• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Its time to rally and support our Lady Griz!

Grizinator1

There are many issues that I have with all that is happening surrounding the Lady Griz Basketball program!
The movement to re-hire a former coach is laughable. Regardless of her storied playing days and tight connections in the community, she wasn't able to coach these women to the past glory days of success. The mentality of "It worked for 30 years so why change it" doesn't carry the same weight because she wasn't Robin Selvig. She struggled to adapt to the ever changing moments within the game and refused to empower her assistants to help. SHE WAS OUT-COACHED almost every game! There is a small group of folks that are blind to this because of who she was and the relationship they have built with her. In fact, does anyone except the coaches, players and administration really know anything about the culture of the locker room??? The program is bigger than 1 person, shouldn't we be supporting the student athletes that are still within and entering the program instead of slandering them! Also, anyone out there whom says that the student athletes "got her fired" is an ignorant statement. The administration made a decision over a long period of time(2-3 years), not just within 20 days after the end of the Big Sky Tournament. Come on people, the athletes don't have that much power....think about it!
Please know ALL PLAYERS and I mean ALL that left the program post season were already planning to leave BEFORE the non-renewal of Shannon's contract. I think people are failing to acknowledge that there are two-sides to the story. It is very evident that we are only hearing from 1 vocal side. The other side has chosen to remain silent out of respect for the program and those involved intimately with it including coaches and players.
Respect to Shannon as being a Great, if not the Greatest and storied player in Montana and Big Sky Conference history!
Its time to rally around this program, the coaches and most importantly, The Lady Griz!

Grizinator1 said:
There are many issues that I have with all that is happening surrounding the Lady Griz Basketball program!
The movement to re-hire a former coach is laughable. Regardless of her storied playing days and tight connections in the community, she wasn't able to coach these women to the past glory days of success. The mentality of "It worked for 30 years so why change it" doesn't carry the same weight because she wasn't Robin Selvig. She struggled to adapt to the ever changing moments within the game and refused to empower her assistants to help. SHE WAS OUT-COACHED almost every game! There is a small group of folks that are blind to this because of who she was and the relationship they have built with her. In fact, does anyone except the coaches, players and administration really know anything about the culture of the locker room??? The program is bigger than 1 person, shouldn't we be supporting the student athletes that are still within and entering the program instead of slandering them! Also, anyone out there whom says that the student athletes "got her fired" is an ignorant statement. The administration made a decision over a long period of time(2-3 years), not just within 20 days after the end of the Big Sky Tournament. Come on people, the athletes don't have that much power....think about it!
Please know ALL PLAYERS and I mean ALL that left the program post season were already planning to leave BEFORE the non-renewal of Shannon's contract. I think people are failing to acknowledge that there are two-sides to the story. It is very evident that we are only hearing from 1 vocal side. The other side has chosen to remain silent out of respect for the program and those involved intimately with it including coaches and players.
Respect to Shannon as being a Great, if not the Greatest and storied player in Montana and Big Sky Conference history!
Its time to rally around this program, the coaches and most importantly, The Lady Griz!

Yes! Time to support our new Head Coach Mike Petrino, his staff and the 2020-21 Lady Griz team. The Shannon movement article in today's Missoulian inspired me to contact President Bodner and Commissioner Christian with messages of support for Haslam's decision. I also e-mailed Coach Petrino to offer support and got a nice reply. You can contact him at: [email protected]

Grizinator1 said:

What incoming player or current player for Montana has been slandered?

I'm not sure what specifically Grizinator was referring to regarding slander, especially from this board where everybody seems relatively reasonable and open minded. However, a quick review of Shannon's "support me" facebook page reveals many instances of folks stepping over the line into this territory. To keep it in generalizations so I don't give the insinuations further legs to run, the following ideas have been thrown around in various forms among that group:

- Suspicions that Petrino was somehow involved in her dismissal (laughable)
- Speculations on who the 1-2 other current players are that might have threatened to leave and what their motivations were (whiny, not enough playing time, entitled, etc.). Few are mentioned directly by name, but enough info is provided to understand who they are talking about.

I agree with Grizinator's post, especially if it was directed at all of Griz Nation. I just hope the message filters over to those on the facebook page who'd rather burn the whole thing down than acknowledge the shortcomings of the program under the previous coach and work to build something better going forward.

With Shannon what's done is done. Leave the 21 moment behind. I am looking forward to a new chapter in Lady Griz basketball. Hopefully with a better managed offence and defense. And girls who once again are proud to call themselves part of a great experience. Good post Grizinator. I believe Mike has got this. He knows the sum of the parts equal the whole. A concept clearly missed by the 21 posters.

