Timmy Falls steps away from Griz hoops

Griz & Big Sky Conference Basketball
HelenaHandBasket
Posts: 5290
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:34 pm
GrizBall wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:15 pm


Kinda of disappointed no one took the bait. I thought this was a sure discussion generator!

PG - Parker
SG - Gaskin
SF - Satterwhite
PF - Carter Hollinger
C - Steadman
Nope, Falls. Probably over Gaskin or Satterwhite.
You're wrong.
PlayerRep
Posts: 28025
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:07 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:34 pm


Nope, Falls. Probably over Gaskin or Satterwhite.
You're wrong.
Nope, you are. I explained my reasoning. Let's see yours.
UMFan12
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:49 pm

HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:07 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:34 pm


Nope, Falls. Probably over Gaskin or Satterwhite.
You're wrong.
1-Falls isn’t an off the ball player
2-Both Satterwhite and Gaskin are better shooters
3-Gaskin is a better athlete, bigger
4-Satterwhite can defend almost anybody you want him too, you think Falls could defend, wait until you see this kid
5-Falls can be turnover prone, and having him as a starter alongside Parker, another turnover prone playmaker wouldn’t be a good idea.
6-Falls fits better off the bench for the exact reason I stated above
That good enough for you?
And before you even mention Gaskins shooting, Timmy was as inconsistent as it gets, Gaskin before leaving Utah was mentioned as there most improved outside shooter.
HelenaHandBasket
Posts: 5290
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:21 pm
HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:07 pm


You're wrong.
Nope, you are. I explained my reasoning. Let's see yours.
You are right, the guy that lost his scholly was going to start in front of kids that were deemed important enough to have a scholly. My bad. We won't even get into that Timmy was below average offensively and overrated defensively.
PlayerRep
Posts: 28025
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:27 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:21 pm


Nope, you are. I explained my reasoning. Let's see yours.
You are right, the guy that lost his scholly was going to start in front of kids that were deemed important enough to have a scholly. My bad. We won't even get into that Timmy was below average offensively and overrated defensively.
He didn't lose his scholarship because he wasn't a good enough player. He lost it because his family had plenty of money to pay for him, and the coaches made a calculated risk that he liked UM so much that he would stay for his senior year. Falls was pretty good offensively, and was not overrated defensively at all.

Your post shows how little you know about the game of basketball and how little you know about Griz basketball, in my view.
GrizBall
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:07 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:21 pm
HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:07 pm


You're wrong.
Nope, you are. I explained my reasoning. Let's see yours.
Although you didn’t ask me, I will give you my reasoning. I think you raised excellent points.

My thoughts are Falls is 6’2, Parker is 6’2, Gaskins is listed at 6’4 but isn’t that tall and Satterwhite is 6’4.

If you assume Steadman is the C and Carter-Hollinger is the PF, you already have a slight issue in that DCH is 6’5, which is fairly short, so I don’t think you can go 6’2, 6’2, 6’2 in positions 1-3.

Satterwhite is 6’4 and a borderline elite athlete with long arms and can guard positions 1-3. I believe he can also at least put up a fight with many 4’s in the Big Sky.

So in my mind that would leave Falls, Gaskin and Parker battling for the 1 and 2. From what I have seen on film and what TDC has said publicly about Parker I would assume he would want Parker running the point.

That would leave a battle between Gaskin and Falls for the 2 spot. And from what I have been hearing about Gaskin’s play in practice and his elite athleticism, I gave him the nod over Falls. But I wouldn’t battle you over that distinction.
HelenaHandBasket
Posts: 5290
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:35 pm
HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:27 pm


You are right, the guy that lost his scholly was going to start in front of kids that were deemed important enough to have a scholly. My bad. We won't even get into that Timmy was below average offensively and overrated defensively.
He didn't lose his scholarship because he wasn't a good enough player. He lost it because his family had plenty of money to pay for him, and the coaches made a calculated risk that he liked UM so much that he would stay for his senior year. Falls was pretty good offensively, and was not overrated defensively at all.

