• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NCAA Transfer Rule - Changes

717s7e

I have done a bit of research on this and have come up with this:

The NCAA Working Committee has strongly recommended that athletes be automatically granted a one-time transfer without losing a year of eligibility and without having to red shirt for a year. Presumably the athlete will need permission from the current college and be in good standing academically.

The Working Committee's recommendation has gone to the NCAA Council that will consider the proposal on April 24 and then presumably vote on it at their meeting on May 26.

But, this assumes that the NCAA council will actually meet on those days, hopefully by Zoom due to virus issues.

And, if the vote favors the one-time transfer as expected, there is some question as to whether the NCAA Council will implement the rule for 20-21 or wait until 21-22.

The NCAA is like a huge governmental bureaucracy, so don't bet on anything until it actually happens.

Plus, what a rip this all is for Naseem Gaskin who for no good reason (my opinion) was denied a transfer waiver. One would hope that the NCAA would remedy that with this legislation but that is no doubt too much to hope for.

Thanks for the research and summary. Looks right from what I've read. I can't imagine that they would adopt it for immediate use. I would think teams/schools need some lead time to prepare and evaluate. Not right before a season where there is already uncertainty and the inability to recruit and evaluate.

Latest posts

Back