ThinkingGriz said:
With Shannon what's done is done. Leave the 21 moment behind. I am looking forward to a new chapter in Lady Griz basketball. Hopefully with a better managed offence and defense. And girls who once again are proud to call themselves part of a great experience. Good post Grizinator. I believe Mike has got this. He knows the sum of the parts equal the whole. A concept clearly missed by the 21 posters.

+1

ThinkingGriz said:

Well stated, yes time to move on. I can assume there is a plan for the transition that involves minimizing any semblances of mixed alliances of the ex-Shannon team players/coaches (facilitated team building). I note in the "21" information some of the coaches at one point were favorable to Shannon's retention, negative comments by one of her daughters towards the ADs was not healthy. I for one could not imagine coaching her daughters, if they held animosity towards any aspect of team play, coaches, the school to include admin staff.

MTbest said:
ThinkingGriz said:

Well stated, yes time to move on. I can assume there is a plan for the transition that involves minimizing any semblances of mixed alliances of the ex-Shannon team players/coaches (facilitated team building). I note in the "21" information some of the coaches at one point were favorable to Shannon's retention, negative comments by one of her daughters towards the ADs was not healthy. I for one could not imagine coaching her daughters, if they held animosity towards any aspect of team play, coaches, the school to include admin staff.

Listened to Mike Krukow on the radio this morning. Ex Giant/Cub pitcher. Now a color announcer for the Giants.

Was asked, "Do you believe in team chemistry?" Answer: "Absolutely! You cannot win without team chemistry. And one player can ruin it!"

He then told the story of a minor league team he was on. All rooks except for their best pitcher, who'd had some big league experience. This guy was sarcastic and often negative, but the kids loved his stories.

One day they came in, his locker was cleaned out. Manager said, "Too much negativity. And if I hear any of it from you, that's what your locker will look like too." The kids thought they couldn't win without their best pitcher. But they did. Won the pennant. Played much better without the negative influence.

As I listened, I thought of Shannon's daughters. I don't know how you could possibly build team chemistry with them still on the team. Or why they would want to stay.

I used the link above and sent a message of support to Mike Petrino and the Lady Griz and got a nice reply back.
Go Griz

In Missoulian - letters to the editor today.
No disrespect for Schweyen
I have been a Lady Griz fan for 20 years and am surprised by the advertisement for Shannon Schweyen. Nothing I have seen from the university has questioned her character or integrity. Quite the opposite.
But what they have seen is that Schweyen is not gifted as a head coach. Not everyone is. It doesn't negate her outstanding career as a player and assistant coach.
I'm sorry she felt blindsided, but she isn't the first or last coach to not have their contract renewed unexpectedly. Would an apology help?
This is one season ticket holder who appreciates Schweyen's strengths and talent but who thinks she's not been able to lead the talent on the team to where they could go. Go Lady Griz!
Janet Malone, Missoula

Dillon said:
In Missoulian - letters to the editor today.
No disrespect for Schweyen
I have been a Lady Griz fan for 20 years and am surprised by the advertisement for Shannon Schweyen. Nothing I have seen from the university has questioned her character or integrity. Quite the opposite.
But what they have seen is that Schweyen is not gifted as a head coach. Not everyone is. It doesn't negate her outstanding career as a player and assistant coach.
I'm sorry she felt blindsided, but she isn't the first or last coach to not have their contract renewed unexpectedly. Would an apology help?
This is one season ticket holder who appreciates Schweyen's strengths and talent but who thinks she's not been able to lead the talent on the team to where they could go. Go Lady Griz!
Janet Malone, Missoula

Thank you, Janet. A good, reasoned answer to the Movement folk.

You have to ask yourself what is the best possible outcome from this “21 movement.” If the best possible outcome isn’t that great, then Shannon should probably distance herself from it publicly and quickly move on.

I have been trying to figure out what the goal or purpose of this Movement 21 is. I review the Facebook postings and see a lot of hate filled rhetoric and I guess the desire is to see Haslam gone and to make their voice is heard., The latest is if you donate $75 to the "cause" you are entered into a contest for a trip to Mexico. It would be much better for the entire Schweyen family to distance themselves from all of this "stuff" Take the high road and move on! Coaches all over the country do not get their contracts removed and for the most part they move on to bigger and better things and take the high road

My two cents, I think Shannon's response says a lot about her. Most coaches would go quietly and take the high road to preserve future opportunities. The 21 Movement is all about people that still believe in Shannon as a player (which can not be questioned) and/or people that have become good adult buddies with her. This movement has absolutely nothing to do with her coaching performance, behavior as a coach, or treatment of players.

citay said:
As I listened, I thought of Shannon's daughters. I don't know how you could possibly build team chemistry with them still on the team. Or why they would want to stay.