Your post shows how little you know about the game of basketball and how little you know about Griz basketball, in my view.
You don't just take a kid off scholarship and hope he stays if you think he is a big part, integral part, of the program. You don't yank the scholly of a starter. Your post shows how big of a moron you are.
DPGriz
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:33 am

PlayerRep wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:35 pm
HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:27 pm


You are right, the guy that lost his scholly was going to start in front of kids that were deemed important enough to have a scholly. My bad. We won't even get into that Timmy was below average offensively and overrated defensively.
He didn't lose his scholarship because he wasn't a good enough player. He lost it because his family had plenty of money to pay for him, and the coaches made a calculated risk that he liked UM so much that he would stay for his senior year. Falls was pretty good offensively, and was not overrated defensively at all.

Your post shows how little you know about the game of basketball and how little you know about Griz basketball, in my view.
If that was a calculated risk then then coach needs a different calculator.
PlayerRep
Posts: 28025
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

GrizBall wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:36 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:21 pm


Nope, you are. I explained my reasoning. Let's see yours.
Although you didn’t ask me, I will give you my reasoning. I think you raised excellent points.

My thoughts are Falls is 6’2, Parker is 6’2, Gaskins is listed at 6’4 but isn’t that tall and Satterwhite is 6’4.

If you assume Steadman is the C and Carter-Hollinger is the PF, you already have a slight issue in that DCH is 6’5, which is fairly short, so I don’t think you can go 6’2, 6’2, 6’2 in positions 1-3.

Satterwhite is 6’4 and a borderline elite athlete with long arms and can guard positions 1-3. I believe he can also at least put up a fight with many 4’s in the Big Sky.

So in my mind that would leave Falls, Gaskin and Parker battling for the 1 and 2. From what I have seen on film and what TDC has said publicly about Parker I would assume he would want Parker running the point.

That would leave a battle between Gaskin and Falls for the 2 spot. And from what I have been hearing about Gaskin’s play in practice and his elite athleticism, I gave him the nod over Falls. But I wouldn’t battle you over that distinction.
Good analysis, but Falls would have started over Satterwhite or Gaskin, or someone. At this point, Gaskin is not better than Falls, nor is Satterwhite.
PlayerRep
Posts: 28025
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:40 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:35 pm


He didn't lose his scholarship because he wasn't a good enough player. He lost it because his family had plenty of money to pay for him, and the coaches made a calculated risk that he liked UM so much that he would stay for his senior year. Falls was pretty good offensively, and was not overrated defensively at all.

Your post shows how little you know about the game of basketball and how little you know about Griz basketball, in my view.
You don't just take a kid off scholarship and hope he stays if you think he is a big part, integral part, of the program. You don't yank the scholly of a starter. Your post shows how big of a moron you are.
I have inside information. You are the moron.
UncleRico
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:11 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:16 am
GrizBall wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:36 pm


Although you didn’t ask me, I will give you my reasoning. I think you raised excellent points.

My thoughts are Falls is 6’2, Parker is 6’2, Gaskins is listed at 6’4 but isn’t that tall and Satterwhite is 6’4.

If you assume Steadman is the C and Carter-Hollinger is the PF, you already have a slight issue in that DCH is 6’5, which is fairly short, so I don’t think you can go 6’2, 6’2, 6’2 in positions 1-3.

Satterwhite is 6’4 and a borderline elite athlete with long arms and can guard positions 1-3. I believe he can also at least put up a fight with many 4’s in the Big Sky.

So in my mind that would leave Falls, Gaskin and Parker battling for the 1 and 2. From what I have seen on film and what TDC has said publicly about Parker I would assume he would want Parker running the point.

That would leave a battle between Gaskin and Falls for the 2 spot. And from what I have been hearing about Gaskin’s play in practice and his elite athleticism, I gave him the nod over Falls. But I wouldn’t battle you over that distinction.
Good analysis, but Falls would have started over Satterwhite or Gaskin, or someone. At this point, Gaskin is not better than Falls, nor is Satterwhite.
People get too caught up in who is "starting." Travis shuffled starting lineups a bunch last year and I bet he will with this group too. I know one thing for sure. Timmy Falls made the Griz a better team the last three years. He had all those intangibles that don't show up in box score. Two years ago after Akoh went down if would have been difficult for Griz to win BSC without him. Timmy would have found a way on the court with this group because he is so damn competitive. I will miss watching him play. I wish him all the best.
HelenaHandBasket
Posts: 5290
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:17 am
HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:40 pm


