• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Former Griz commit Rollie Worster on ESPN Montana

Colter_Nuanez56

Rollie talked a bit about de-committing from the Griz. To my knowledge, he'd never publicly described why he ultimately chose Utah State over Montana before this interview.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tootell-nuanez-april-14th-2020-hour-2-rollie-worster/id1121407684?i=1000471500506

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Rollie talked a bit about de-committing from the Griz. To my knowledge, he'd never publicly described why he ultimately chose Utah State over Montana before this interview.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tootell-nuanez-april-14th-2020-hour-2-rollie-worster/id1121407684?i=1000471500506

I think it is stupid for anyone to commit as a frosh or soph in high school. It shouldn't be allowed. I remember Brock Osweiler committed to Gonzaga for basketball as a frosh in high school. What's the point? Leave these kids alone. I wish the NCAA didn't allow commitments until their junior year, at least.

Zirg said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

I think it is stupid for anyone to commit as a frosh or soph in high school. It shouldn't be allowed. I remember Brock Osweiler committed to Gonzaga for basketball as a frosh in high school. What's the point? Leave these kids alone. I wish the NCAA didn't allow commitments until their junior year, at least.

This is a good point. Worster committed the summer after his freshman year when he was 14 or 15. What kid that young is going to get an offer from his hometown college and say "Great, I'm still weighing my options." Of course he committed. And then when he recruiting picks up the summer before his senior year, he de commits and makes a lot of people mad.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Zirg said:

This is a good point. Worster committed the summer after his freshman year when he was 14 or 15. What kid that young is going to get an offer from his hometown college and say "Great, I'm still weighing my options." Of course he committed. And then when he recruiting picks up the summer before his senior year, he de commits and makes a lot of people mad.

Wasn't Worster 16 after his freshman year?

A high school player cannot commit before the first signing period in November of his senior year.....a verbal commit is nothing but idle chatter....nothing binding at all with a verbal.....Many players back out of verbal commits....happens all the time....even a signed LOI is no guarantee that a player is going to play for a school as he can ask the school to let him out of his LOI which most schools will do.....What school would want to keep someone on scholarship who doesn't really want to be there.....They would probably be a cancer within the team.....

https://www.ncsasports.org/recruiting/managing-recruiting-process/national-signing-day

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/recruiting

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Zirg said:

On a positive note it gives sportswriters something to write about during lulls in the seasons.... :lol: :lol: It's not a binding commitment and if the kid wasn't local it would hardly be a story. The NCAA has no reason to "ban" it because it's just noise of no real consequence.

Okay, Rollie's recruitment "opened out" but was that the only reason he turned away from Montana? Or was it the young stud backcourt players we are recruiting.

Used to be ,a Montana player as good as Rollie was a cinch to come here, find playing time and become a star. No more.

But maybe I've just got a bias against Utah State. We've sent two players their way. One came back to play for the Griz. The other came back in a casket.

It's a much more complicated story than he is letting on. It is extremely unfortunate for both sides it did not work out. That being said everything happens for a reason and I'm sure it will work out just fine for both parties.

Back