circumstances. Mediocrity and no sign of a turn around. Anyone thinking the move wasn’t necessary is delusional. SS personality was that of a shaker star player. She failed to covert that to a super star coach. Haslam did his job and the program will be better for it. He is supposed to protect the university and put all of the programs in a place to succeed. He didn’t get emotionally involved. He did his job and fans have clouded judgement. Move on.

Copper Griz said:
TrueGriz said:

I will tell you what happened. Parents and players not being happy with the program/coaches. This is a consistent theme over several years. Kids leaving and not under good circumstances. Mediocrity and no sign of a turn around. Anyone thinking the move wasn’t necessary is delusional. SS personality was that of a shaker star player. She failed to covert that to a super star coach. Haslam did his job and the program will be better for it. He is supposed to protect the university and put all of the programs in a place to succeed. He didn’t get emotionally involved. He did his job and fans have clouded judgement. Move on.

Nailed it! :thumb:

TrueGriz said:

Sounds like b.s. to me. If she were offered two years, she would have taken it. If she rejected it and asked for more, then she was foolish.

goatcreekgriz said:
TrueGriz said:

Sounds like b.s. to me. If she were offered two years, she would have taken it. If she rejected it and asked for more, then she was foolish.

Of course she was going to take it but Haslam is the one that changed his mind and now not renewing her contract.

TrueGriz said:
goatcreekgriz said:
TrueGriz said:

Of course she was going to take it but Haslam is the one that changed his mind and now not renewing her contract.

My theory to all this is that she was offered a 2 year contract as Bill Speltz reported as I have no reason to believe is wrong as one of his sources for his story is Shannon. Bill would not have made that up about the 2 year contract.

But after Gabi left, I, myself, thought of sending an email to Haslam about all the players leaving but didn't. But I am sure there were a lot fans thinking the same thing and actually did contact Haslam about it, and even more after Frolich quit. And that most likely made Haslam change his mind about the 2 year contract and not to renew Shannon's contract.

TrueGriz said:
TrueGriz said:
goatcreekgriz said:
TrueGriz said:

My theory to all this is that she was offered a 2 year contract as Bill Speltz reported as I have no reason to believe is wrong as one of his sources for his story is Shannon. Bill would not have made that up about the 2 year contract.

But after Gabi left, I, myself, thought of sending an email to Haslam about all the players leaving but didn't. But I am sure there were a lot fans thinking the same thing and actually did contact Haslam about it, and even more after Frolich quit. And that most likely made Haslam change his mind about the 2 year contract and not to renew Shannon's contract.
All I am saying is there likely was no bona fide firm offer. If there were, she would have accepted. Or she made a misguided counter-offer. Speltz is a decent sportswriter, not a lawyer.

citay said:
Just askin'.

No.

She's talking to her lawyer, apparently. Not the first time. Will be interesting to see if extension was "offered" in writing, like an email, and, if so, "accepted". Personally, I don't think that is or should be a valid contract for coaching contract anyway. In any event, later evidence of the players leaving and the program falling apart must be a reason for termination, or not renewing.

Maybe some fireworks, in this time of the stay at home virus?

PlayerRep said:
She's talking to her lawyer, apparently. Not the first time. Will be interesting to see if extension was "offered" in writing, like an email, and, if so, "accepted". Personally, I don't think that is or should be a valid contract for coaching contract anyway. In any event, later evidence of the players leaving and the program falling apart must be a reason for termination, or not renewing.

Maybe some fireworks, in this time of the stay at home virus?

From what is in the paper, it appears to me that the offer was verbal only. Not sure how binding that would be.

I believe any contract must be approved by BOR, thus any discussions would likely be preliminary and any “offer” would likely be conditional on BOR approval. Will be interesting to see what happens next. As I recall, Shannon’s father was a lawyer, so I am sure she knows a few.

Personally, I think she will severely damage her reputation if she gets a lawyer and asserts a claim. She and the program were unsuccessful. The program seems to have been falling apart in the lsat couple years. Except for some of her friends, who's going to support her now? Who thinks she got screwed by UM? I sure don't.

She got the job because of who she was. She didn't get the wins, and she apparently didn't have enough respect from enough players. Some parents apparently really didn't like her.

She should go quietly, and support the program. A lot of people don't like her.

If her supposed complaint went to trial, the number of witnesses, parents and former players, ripping her, would be huge. Is that what she wants?

I'm sure she's hurt and pissed, but I can't imagine she needs the job. And she can't get the job back, only money from UM which doesn't have any money.

goatcreekgriz said:
I believe any contract must be approved by BOR, thus any discussions would likely be preliminary and any “offer” would likely be conditional on BOR approval. Will be interesting to see what happens next. As I recall, Shannon’s father was a lawyer, so I am sure she knows a few.

Great point, but if Haslam sent a simple (dumb) email saying, I/we will extend you for 2 years because you had a decent season, and said nothing else, and she said, great and thanks; then there could be an argument.

If he said, I will recommend a two-year extension, then he andUM are okay.

If he said, I will recommend or offer a two-year extension, but need to talk to Bodnar and get BOR approval, then he/UM are in great shape.

With 10 or 15 people ripping on her, I can't see a jury or judge being very sympathetic.

Back