• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Missoulian Article -Next Season

GrizWhiz

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/four-burning-questions-the-montana-mens-basketball-team-will-have-to-answer-next-season/article_48b954fc-be88-5954-9a27-5884961a526c.html

Looks like a pretty damn good roster as of right now. Satterwhite is a nice addition to the other transfers, if they can fit in and play at the level we expect then anything we get from the incoming freshman would be gravy.

In Joe Lunardi's "Too Early '21 Bracket" he has us earning a bid as a 15 seed. Obviously not worth much but it's at least a little interesting that a national guy has us winning the bid, especially with how often people here say that he has a bias against us.

DPGriz said:
Looks like a pretty damn good roster as of right now. Satterwhite is a nice addition to the other transfers, if they can fit in and play at the level we expect then anything we get from the incoming freshman would be gravy.

In Joe Lunardi's "Too Early '21 Bracket" he has us earning a bid as a 15 seed. Obviously not worth much but it's at least a little interesting that a national guy has us winning the bid, especially with how often people here say that he has a bias against us.
I think Satterwhite is an extremely underrated addition. After graduating Samuelson and Manuel, perimeter shooting is a sever need, and adding Satterwhite (38% for 3) is bound to help. Not to mention he is a very solid defender.
As far as shooting goes, Satterwhite alone isn’t enough. I’ve heard multiple times from Griz staff that Steadman can hit a couple from deep. I also think Vazquez is a 40% plus guy, and Gaskin and Owens can each hit a couple. I think as long as we can find some shooting, this team will win a LOT of games and has the potential to be better than the Oguine/Rorie/Akoh/Pridgett squads.

UMFan12 said:
DPGriz said:

I think Satterwhite is an extremely underrated addition. After graduating Samuelson and Manuel, perimeter shooting is a sever need, and adding Satterwhite (38% for 3) is bound to help. Not to mention he is a very solid defender.
As far as shooting goes, Satterwhite alone isn’t enough. I’ve heard multiple times from Griz staff that Steadman can hit a couple from deep. I also think Vazquez is a 40% plus guy, and Gaskin and Owens can each hit a couple. I think as long as we can find some shooting, this team will win a LOT of games and has the potential to be better than the Oguine/Rorie/Akoh/Pridgett squads.
Egun can shoot the 3 as well - though we didn't see it all that often due to his minutes in the rotation. He also showed glimpses this year of being the guy that can take the ball to the rack as well. It'll be interesting to see if he keeps progressing.

DPGriz said:

Agree on the roster though I doubt Lunardi has an anti UM bias as he most likely hasn't considered UM or any other Big Sky team for more than 30 seconds in his life.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
UMFan12 said:
Egun can shoot the 3 as well - though we didn't see it all that often due to his minutes in the rotation. He also showed glimpses this year of being the guy that can take the ball to the rack as well. It'll be interesting to see if he keeps progressing.

If Egun can develop a quick move to blow by guys his offensive potential is sky high. Or maybe he has one and just needs to relax and execute it without thinking. He's such a gifted athlete and it seems he just hasn't quite put it all together, but paydirt is within reach. Look out if he does. Going to be like Christmas seeing what this group will have next fall.

Hoops watcher said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

If Egun can develop a quick move to blow by guys his offensive potential is sky high. Or maybe he has one and just needs to relax and execute it without thinking. He's such a gifted athlete and it seems he just hasn't quite put it all together, but paydirt is within reach. Look out if he does. Going to be like Christmas seeing what this group will have next fall.

He has one, but you're right, he hasn't shown comfort in using it consistently in games without forgetting to put the ball on the floor first and traveling. Hopefully that comfort comes this season as he's quite a talent.

casewinter13 said:
Hoops watcher said:

He has one, but you're right, he hasn't shown comfort in using it consistently in games without forgetting to put the ball on the floor first and traveling. Hopefully that comfort comes this season as he's quite a talent.

You stated it in an unclumsy manner compared to me, agree completely. I see a guy with Mike O. blow by guys potential and to me he has a better looking jumper. Could be a huge difference maker next year.

Hoops watcher said:
casewinter13 said:

You stated it in an unclumsy manner compared to me, agree completely. I see a guy with Mike O. blow by guys potential and to me he has a better looking jumper. Could be a huge difference maker next year.

It only took me 90 minutes, 4 drafts and a proofreader to nail my response 👍 Completely agree with your assessment and comparison. Let's hope he sticks around for us to see it

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
UMFan12 said:

Yeah I think a major weakness this year was team speed. We had some guys who were strong with good body control the could start from the FT line and manuver their way to the hoop, but nobody that could collapse a D with speed. Egun was the only one that showed that. Hopefully him and Gaskins will bring more lighting next year. Last few years we have been a small fast team that can't shoot, but last few years our shooting has improved, and next year our size is set to improve (hopefully) Anderson/Henderson/Steadman + Owens and Hollinger...If we can recapture a little of the back court speed we had with Rorie and Co I see elite 8 easy peasy.

CleanHOUSE said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

Yeah I think a major weakness this year was team speed. We had some guys who were strong with good body control the could start from the FT line and manuver their way to the hoop, but nobody that could collapse a D with speed. Egun was the only one that showed that. Hopefully him and Gaskins will bring more lighting next year. Last few years we have been a small fast team that can't shoot, but last few years our shooting has improved, and next year our size is set to improve (hopefully) Anderson/Henderson/Steadman + Owens and Hollinger...If we can recapture a little of the back court speed we had with Rorie and Co I see elite 8 easy peasy.

I haven't seen enough of Egun to have a strong opinion about him, but he will be behind Gaskin. Gaskin is the real deal.

Back