• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Basketball Season

citygriz

Will there be one?

What are the odds.

This virus is a merciless relentless bugger. It attacks blue states, red states and White Houses. It shows no respect for Prime Ministers, Administration Aides, Rose Garden Press Conferences or Lincoln Memorial town halls.

It could care less about Big Sky basketball.

I applaud Captain Clorox for re-opening the economy.

But have we done enough "home" work?

Only the virus knows.

One thing is worrisome. No matter how well Montana or other Western states are doing by December to "flatten the curve," the decision will be made from above. By the big states. By the NBA.

Last time I spoke to my brother in Portland, he was lamenting that the Oregon women's team lost a shot at a national title behind the spectacular Sabrina Ionescu.

Dayton felt slighted because they thought they could win it all with Obi Toppin, likely a top three draft choice.

We all know this is the year DeCuire has pointed to, with a bona fide big to go with all the blossoming young talent we have.

Will we too wind up feeling cheated?

Sure hope not.

But as of today, it remains very much an open question.

Football season...or lack thereof....will help make the call. Seems most Big Sky schools could make "social distancing" work with their fans!

citay said:
Will there be one?

What are the odds.

This virus is a merciless relentless bugger. It attacks blue states, red states and White Houses. It shows no respect for Prime Ministers, Administration Aides, Rose Garden Press Conferences or Lincoln Memorial town halls.

Only the virus knows.

One thing is worrisome. No matter how well Montana or other Western states are doing by December to "flatten the curve," the decision will be made from above. By the big states. By the NBA.

Last time I spoke to my brother in Portland, he was lamenting that the Oregon women's team lost a shot at a national title behind the spectacular Sabrina Ionescu.

Dayton felt slighted because they thought they could win it all with Obi Toppin, likely a top three draft choice.

We all know this is the year DeCuire has pointed to, with a bona fide big to go with all the blossoming young talent we have.

Sure hope not.

The folks down here are quite positive that USC would have had no problem in beating the Oregon women. Too bad they did not get the chance. As for next season, there is talk down here of a Southern season, if it comes to that. I can see some very good FCS football should that happen. Not likely though.

GrizLA said:
citay said:
Will there be one?

What are the odds.

Only the virus knows.

Sure hope not.

The folks down here are quite positive that USC would have had no problem in beating the Oregon women. Too bad they did not get the chance. As for next season, there is talk down here of a Southern season, if it comes to that. I can see some very good FCS football should that happen. Not likely though.

Sure, why not. USC only lost to the Ducks by 26 at home in the league season. No brainer they would have knocked them out in the post season :shock: And people say Griz fans wear maroon colored glasses.

Hoops watcher said:
GrizLA said:

Sure, why not. USC only lost to the Ducks by 26 at home in the league season. No brainer they would have knocked them out in the post season :shock: And people say Griz fans wear maroon colored glasses.

Different USC. I think he's talking about the University of South Carolina.

citay said:
Hoops watcher said:

Dad gum Western Bias on my part +LA= :lol:

I don't know why you made a sarcastic political comment. :roll: :roll:

The raging problems with the Virus are the high-rate of Infections and Deaths inside Nursing Homes/Assisted-care facilities and the Prisons/Jails, and you will note that those people are already locked-up and not free to roam. :shock:

citay said:
Only the virus knows.

Proud Griz Man said:

The raging problems with the Virus are the high-rate of Infections and Deaths inside Nursing Homes/Assisted-care facilities and the Prisons/Jails, and you will note that those people are already locked-up and not free to roam. :shock:

citay said:
Only the virus knows.

citay said:
Proud Griz Man said:

I heard--so it's definitely hearsay--that Mark Cuban hired people to go around checking on the re-opened areas of the country, to see if they were observing even the watered-down guidelines proposed by the CDC--masks, social distancing, et. al. And how many do you think were complying--80%? 50%%? 25%? If you picked 25%, you'd still be over by....21%.That's right: 4%!

There's a company in Toronto, Blue Dot. Check them out. They not only monitor virus outbreaks around the world, they track airline flights to and from the areas where there's an outbreak. On December 31, New Year's Eve, they alerted Toronto-area hospitals that there was a major virus in Wuhan, China, and that airline flights from there were going to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Italy, Toronto and New York. Toronto-area hospitals were able to stock up on supplies well ahead of the rest of us.

America, meanwhile, was way too slow to react. This is not a political debate; it is an observable fact, backed up by statistics--nearly 90,000 deaths in three months, with projections well beyond that.