You don't just take a kid off scholarship and hope he stays if you think he is a big part, integral part, of the program. You don't yank the scholly of a starter. Your post shows how big of a moron you are.
I have inside information. You are the moron.
I know where you are getting your info, and I still say that you are wrong.
PlayerRep
Posts: 28025
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:03 am
PlayerRep wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:17 am


I have inside information. You are the moron.
I know where you are getting your info, and I still say that you are wrong.
Okay, name the gentleman giving me most of the information.
HelenaHandBasket
Posts: 5290
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:15 pm
HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:03 am


I know where you are getting your info, and I still say that you are wrong.
Okay, name the gentleman giving me most of the information.
I won't do that, but to approach this a different way, is this gentleman close to any of the coaching staff or closer to the player? Pretty sure I know which side he is closer too.
MikeyGriz
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:35 am
Location: Billings, MT

PlayerRep wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:17 am
HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:40 pm


You don't just take a kid off scholarship and hope he stays if you think he is a big part, integral part, of the program. You don't yank the scholly of a starter. Your post shows how big of a moron you are.
I have inside information. You are the moron.
You have inside information that HHB is a moron? :shock:
I don't watch CNN for the same reason I don't drink out of the toilet bowl!
GrizBall
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:07 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:17 am
HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:40 pm


You don't just take a kid off scholarship and hope he stays if you think he is a big part, integral part, of the program. You don't yank the scholly of a starter. Your post shows how big of a moron you are.
Here is what happened exactly as it happened.

1. Immediately after the tournament was cancelled the coaching staff informed Falls that his scholarship would not be renewed and that he would not be a part of the program in 20-21. His options were either enter the transfer portal or pay his own way in 20-21 and if he met certain criteria, he could rejoin the team in 21-22 but was not guaranteed a scholarship for that year. UM made this decision with the full knowledge that Falls may have played his last game for UM. Once this decision was made, UM had 1 open scholarship for 20-21.

2. With the Falls decision, UM had one scholarship available and knew they needed to add experience. It was still early by transfer portal standards as most players don’t enter until after year-end meetings with their current schools, so UM basically had no idea who would be in the portal and where there would be interest on both sides. This debunks some popular opinions on this board that Falls voluntarily agreed to pay his own way, he left because of the talent that was brought in or Falls was made expendable by the new talent. It was actually the opposite, UM brought in transfers only when they made the decision to be without Falls for 20-21.

3. UM began recruiting a number of transfers including Satterwhite and Parker. Based on the recruiting process UM believed they had a good chance of landing Satterwhite, Parker and a few others. Satterwhite committed which left no available scholarships for 20-21.

4. Subsequent to Satterwhite committing, another scholarship opened up which the staff then made available to Parker and a few others. Parker was willing to commit and that was the reason he got the new available scholarship. It is my understanding that Parker wasn’t necessarily the highest left on their recruiting board, but he was willing to commit and was an upgrade at a position they desperately needed help and experience.
maroonandsilver
eGriz Club
Posts: 1867
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:25 am

GrizBall wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:19 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:17 am


Here is what happened exactly as it happened.

1. Immediately after the tournament was cancelled the coaching staff informed Falls that his scholarship would not be renewed and that he would not be a part of the program in 20-21. His options were either enter the transfer portal or pay his own way in 20-21 and if he met certain criteria, he could rejoin the team in 21-22 but was not guaranteed a scholarship for that year. UM made this decision with the full knowledge that Falls may have played his last game for UM. Once this decision was made, UM had 1 open scholarship for 20-21.

2. With the Falls decision, UM had one scholarship available and knew they needed to add experience. It was still early by transfer portal standards as most players don’t enter until after year-end meetings with their current schools, so UM basically had no idea who would be in the portal and where there would be interest on both sides. This debunks some popular opinions on this board that Falls voluntarily agreed to pay his own way, he left because of the talent that was brought in or Falls was made expendable by the new talent. It was actually the opposite, UM brought in transfers only when they made the decision to be without Falls for 20-21.

