• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MSU Nba-ers

Zirg

I read that Kelvin Blevjins was the first MSU NBA-er. What about Ray Kuka? He played for the Knicks in the 40's.

Zirg said:
I read that Kelvin Blevjins was the first MSU NBA-er. What about Ray Kuka? He played for the Knicks in the 40's.

Kuka, a Havre HS grad played at both Notre Dame (40-42) and Montana State (45-47) and served in the Air Force in between and maybe it was tha BAA technically at the time, but I was disappointed nobody (especially Lamberty) made no note of Kuka. or Jack Gillespie who played in the ABA

Zirg said:
Zirg said:

Kuka, a Havre HS grad played at both Notre Dame (40-42) and Montana State (45-47) and served in the Air Force in between and maybe it was tha BAA technically at the time, but I was disappointed nobody (especially Lamberty) made no note of Kuka. or Jack Gillespie who played in the ABA

UM has had 5 NBA-ers, according to my research. Name them! 3 are easy-2 toughies.

Zirg said:
Zirg said:

https://www.montanasports.com/high-school-sports/boys-basketball/mttop50-no-8-jack-gillespie-one-of-the-all-time-greats-at-montana-state

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Zirg said:

https://www.montanasports.com/high-school-sports/boys-basketball/mttop50-no-8-jack-gillespie-one-of-the-all-time-greats-at-montana-state

thx for the link. Gillespie officially only played 2 ABA games for the New York Nets in 69-70., a year in which the NBA only had 14 teams.

Zirg said:
UM has had 5 NBA-ers, according to my research. Name them! 3 are easy-2 toughies.

The four obvious ones (who actually took the court during an NBA game) have to be Michael Ray Richardson, John Stroeder, Larry Krystkowiak, and Will Cherry. Was there another who at least suited up during a real NBA game?

Then there are probably more than a few like Brian Qvale and Derrick Pope who signed contracts (I assume) with NBA teams (Charlotte Hornets and Trailblazers?, I think, respectively) and got paid to at least practice with their teams before being cut.

DoubleNicks said:
Zirg said:

The four obvious ones (who actually took the court during an NBA game) have to be Michael Ray Richardson, John Stroeder, Larry Krystkowiak, and Will Cherry. Was there another who at least suited up during a real NBA game?

Then there are probably more than a few like Brian Qvale and Derrick Pope who signed contracts (I assume) with NBA teams (Charlotte Hornets and Trailblazers?, I think, respectively) and got paid to at least practice with their teams before being cut.

Lee Johnson and a 6th.....Jake Wiley

Just a matter of time before some of the amazing recruits (some think better than even the former NBAers listed here) Decuire is bringing in start to show up on NBA rosters.

Come on...... "bigs" like Owens and Steadman compared to Stroeder, Tinkle, Engellant, Pope, Qvale, Straight, Hasquet and Akoh.

And guards like Whitney and Beasley and Vazquez compared to guys like Glass, Fasting, Criswell, Oguine, Anthony Johnson, Cherry, Gregory, and Rorie.

Trying to even come up with some former players that could be listed in the same conversation as Travis' guys was a lot of work!

Back