• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stupid Nicknames!

citygriz

UTAH JAZZ: What does Utah have to do with Jazz? Jazz is truly a black art form—full thanks to Cain’s descendants. Yet up until a few years ago, the Mormon Church did not tolerate black people. Give “Jazz” back to New Orleans. Let Utah be the “Seagulls.”
LOS ANGELES LAKERS: Oh, sure, Los Angeles has lakes—most of them man-made or a good drive from the City Center. But not like Minneapolis, the original namesake of this franchise. Los Angeles has traffic and freeways. A better nickname: “The Smog.”
HELENA CRIMSON BENGALS: Never understood this nickname. The Bengal is a medium to large domestic cat, not the huge ferocious tiger that hung on the wall at one end of our basketball court. And how did “Crimson” fit in anyway? The right nickname was right there all along, after the name of our annual parade and stadium: “The Vigilantes.” Nice going East Helena!
C.M. RUSSELL RUSTLERS: Like the Vigilantes, the Rustlers were law-breakers. Good! But given the relationship Montana has had to The Zodiac, Wayne Nance, Edmund Kemper, the Unabomber and John Wayne Gacy, this school should have gone all out: “The Serial Killers.”
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS: Nee Philadelphia Warriors. But what place do Warriors have in the idyllic Golden State ? And now that the franchise has moved across the Bay, there’s talk they’ll soon re-name the franchise after San Francisco. How about “The Quiche?” (No, no…not THAT nickname!)
MONTANA STATE BOBCATS: Given all the construction going on in Bozeman, I have no problem with this nickname.
MONTANA GRIZZLIES: We’re good!

citay said:
UTAH JAZZ: What does Utah have to do with Jazz? Jazz is truly a black art form—full thanks to Cain’s descendants. Yet up until a few years ago, the Mormon Church did not tolerate black people. Give “Jazz” back to New Orleans. Let Utah be the “Seagulls.”
LOS ANGELES LAKERS: Oh, sure, Los Angeles has lakes—most of them man-made or a good drive from the City Center. But not like Minneapolis, the original namesake of this franchise. Los Angeles has traffic and freeways. A better nickname: “The Smog.”
HELENA CRIMSON BENGALS: Never understood this nickname. The Bengal is a medium to large domestic cat, not the huge ferocious tiger that hung on the wall at one end of our basketball court. And how did “Crimson” fit in anyway? The right nickname was right there all along, after the name of our annual parade and stadium: “The Vigilantes.” Nice going East Helena!
C.M. RUSSELL RUSTLERS: Like the Vigilantes, the Rustlers were law-breakers. Good! But given the relationship Montana has had to The Zodiac, Wayne Nance, Edmund Kemper, the Unabomber and John Wayne Gacy, this school should have gone all out: “The Serial Killers.”
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS: Nee Philadelphia Warriors. But what place do Warriors have in the idyllic Golden State ? And now that the franchise has moved across the Bay, there’s talk they’ll soon re-name the franchise after San Francisco. How about “The Quiche?” (No, no…not THAT nickname!)
MONTANA STATE BOBCATS: Given all the construction going on in Bozeman, I have no problem with this nickname.

Lakers and Jazz have always tied for the "Worst sports nickname that was kept after moving to a city even though the new location has ZERO relevancy".

The "Dodgers" would be on my short list too, as there's never been trolleys in LA as far as I know.
Memphis Grizzlies is another bad one.

Zirg said:
citay said:

Lakers and Jazz have always tied for the "Worst sports nickname that was kept after moving to a city even though the new location has ZERO relevancy".

The "Dodgers" would be on my short list too, as there's never been trolleys in LA as far as I know.
Actually LA had a great transit system before WW2, after that cars took over and the system was voted out.
From the Ospreys to the paddleheads, shows how far we have fallen.

fanofzoo said:
Zirg said:

Actually LA had a great transit system before WW2, after that cars took over and the system was voted out.

What was the reasoning behind changing the name? Is it considered racist? I always liked the name Ospreys.

cclarkblues said:
fanofzoo said:

What was the reasoning behind changing the name? Is it considered racist? I always liked the name Ospreys.

There are lots of reasons but I don't know any of them, they did get bought out though. Tone deaf new guy.

cclarkblues said:
fanofzoo said:

The hot trend in minor league baseball is/was coming up with crazy nicknames and a catchy logo to sell merch around the country. You might ask:How many Paddleheads Hats and merch can they really sell? Well, the answer is more than Osprey merch, because all the losers that are interested in this kinda thing already have Osprey merch. You gotta have a new outrageous,original nickname to turn heads across the country in this cut-throat world of Minor league merch. "Cutt-Throats"! Now that is a cool, local, relevent nickname that could move merch as well but nobody asked me. I can come up with a top-10 stupid/inane minor league baseball nicknames but that wasn't the spirit of the original post. Amarillo Sod Poodles would top my list.

Back