3. UM began recruiting a number of transfers including Satterwhite and Parker. Based on the recruiting process UM believed they had a good chance of landing Satterwhite, Parker and a few others. Satterwhite committed which left no available scholarships for 20-21.

4. Subsequent to Satterwhite committing, another scholarship opened up which the staff then made available to Parker and a few others. Parker was willing to commit and that was the reason he got the new available scholarship. It is my understanding that Parker wasn’t necessarily the highest left on their recruiting board, but he was willing to commit and was an upgrade at a position they desperately needed help and experience.
And that is exactly what I heard from my source who works camps, and is close to the staff.
User avatar
fanofzoo
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:08 am
Location: missoula

GrizBall wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:19 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:17 am


Here is what happened exactly as it happened.

1. Immediately after the tournament was cancelled the coaching staff informed Falls that his scholarship would not be renewed and that he would not be a part of the program in 20-21. His options were either enter the transfer portal or pay his own way in 20-21 and if he met certain criteria, he could rejoin the team in 21-22 but was not guaranteed a scholarship for that year. UM made this decision with the full knowledge that Falls may have played his last game for UM. Once this decision was made, UM had 1 open scholarship for 20-21.

2. With the Falls decision, UM had one scholarship available and knew they needed to add experience. It was still early by transfer portal standards as most players don’t enter until after year-end meetings with their current schools, so UM basically had no idea who would be in the portal and where there would be interest on both sides. This debunks some popular opinions on this board that Falls voluntarily agreed to pay his own way, he left because of the talent that was brought in or Falls was made expendable by the new talent. It was actually the opposite, UM brought in transfers only when they made the decision to be without Falls for 20-21.

3. UM began recruiting a number of transfers including Satterwhite and Parker. Based on the recruiting process UM believed they had a good chance of landing Satterwhite, Parker and a few others. Satterwhite committed which left no available scholarships for 20-21.

4. Subsequent to Satterwhite committing, another scholarship opened up which the staff then made available to Parker and a few others. Parker was willing to commit and that was the reason he got the new available scholarship. It is my understanding that Parker wasn’t necessarily the highest left on their recruiting board, but he was willing to commit and was an upgrade at a position they desperately needed help and experience.
Who is the other scolly that opened up and where does Josh V. fit into picture.
GrizBall
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:07 pm

fanofzoo wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:47 pm
GrizBall wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:19 pm


Who is the other scolly that opened up and where does Josh V. fit into picture.
I don’t want to address the the specific scholarship situation. But I will say each D-1 team is allowed 13 scholarships and both Parker and Satterwhite are on scholarship. I think you can very easily narrow it down to one or two.

I would also say that I love Timmy and at the bare minimum, even with the new players, he would have been a terrific energy 6th man and as someone else mentioned he would have definitely been in the mix of being a starter.

I think Josh V. will be a terrific first perimeter player off the bench. He can play both PG and SG, so depending on the situation, you could bring him in for any of my projected starters (Satterwhite, Parker or Gaskin).
GrizBall
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:07 pm

UMFan12 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:17 pm
HelenaHandBasket wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:07 pm


You're wrong.
1-Falls isn’t an off the ball player
2-Both Satterwhite and Gaskin are better shooters
3-Gaskin is a better athlete, bigger
4-Satterwhite can defend almost anybody you want him too, you think Falls could defend, wait until you see this kid
5-Falls can be turnover prone, and having him as a starter alongside Parker, another turnover prone playmaker wouldn’t be a good idea.
6-Falls fits better off the bench for the exact reason I stated above
That good enough for you?
And before you even mention Gaskins shooting, Timmy was as inconsistent as it gets, Gaskin before leaving Utah was mentioned as there most improved outside shooter.
I agree with everything but 1 & 2. I don’t believe Falls proved in his three years that he could be a starting PG on a BSC championship team. However, he is more than capable of being a SG/slashing wing/back-up PG on a BSC Champion.

In regards to 3 point shooting, we have no statistics on Gaskin and there is nothing in Satterwhite’s 3 year career vs. Falls’ 3 year career to indicate that Satterwhite is the better 3 point shooter.
Locked