I actually feel sorry for President Trump. He's a great politician, and like all great politicians through history, he's mastered the media--not only TV but also social media. He fully understands the news cycle. And while he's got character flaws, he's also an outgoing, affable people person, with a contagious optimism. And of course: This virus was not his fault.

At the same time, this pandemic is a case where his optimism got the best of him. His statements--the pandemic is a "hoax;" we have it fully under control; it will magically go away; sunlight, injections of disinfectants will cure it--are just not, shall we say, in conformity with objective reality, no matter they were delivered from the most powerful pulpit in the world.

So now we're ready to re-open the economy? The virus is gone? Or contained inside prisons and senior citizen homes? But--how about meat packing plants, beach parties, religious gatherings? How would Mardi Gras be much different from a football stadium with 60,000 people packed in it? Or 5000 people inside Dahlberg Arena?

Don't think I'm happy about this. My business is on a ventilator. I'm getting by for now without pro basketball or major league baseball but come college football and basketball seasons, I'll be be cryin' the blues. Just as both our major programs are ready to rumble.

But if you think we're through this, you need to be tested for more than just the virus.

OK mr. super smart fella - which test are you recommending to me ?

You make that sly little snide comment, after leading off with a story that you get your research information from Mark Cuban ?

citay said:
But if you think we're through this, you need to be tested for more than just the virus.

SACRAMENTO — Nearly half of all deaths related to COVID-19 in California are linked to elder care facilities, a data analysis by the Los Angeles Times has found, with the state releasing new data suggesting that there have been many more outbreaks than previously disclosed.
At least 1,276 people have died after being infected with the coronavirus in skilled nursing or assisted living facilities in California, accounting for more than 49% of total fatalities reported by the state.

The novel coronavirus has killed more than 2,400 elderly and disabled New Yorkers at nursing homes and assisted living facilities, including 172 in Westchester County alone, new data show.
The newly reported death toll underscored how COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, is ravaging nursing homes tasked with protecting some of the most vulnerable people.

Coronavirus outbreaks continue to ravage Illinois nursing homes as new state data show at least 1,553 deaths associated with long-term care facilities.
The death toll climbed by 471 from 1,082 reported a week ago. Nursing home deaths now account for nearly 48% of the 3,241 fatalities statewide, according to weekly figures released by the Illinois Department of Public Health Friday.

And somehow, with your superior Intellect, you concluded that I think we are through this ? Prove that I ever said that !

The state and local governmental officials do not want more attention focused on their inadequate licensing and monitoring of nursing home safety systems.
They want to focus everyone's attention on other areas.
Thousands of people are infected and dying inside the state-regulated nursing homes and assisted-care facilities, but the politicians are severely worried about the NBA players and coaches.

The Los Angeles Lakers will open their practice facility on Saturday after getting clearance from city and county health officials, per a report by The Athletic and Stadium’s Shams Charania. The Lakers facility will not be open every day of the week, Charania reported. The NBA imposed strict regulations for those that do open their facilities in line with local government restrictions and policy.

Per the NBA memo:

No more than four players would be permitted at a facility at any one time.

No head or assistant coaches could participate.

Group activity remains prohibited, including practices or scrimmages.

Players remain prohibited from using non-team facilities such as public health clubs, fitness centers, or gyms

Told ya, my Cuban results were hearsay. Here's a link to what he really said--that only 4% of businesses they checked out were 100% compliant. But other companies were at least partially compliant so it wasn't as bad as I made it out to be.

https://blogmaverick.com/2020/05/07/i-hired-a-team-of-secret-shoppers-to-find-out-how-businesses-were-opening-in-dallas-its-not-good/

Hoops watcher said:
citay said:

USC equals Southern Cal 99% of the time in my experience and since his handle is "GrizLA", I am sure everyone that read his post also thought he was talking about So Cal.

Also, Dayton would have been a nice non-traditional power to root for, but despite a great record they did not beat any ranked teams, and I did not believe they were legit contenders, but I guess we'll never know.

Zirg said:
Hoops watcher said:

USC equals Southern Cal 99% of the time in my experience and since his handle is "GrizLA", I am sure everyone that read his post also thought he was talking about So Cal.

Also, Dayton would have been a nice non-traditional power to root for, but despite a great record they did not beat any ranked teams, and I did not believe they were legit contenders, but I guess we'll never know.

With you on Dayton. I always pull for the little guy but by the time the last 8 roll around it's the usual suspects that go through the power conference grind that have had a steady diet of quality teams. It is enjoyable to see a few dogs get some nips in the early rounds.

Back