• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mike Petrino on ESPN radio

Colter_Nuanez56

The first of I'm sure many interviews with Petrino. We made this more about basketball and his background than the ongoing controversy surrounding the program. Hell, I'm tired of all the negativity given our already depressing world situation. So here's Mike Petrino talking about hoops.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tootell-and-nuanez-april-30th-2020-hour-1-mike-petrino/id1121407684?i=1000473209309

This is a great interview. Thanks for sharing.

After announcing our solid JUCO pick up from Missouri, Coach hints at hopefully “we have some more good news to share soon”. I think these guys have another player or two locked up already and will be announcing soon. Our newest recruit hinted at some 5s joining the program.

Kind of interesting/exciting to await possible new signees that may not be from Helena, MT or Missoula Sentinel.

Thanks for this great interview with coach Petrino, Colter! Packed with info throughout, and a very good "first impression" of Mr. Petrino. Loved the story of how Hannah and her family "revealed" the commitment, and got a kick out of him trying to describe the unique coaching profile of his Montana family name. I can personally vouch for Mike's cousin Joe... the guy who decided to be a dentist.

Highly recommend eGrizzers give this a listen. One thing stands out for me from this interview: Mike saying, "We're going to look all over for the right players for this program."

Excellent introduction to Mike Petrino. First impressions are important, and mine is a good one. He's obviously a people person--funny, eager to learn and obviously passionate about basketball and his players. Confirms my opinion that he will be an excellent choice to get us through this period of turmoil in the program.

But something he said caught my attention, and pointed to another truth that I had missed.

When asked about his relationship with Shannon, he offered praise to her as one of the most legendary players in the history of the program. And he thanked her for giving him the opportunity to join the Lady Griz program.

But at no point did his voice carry warmth toward her. Respect? Absolutely. But no sense of affection, and certainly no remorse at the way she'd been treated.

Come to think of it, all four assistant coaches--Petrino, Nathan Covill, Jordan Sullivan and Jace Henderson--were brought in by Shannon, yet no sign of rebellion among them about the way she was treated, no outrage, no protestations. Beyond Jamie Pickens transferring to Carroll, I see no signs of major upheaval within the program itself, the Facebook assault notwithstanding.

And this even includes Shannon's daughters who so far have remained with the program.

Of course there were questions I'd like to have heard asked:

--In the history of the program, only three African-American players have donned a Lady Griz uniform--only one of whom was actively recruited during the entire Robin/Shannon era. Will that change under the Petrino tenure? A white kid from Helena would like to know since he's noticed through the years how important African-American athletes are not only to intercollegiate programs such as the Montana's men's basketball team, but also to professional teams. It can't be taboo to raise this subject, can it?

--Having mentioned Shannon's daughters--what is his relationship with them? Certainly he's spoken to them. Certainly he has some even vague knowledge of their intentions, if for no other reason that their decisions affect recruiting.

As in all good interviews, both God and the Devil reside in the details.

citay said:
Excellent introduction to Mike Petrino. First impressions are important, and mine is a good one. He's obviously a people person--funny, eager to learn and obviously passionate about basketball and his players. Confirms my opinion that he will be an excellent choice to get us through this period of turmoil in the program.

But something he said caught my attention, and pointed to another truth that I had missed.

When asked about his relationship with Shannon, he offered praise to her as one of the most legendary players in the history of the program. And he thanked her for giving him the opportunity to join the Lady Griz program.

But at no point did his voice carry warmth toward her. Respect? Absolutely. But no sense of affection, and certainly no remorse at the way she'd been treated.

Come to think of it, all four assistant coaches--Petrino, Nathan Covill, Jordan Sullivan and Jace Henderson--were brought in by Shannon, yet no sign of rebellion among them about the way she was treated, no outrage, no protestations. Beyond Jamie Pickens transferring to Carroll, I see no signs of major upheaval within the program itself, the Facebook assault notwithstanding.

And this even includes Shannon's daughters who so far have remained with the program.

--In the history of the program, only three African-American players have donned a Lady Griz uniform--only one of whom was actively recruited during the entire Robin/Shannon era. Will that change under the Petrino tenure? A white kid from Helena would like to know since he's noticed through the years how important African-American athletes are not only to intercollegiate programs such as the Montana's men's basketball team, but also to professional teams. It can't be taboo to raise this subject, can it?

--Having mentioned Shannon's daughters--what is his relationship with them? Certainly he's spoken to them. Certainly he has some even vague knowledge of their intentions, if for no other reason that their decisions affect recruiting.

I have heard that behind closed doors, the coaches still on staff have voiced some displeasure about the move, but none will do it in public. They have too much respect for the program and the girls to rock the boat, they will continue to do what it takes to get the program back to the highest level.

grizindabox said:
citay said:

I have heard that behind closed doors, the coaches still on staff have voiced some displeasure about the move, but none will do it in public. They have too much respect for the program and the girls to rock the boat, they will continue to do what it takes to get the program back to the highest level.

Was thinking the same thing but will add that it would be counter productive to bring up anything negative about Shannon from Mr. Petrino!

Back