Timmy Falls steps away from Griz hoops

Griz & Big Sky Conference Basketball
Dillon

Well for what it is worth - I will miss this baller. Was looking so much to see Timmy in his Senior season. The first time I saw a great pass I was hooked. I idolized Pistol Pete growing up & just Loved watching a piece of what Timmy was able to do that reminded me so much of Pistol. Good Luck to Timmy and his family in the future. Head Up young man!
UncleRico

PlayerRep wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:20 pm
Btown wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:03 pm
Thug.
F-U.
I agree PR. FU. I'm selfishly sad he isn't going to be playing next year. He didn't back down from anyone. I think he added a toughness to Griz teams.
Colter_Nuanez56

PlayerRep wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 pm
Paytonlives wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:28 pm
From the story...

Although he will not play for Montana this upcoming season, Falls has not entered the NCAA Transfer Portal nor officially retired from college basketball. One source said there is a chance he could return for a fifth and final season in 2021. Falls still has a redshirt to use at Montana.

During the most recent off-season, Montana’s roster has seen a slew of additions at the guard positions. Last fall, UM signed Robby Beasley and Brandon Whitney, a pair of explosive guards from Southern California. In recent months, Montana also landed Sacred Heart transfer Cameron Parker and NAU transfer Cameron Satterwhite, each who have extensive starting experience at the Division I level.

Former Utah guard Naseem Gaskin sat out last season at Montana and is expected to compete for time in the backcourt with the newcomers along with returning sophomores Josh Vazquez and Eddie Egun.
I wonder if this situation is being mis-analyzed. While I haven't read the Skyline article, I would focus on the first para above, and not entering the portal, redshirt year, and possibility of returning, along with maroonandsilver's comment: "He screwed up once again" and grizjournal's post. Also, we already knew that he didn't have a scholarship.

I would think about whether he will be working on his academics for a year.

I have been told that online learning was hard on many kids, including some athletes.

I wonder if a better headline would have been: "Falls will redshirt to focus on academics".

Just a thought. I will do some more checking.
He is not redshirting, he is not part of the program and is not currently enrolled. He stepped away from the program for personal reasons is the only information provided so far.
TWITTER:@Skylinesportsmt
FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/skylinesportsmt1
BIG SKY BREAKDOWN ON ITUNES
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/big ... 1131856462
SUBSCRIBE TO SKYLINE SPORTS
https://skylinesportsmt.com/subscriptions/
PlayerRep

Colter_Nuanez56 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:12 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 pm

I wonder if this situation is being mis-analyzed. While I haven't read the Skyline article, I would focus on the first para above, and not entering the portal, redshirt year, and possibility of returning, along with maroonandsilver's comment: "He screwed up once again" and grizjournal's post. Also, we already knew that he didn't have a scholarship.

I would think about whether he will be working on his academics for a year.

I have been told that online learning was hard on many kids, including some athletes.

I wonder if a better headline would have been: "Falls will redshirt to focus on academics".

Just a thought. I will do some more checking.
He is not redshirting, he is not part of the program and is not currently enrolled. He stepped away from the program for personal reasons is the only information provided so far.
Okay, but I didn't say he was redshirting. I said "redshirt year", which he plans to use, so that he can play basketball the following year. In the second place, I suppose I could have said: "Fall will use redshirt year to focus on academics". At this point, he plans to concentrate on getting his academics in better order. One of the reasons that he's not currently enrolled, is because it's a summer term and he's not taking summer school at this time. He does plan to go back to school. He's in town working. I hear his golf game is good.
UncleRico

PlayerRep wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:15 pm
Colter_Nuanez56 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:12 pm

Okay, but I didn't say he was redshirting. I said "redshirt year", which he plans to use, so that he can play basketball the following year. In the second place, I suppose I could have said: "Fall will use redshirt year to focus on academics". At this point, he plans to concentrate on getting his academics in better order. One of the reasons that he's not currently enrolled, is because it's a summer term and he's not taking summer school at this time. He does plan to go back to school. He's in town working. I hear his golf game is good.
Sounds like a regular 21 year old kid figuring out what is next in his life. If you are going to take a year off from playing this would be the year to take off. Like I said before I'm selfishly going to miss watching him play/
fanofzoo

UncleRico wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:01 am
PlayerRep wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:15 pm

Sounds like a regular 21 year old kid figuring out what is next in his life. If you are going to take a year off from playing this would be the year to take off. Like I said before I'm selfishly going to miss watching him play/
You and me.
Hoops watcher

fanofzoo wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:32 pm
UncleRico wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:01 am

You and me.
Me three with thee.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. -H L Mencken
grizindabox
eGriz Club

Timmy officially entered the transfer portal.
One of the definitions of privilege is, thinking “the system works” because it worked FOR YOU.
PeauxRouge

grizindabox wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:24 pm
Timmy officially entered the transfer portal.
Buuuuuuumer. I won't be surprised to see him in a BSC uniform. Maybe even Weber? Or possibly closer to home?
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club

Nothing against Timmy, but it would appear that the talent level on the Griz passed him by....

That’s a testament to DeCuire’s recruiting these past couple years.
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.
Hoops watcher

No doubt a lot of hi powered talent arriving. They'll miss his attitude and defensive effort though, we'll see if someone steps into that role. I wish him the best.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. -H L Mencken
braves84

AZGrizFan wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:08 pm
Nothing against Timmy, but it would appear that the talent level on the Griz passed him by....

You obviously haven't talked to decuire or anybody else close to the montana program to arrive to that opinion.
Kidding, I agree with you 100%.
The talent he's brought in the last year or two has been upgraded greatly.
sacstateman

I think if Falls would have worked to change his outside shot to have less side spin on it, he would still be on scholly.....His outside shot was so inconsistent it was a situation where if he had a good night, he would shoot 3-5 but if he wasn't on it was an 0 for however many he shot.....of course there may be something else going on that nobody wants to mention....hard to tell....
Coachnelson

Out of respect to timmy and his family it's
Probaly time to move on and close the comments again thank you to all the wonderful
Griz fans that have supported timmy during his time at montana and best of luck to the griz moving forward.
PlayerRep

AZGrizFan wrote:

Don't think this is right. I think he would have been a starter this year at UM. Heard he went to portal because he wasn't getting good enough assurance that he could return to team. Mountain West has already reached out. Note that his mother lives near Sacramento.
UncleRico

Coachnelson wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:32 pm
Out of respect to timmy and his family it's
Probaly time to move on and close the comments again thank you to all the wonderful
Griz fans that have supported timmy during his time at montana and best of luck to the griz moving forward.
Agree.
DPGriz

He played 20 mpg on a team that had Rorie, Oguine, Pridgett, Manuel, and Dorsey as guards/wings (all of them upperclassmen btw), I don't buy that this year's team has so much more talent than the '17 and '18 teams that Timmy wouldn't be a contributor.
GrizBall

PlayerRep wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:34 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:

Don't think this is right. I think he would have been a starter this year at UM. Heard he went to portal because he wasn't getting good enough assurance that he could return to team. Mountain West has already reached out. Note that his mother lives near Sacramento.
If Timmy returned in good standing, what would be your predicted starting line-up?
Sport

Trust me if Timmy were to return (not gonna happen) he would not be in the starting lineup. Nothing against him or his talent but there are to many ahead of him.
braves84

GrizBall wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:17 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:34 pm

If Timmy returned in good standing, what would be your predicted starting line-up?
Last edited by braves84 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.