• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Would 2006 team get a 12 seed today?

CleanHOUSE said:
Genuinely asking, remember it quite well but at that point my in depth knowledge was focused on the football team, and just followed wins and losses a game or two per season with basketball. How does this stack up against the 14 seeds with Oguine and Rorie?

Got to thinking about it because i was watching the win over Nevada

https://www.facebook.com/umgrizzlies/videos/1571293406354100/

If they had similar victories against ranked and higher "mid-major" ranked teams, they would. That 2006 team beat Colorado State (who was ranked #24 or #25 at the time) at CSU, and also beat...I want to say #17 Stanford at home. If I'm recalling correctly, they also beat a team or 2 like Milwaukee-Wisconsin (at the time a higher "mid major ranking" team) on the road. Add that up with only a few in conference losses, winning the conference tourney and only losing by around 10 points or so to a 1 seed in the previous NCAA tourney - I think they get a 12.

I very well could be wrong in all the above and am just jumbling a bunch of seasons together :oops: - but that's my take.

Looks like Stanford was middling and we lost at home to Milwaukee and by 25pt to Idaho State. It not that impressive when I look at the schedule. We just didnt rack up the OC losses because. Played very even schedule vs similar mid tier mid majors and won those games.

It certainly would not be difficult to argue other GRIZ teams deserved a 12 seed as well.

But I think that '06 team had 3 things going for it:

1. The bsc wasn't too far removed from some of the tournament success that Weber had.

2. The waxing of Stanford. Yes, they were a little down (4th in the P12), but still an impressive win. It's the one thing recent GRIZ teams have not had many of: wins over P5 programs.

3. The 14 point win over at Oral Roberts in the Bracket Buster. ORU was a conference winner and tournament team, and that win, being late in the season, likely really stood out to the committee.

EverettGriz said:
It certainly would not be difficult to argue other GRIZ teams deserved a 12 seed as well.

1. The bsc wasn't too far removed from some of the tournament success that Weber had.

2. The waxing of Stanford. Yes, they were a little down (4th in the P12), but still an impressive win. It's the one thing recent GRIZ teams have not had many of: wins over P5 programs.

3. The 14 point win over at Oral Roberts in the Bracket Buster. ORU was a conference winner and tournament team, and that win, being late in the season, likely really stood out to the committee.

I remember celebrating the recent P5 win over Pitt....only to have Pitt lose like 18 games that year....

AZGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:

I remember celebrating the recent P5 win over Pitt....only to have Pitt lose like 18 games that year....

Yeah that wasn't an upset, turned out we were actually just more talented than that team, probably would win that game 7/10 times.

Back