This is a very good point. Team chemistry absolutely matters. At a minimum, you have to question the girls' allegiance to the new coaching staff with this type of change. My hope is that if they stay they demonstrate the character to play beyond this situation and add to a positive team chemistry. If not, the poison needs to go.

AllWeatherFan said:
You have to ask yourself what is the best possible outcome from this “21 movement.” If the best possible outcome isn’t that great, then Shannon should probably distance herself from it publicly and quickly move on.

They want Haslam fired... that’s their only motivation. She’s not coming back as HC and nor would she. It’s basically a big cry fest now. I get it, the university didn’t communicate well at all with her and that is a poor job by the university. However, it’s very obvious by the various sources that there was multiple players that left or wanted to leave due to Shannon. She only graduated 5 players over her 4 years. She had a losing record, 1-7 vs MSU. She already was on a 1 year contract, boosters were not convinced of the turn around. Multiple players and Griz alumni were vocal to boosters about the worries with personnel and ability to inspire and retain players. While it’s easy to sit by and cry foul at the university.... sometimes we just have to look at it it this way... Halsam probably did think this last year was enough to believe in her! Then her heard some rumbles, talked to players, talked to alumni and boosters... talked to the pres and decided to move in a different direction. Didn’t want to fire her, was just gonna play it out with all this covid chaos. Media outlets found out from boosters and alumni/players. They reported it. Shannon felt betrayed. Her family went nuts in the media. At that point haslam the the university had to sit back and find an approach. Her contract isn’t up for months still. UM is in a hire freeze. All those things means it takes time to figure out what the plan is and the last thing they wanted to do is discuss it with Shannon before they even knew what they needed to do or were going to do. It’s just a bad situation. Neither side is “wrong” UM could have done better, Shannon in my mind didn’t need to be renewed. For everyone to tear down Shannon’s legacy and the universities historic women’s program is extreme! People just have a ton of time on their hands right now.

mtgrizfankb said:
AllWeatherFan said:

They want Haslam fired... that’s their only motivation. She’s not coming back as HC and nor would she. It’s basically a big cry fest now. I get it, the university didn’t communicate well at all with her and that is a poor job by the university. However, it’s very obvious by the various sources that there was multiple players that left or wanted to leave due to Shannon. She only graduated 5 players over her 4 years. She had a losing record, 1-7 vs MSU. She already was on a 1 year contract, boosters were not convinced of the turn around. Multiple players and Griz alumni were vocal to boosters about the worries with personnel and ability to inspire and retain players. While it’s easy to sit by and cry foul at the university.... sometimes we just have to look at it it this way... Halsam probably did think this last year was enough to believe in her! Then her heard some rumbles, talked to players, talked to alumni and boosters... talked to the pres and decided to move in a different direction. Didn’t want to fire her, was just gonna play it out with all this covid chaos. Media outlets found out from boosters and alumni/players. They reported it. Shannon felt betrayed. Her family went nuts in the media. At that point haslam the the university had to sit back and find an approach. Her contract isn’t up for months still. UM is in a hire freeze. All those things means it takes time to figure out what the plan is and the last thing they wanted to do is discuss it with Shannon before they even knew what they needed to do or were going to do. It’s just a bad situation. Neither side is “wrong” UM could have done better, Shannon in my mind didn’t need to be renewed. For everyone to tear down Shannon’s legacy and the universities historic women’s program is extreme! People just have a ton of time on their hands right now.
Wow - Just Wow - Time to move on everyone!

mtgrizfankb said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Interesting and informative post. Thx.

I sent email directly to Mike Petrino stating my support and hopes for the future. His response was clearly not a form letter as he specifically mentioned things I said. Even offered to share with team one statement I made. Sounds like he is motivated and looking forward to the upcoming season. Also I get impression he is a good guy, and exactly what this team needs right now.

ordigger said:
I sent email directly to Mike Petrino stating my support and hopes for the future. His response was clearly not a form letter as he specifically mentioned things I said. Even offered to share with team one statement I made. Sounds like he is motivated and looking forward to the upcoming season. Also I get impression he is a good guy, and exactly what this team needs right now.

If you like and respect your coaches you will play your ***** off for them. Oh wait a minute - never mind! :lol:

Back