• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A look at the Recruiting Class of 2020

UMFan12

Our class of 2020 is the consensus top class in the big sky according to most recruiting sites. However, I wanted to see just where our signees rank.
What I saw surprised me to say the least.

Starting out- according to prep hoops national 2020 ranking, Hunter Clarke is the best incoming freshman to the Big Sky, and ranked 162nd nationally.
To put that into perspective, the 2nd best player coming in to the conference according to prep hoops is Tyler Patterson for Montana State. He is the most hyped up recruit they have had since Tyler Hall, and he is still almost 100 sports lower, at 245th. Players who rank immediately below Clarke are all headed to high major schools, such as Colorado, Oklahoma, and Illinois.
The 3rd bets incoming player is Weber States Dillon Jones at 286th, followed immediately by who else than our own Robby Beasley, at 288. Beasley is also ranked as a 3 star by 247 sports. Portland State has one recruit in the rankings with Paris Dawson at 356, once again from Prep Hoops. And finally, Brandon Whitney for us ranks at 415. Bannan has never played in the US so is obviously not ranked. But as far as recruits who have played ball in the U.S, including Clarke who starred as a freshman in California, all of our U.S signees are ranked, something no other school in our conference can say, as all others have mostly 0 or 1 players ranked according to prep hoops.

So according to the research I’ve done, I put together a class ranking for the Big Sky.
1-Montana- Clarke- 162, Beasley-288, Whitney- 415
2-Portland State- Dawson-356 Kiimani Hunt-499
3-Montana State- Patterson 245
4-Weber State- Jones 286
5-NAU(one prospect ranked as 3 stars by 247)

Nobody else has signed any ranked players. According to rankings, which are just rankings, we have by far the best class, and it doesn’t even include Bannan who has played his entire life in Australia, and actually put up better numbers than Clarke. Bright future for Griz BB!

Decided to use prep sports to compare this class to the hyped up class of 2019, also best in conference.

Kyle Owens was ranked 3.5 stars at #152 nationally
Derrick C-H was ranked 3 stars at #211 nationally
Josh Vazquez was unranked by Prep Sports.

Yes, great research. This is what makes this board interesting--not stupid nicknames

I also feel that Brandon Whitney is significantly under-rated. He's got quickness you simply can't teach, and has put up big numbers against stellar high school competition.

With all the competition at guard, he might be a leading candidate to redshirt. But he's gonna be a major star for us.

citay said:
Yes, great research. This is what makes this board interesting--not stupid nicknames

I also feel that Brandon Whitney is significantly under-rated. He's got quickness you simply can't teach, and has put up big numbers against stellar high school competition.

With all the competition at guard, he might be a leading candidate to redshirt. But he's gonna be a major star for us.

Thanks.
Now my fear is how do we keep all these people happy or do we run a 10 man rotation ?

Latest posts

Back