• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

National Search--Puh-leese!

citygriz

This is one case where I think somebody living outside Montana has a better perspective than many Montanans.

This: Montana has cachet! Missoula is perceived as a cool city, with an excellent school system. Both the football and men's basketball programs are doing well, the athletic facilities are first-rate, the Lady Griz are a storied program, and there are any number of great educational opportunities at the University--certainly in my area, business.

Please give us a real true bona-fide national search for the next coach. Montana deserves nothing less.

Yes, I want them to do a national search but they likely won't do that until next year. Heck, with coronavirus, we may not have a season next year.

citay said:
This is one case where I think somebody living outside Montana has a better perspective than many Montanans.

This: Montana has cachet! Missoula is perceived as a cool city, with an excellent school system. Both the football and men's basketball programs are doing well, the athletic facilities are first-rate, the Lady Griz are a storied program, and there are any number of great educational opportunities at the University--certainly in my area, business.

Please give us a real true bona-fide national search for the next coach. Montana deserves nothing less.

I agree with you for the most part, citay. If we are gonna change course from Shannon and our previous recruiting grounds (Montana, and a few Washingtonians) let's go for someone with subsantial connections, Whether that is from being an assistant in a top-tier conference or a proven D1 coach, I agree we need to broaden our recruiting spectrum.

i disagree that we have as much "cachet" as we think. The kind of recruits we need to get to the next level have grown up never hearing of the Lady Griz. No legit D1 girl b-ball recruit in Southern California knows anything about us. They need to be sold by a coach they believe in, not our attendance numbers. They will come to appreciate the fan-base but that is not what is gonna land recruits that will make a difference. It is ALL in who you know and who you can get to buy into your vision.

Zirg said:
citay said:

I agree with you for the most part, citay. If we are gonna change course from Shannon and our previous recruiting grounds (Montana, and a few Washingtonians) let's go for someone with subsantial connections, Whether that is from being an assistant in a top-tier conference or a proven D1 coach, I agree we need to broaden our recruiting spectrum.

i disagree that we have as much "cachet" as we think. The kind of recruits we need to get to the next level have grown up never hearing of the Lady Griz. No legit D1 girl b-ball recruit in Southern California knows anything about us. They need to be sold by a coach they believe in, not our attendance numbers. They will come to appreciate the fan-base but that is not what is gonna land recruits that will make a difference. It is ALL in who you know and who you can get to buy into your vision.

Spot on. :thumb:

Like hire a third party search firm to assist with a national search? And pay a bunch of money?

What would a national search really get UM? In this day and age, wouldn't most interested coaches notice when UM opened up the job? Or, get tipped off the friends?

Do you just want to hire someone outside the Montana playing/coaching circle? If so, why?

Link to a recent press release on a search and search firm: https://whoopdirt.com/uc-riverside-hires-ventura-partners-assists-womens-basketball-search/

Actually, since my original post, I've had a belated clarification of my previous thinking.

The more I read and the more I learn, I think Mike Petrino might the right choice--at least as a bridge from the Shannon era to the new one. Given his widely praised character combined with his record as a high school coach in Portland, I'd be willing to forgo the national search for now, to see just how far the Petrino bridge reaches.

citay said:
Actually, since my original post, I've had a belated clarification of my previous thinking.

The more I read and the more I learn, I think Mike Petrino might the right choice--at least as a bridge from the Shannon era to the new one. Given his widely praised character combined with his record as a high school coach in Portland, I'd be willing to forgo the national search for now, to see just how far the Petrino bridge reaches.

I know almost nothing about (this) Petrino, so I am keeping an open-mind about him. One thing I noticed is that he was a Boys HS coach in Portland for 5 years, his only head coach experience, and that was 9 years ago at a powerhouse prep school. They were Conference Champs in 2018 and 2019 as well, so everyone seems to have success there. Again, I am not saying he can't be good. But he's a total unknown. I just believe we can easily find someone with a better resume and connections, and we should have had that short-list ready before-hand.

I think one could assume that Kent Haslam already has his list of potential coaches and others will contact him. I say give Petrino a chance and see what happens and then do a search if necessary but I see no need for a national search firm--a waste of money which UM does not have

Zirg said:
citay said:

I know almost nothing about (this) Petrino, so I am keeping an open-mind about him. One thing I noticed is that he was a Boys HS coach in Portland for 5 years, his only head coach experience, and that was 9 years ago at a powerhouse prep school. They were Conference Champs in 2018 and 2019 as well, so everyone seems to have success there. Again, I am not saying he can't be good. But he's a total unknown. I just believe we can easily find someone with a better resume and connections, and we should have had that short-list ready before-hand.

He isn't a total unknown, because he's already coached at UM for a couple years, is known by Haslam and others, is known by the players, and has also been around MT much of his life.

PlayerRep said:
Like hire a third party search firm to assist with a national search? And pay a bunch of money?

What would a national search really get UM? In this day and age, wouldn't most interested coaches notice when UM opened up the job? Or, get tipped off the friends?

Do you just want to hire someone outside the Montana playing/coaching circle? If so, why?

Link to a recent press release on a search and search firm: https://whoopdirt.com/uc-riverside-hires-ventura-partners-assists-womens-basketball-search/

i don't trust anybody within the athletic department to perform a national search for a new women's coach. What connections does anybody have? Everybody in any level of power was hired from within.

My money is on the coach from NAU

kyle_sample said:
PlayerRep said:

i don't trust anybody within the athletic department to perform a national search for a new women's coach. What connections does anybody have? Everybody in any level of power was hired from within.

My money is on the coach from NAU

I have heard similar comments from a few people as well about a) the search and b) the group think that exists about where the program should go. I (for me) would hope they would take a long look at Katie Baker. I just don't know if she is on the radar, or how Haslam plans to conduct a search.

PlayerRep said:
Zirg said:

He isn't a total unknown, because he's already coached at UM for a couple years, is known by Haslam and others, is known by the players, and has also been around MT much of his life.

I mean that he's an unknown around the country and has no women's head coaching experience. I want someone with connections elsewhere-in big markets and/or international connections or a track record coaching D1. That's my whole point. It's time to look outside Montana-natives if we are gonna expand our usual recruiting pool.

Back