• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Finally, some clarity on the Montana WBB situation

grizzlyjournal

I highly recommend Colter's link to the press conference to get a better grasp on the nuances of the situation. Link: https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-breakdown-haslam-petrino-on-lady-griz-coaching-change/

However, this story by the Missoulian's Bill Speltz provides clarity (and an explanation for the 3-week silence) on the issue. Still unresolved: the situation of three rostered players.

[media]https://twitter.com/quartzglen/status/1253144307629883392[/media]

Does anyone have the scoop on exactly who the remaining players are? Looks to me like 6-8 returning players at best.

FARMDAWG said:
Does anyone have the scoop on exactly who the remaining players are? Looks to me like 6-8 returning players at best.

Looking at the roster and rumor (that I've seen posted here (I think)) - returning players (not counting incoming transfers or supposed incoming recruits):
  • Sophia Stiles
  • Abby Anderson
  • Kylie Frohlich (rumored - on egriz(? - I can't remember) to have removed name from portal and is staying)
  • Carmen Gfeller
  • Maddie Schoening

That's what I got.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
FARMDAWG said:

Looking at the roster and rumor (that I've seen posted here (I think)) - returning players (not counting incoming transfers or supposed incoming recruits):
  • Sophia Stiles
  • Abby Anderson
  • Kylie Frohlich (rumored - on egriz(? - I can't remember) to have removed name from portal and is staying)
  • Carmen Gfeller
  • Maddie Schoening

That's what I got.

Leaving out the rumors, you have both Shelby and Jordyn Schweyen on the roster next year. They are both listed as returning in the press release yesterday but as Petrino says, it is still fluid. So, until they actually do leave, have to include them on the roster.

Three points from yesterday regarding the roster:

1. The current roster includes only Sophia Stiles, Abby Anderson, Kylie Frohlich and Maddie Schoening. However, coach Petrino specifically stated that the situation is still "fluid" regarding Jordyn and Shelby Schweyen and Carmen Gfeller, and that he expects to know more about their status within a week or two. So, current roster: 4 players.

2. Coach Petrino stated toward the end of the press conference that his staff has been in regular communication with the four incoming recruits. He also stated that recruitment never paused and that the recruitment/roster situation is in better shape than people might expect. I DO know that I've seen some twitter activity indicating offers the program has made to players in the class of 2021 over the last 7-10 days.

3. Lastly... much more than a hint from coach Petrino that his recruiting philosophy will have several new components (trying not to over-state things here...). I got the solid impression that coach Petrino is already in contact with recruits that reflect his personal philosophies. Apologies for such vague language on my part. However, I'm trying to allow for some eGrizzers to read between the lines (citay!). Hey... new coach, new program. It's time for aggressive efforts to broaden recruitment policies.

True Griz: Evidendly I was typing as you posted, hence duplication of info. :)

[media]https://twitter.com/faith_b12890/status/1248422250639814663[/media]

grizzlyjournal said:
Three points from yesterday regarding the roster:

1. The current roster includes only Sophia Stiles, Abby Anderson, Kylie Frohlich and Maddie Schoening. However, coach Petrino specifically stated that the situation is still "fluid" regarding Jordyn and Shelby Schweyen and Carmen Gfeller, and that he expects to know more about their status within a week or two. So, current roster: 4 players.

2. Coach Petrino stated toward the end of the press conference that his staff has been in regular communication with the four incoming recruits. He also stated that recruitment never paused and that the recruitment/roster situation is in better shape than people might expect. I DO know that I've seen some twitter activity indicating offers the program has made to players in the class of 2021 over the last 7-10 days.

3. Lastly... much more than a hint from coach Petrino that his recruiting philosophy will have several new components (trying not to over-state things here...). I got the solid impression that coach Petrino is already in contact with recruits that reflect his personal philosophies. Apologies for such vague language on my part. However, I'm trying to allow for some eGrizzers to read between the lines (citay!). Hey... new coach, new program. It's time for aggressive efforts to broaden recruitment policies.

True Griz: Evidendly I was typing as you posted, hence duplication of info. :)

Duly noted, journal.

[media]https://twitter.com/faith_b12890/status/1248422250639814663[/media]

grizzlyjournal said:

I am hoping this means they will go to the transfer portal for some recruits. Something that rarely happened with Selvig and Shannon. Annette Whitaker, Jill Greenfield, Vicki Austin, and Shaunte-Nance Johnson are the only players I know of that transferred to Montana. I believe Whitaker and Greenfield came from a Junior College, so that may be a little different.

Nice memory on the transfer list - the only other transfer recruit I recall is Robin's sister. Didn't she play at Flathead CC and then transferred to UM during Robin's first year??

TrueGriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:

I am hoping this means they will go to the transfer portal for some recruits. Something that rarely happened with Selvig and Shannon. Annette Whitaker, Jill Greenfield, Vicki Austin, and Shaunte-Nance Johnson are the only players I know of that transferred to Montana. I believe Whitaker and Greenfield came from a Junior College, so that may be a little different.
Shaunte Nance-Johnson played junior college ball as well. Remember, she and her husband (Anthony Johnson) were a package deal for both the Lady Griz and Griz basketball programs as they both transferred from Yakima Valley College prior to the 08-09 season.

TrueGriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Can we count Mandy Morales as a transfer?

Zirg said:
TrueGriz said:

I thought about her but she really didn't enroll in school at ASU. She asked to be released from the letter of intent and ASU did release her from it. So, that would not be transferring.

As for Transfers, Vicki Austin is the only true transfer from a division 1 school. The rest were from Junior Colleges. But the fact is, Robin and Shannon relied nearly 100% on high school students.

I did kind of forget that Shaunte came from a jc school. As for 717s7e mention of Robin's sister, that was Sandy Selvig. She transferred from Flathead Junior College. Unless I am missing someone else, there were only 5 players in history of Lady Griz basketball that came from a junior college (4) or transferred from another division 1 team (1).

So, hopefully, Petrino is going to use these sources for additional recruits.

TrueGriz said:
Zirg said:

I thought about her but she really didn't enroll in school at ASU. She asked to be released from the letter of intent and ASU did release her from it. So, that would not be transferring.

As for Transfers, Vicki Austin is the only true transfer from a division 1 school. The rest were from Junior Colleges. But the fact is, Robin and Shannon relied nearly 100% on high school students.

I did kind of forget that Shaunte came from a jc school. As for 717s7e mention of Robin's sister, that was Sandy Selvig. She transferred from Flathead Junior College. Unless I am missing someone else, there were only 5 players in history of Lady Griz basketball that came from a junior college (4) or transferred from another division 1 team (1).

Mandy had to sit out a year because she changed schools, whether that was a "transfer" or not is debatable, I guess.

With the ability to transfer and have instant eligibility now,we are likely to see an influx of transfers in the future whoever the coach is. This is a major change in the landscape and a coach with connections is gonna have a huge advantage.

Zirg said:
TrueGriz said:

Mandy had to sit out a year because she changed schools, whether that was a "transfer" or not is debatable, I guess.

With the ability to transfer and have instant eligibility now,we are likely to see an influx of transfers in the future whoever the coach is. This is a major change in the landscape and a coach with connections is gonna have a huge advantage.

Yes she did have to redshirt one year but since ASU released her from the letter of intent Mandy was able to play 4 years for the Lady Griz.

Cgamber7 - Good catch on Sammy Fatkin. I have been trying to think about the "way back" and didn't think of yesterday. Do you know what Sammy is doing now? As I recall, she is from the Spokane area - I did meet her parents - nice folks. Dad is a fireman.

cgamber7 said:
Sammy Fatkin transferred from the University of Arizona

Remember all the ones from many years ago but forget the most recent transfer. I kind of thought I was missing one. But maybe we should count the transfers that played a different sport at the school they transferred from. Caitlin Lonergan transferred here from MSU. Played volleyball at MSU.

717s7e said:
Cgamber7 - Good catch on Sammy Fatkin. I have been trying to think about the "way back" and didn't think of yesterday. Do you know what Sammy is doing now? As I recall, she is from the Spokane area - I did meet her parents - nice folks. Dad is a fireman.

I believe she just quit the game of basketball. Sad because she was a very good athlete

717s7e said:

Yes, I wondered about those of whom left the program because of the coaching dilemma. Sammy showed a whole bunch of talent and potential. When she left, I suspected something was up with the team/coach, (reliable sourced info pointed towards infighting between teammates) . And anyone who read the Missoulian today, and followed the FB#iamwith21 movement, there is more to the story, some of the coaching staff was, maybe still are supporting Shannon's retention. What a mess! Shannon needed to go, and as I have stated before, a whole bunch of dysfunction with this team. A facilitated Team Building session with the coaching staff ought to be mandatory. Ultimately, this makes me wonder how long the AD knew about the teams problems, and what if anything he might have intervened on in the course of 4 yrs.

You have to look at the common denominator when it comes to Sammy. That was the second program she left. Was it the programs or her inability to want to compete. Lady Griz were stacked at the guard position. Which is why Katie Mayhue left as well. Look at her season with UTA. Not a very good one. Kenzie Johnston, Sophia Stiles, Madi Schoening, Taylor Gologoski. Then sammy fatkin and Katie Mayhue. The 2 that transfered simply got beat out! Sammy quit mid season and Katie left because she new she couldn’t beat those girls out. Very entitled kids these days.

Back