• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz tonight

Sport

The new and improved version of the lady Griz basketball program take their show on the road tonight (1/1/21) to Greeley, Co to begin conference play. The ladies are a little rusty coming off a two week layoff due to a canceled game. If their performance against Gonzaga and Seattle U are any barometer of things to come this should be an exciting year for the ladies.

Sport said:
The new and improved version of the lady Griz basketball program take their show on the road tonight (1/1/21) to Greeley, Co to begin conference play. The ladies are a little rusty coming off a two week layoff due to a canceled game. If their performance against Gonzaga and Seattle U are any barometer of things to come this should be an exciting year for the ladies.

I share your enthusiasm for the GrizWBB team under coach Petrino and the entire returning staff from last season. They may be a bit rusty, but I've heard that the team will be at full strength (including Madi Schoening, Kylie Frohlich and Bria Dixson). That means that -- for the first time in five seasons the team will start conference play a legit two-deep (plus) at every position.

Two major questions I was hoping to see addressed -- an improved defense and more confidence on offense -- have already been answered. I still think this team needs to make significant defensive progress to compete in the Big Sky, but Petrino's passing game offense is already paying dividends. I love observing the confidence the players have in taking open shots. A huge bonus is that this team may well be the best perimeter Griz WBB team we've seen in many seasons.

Regardless of potential, the Big Sky shows remarkable balance among the top seven teams, and so any move upward from their projected 7th place pre-season poll predictions will be a plus. There will be some shifting as pre-season favorite Idaho just got whipped by NAU (picked 3-4) and Idaho State has looked very tough. I think ISU and NAU look like the teams to beat with Idaho and Northern Colorado next. I think Montana has already shown it's pretty evenly matched with MSU, but it might take until the end of January to see how far up Montana can move with a young team that will only get better as they play more games.

A split in Greeley would be good for the Griz. I'm hoping for a win tonight. Go GrizWBB.

grizzlyjournal said:
Sport said:

I share your enthusiasm for the GrizWBB team under coach Petrino and the entire returning staff from last season. They may be a bit rusty, but I've heard that the team will be at full strength (including Madi Schoening, Kylie Frohlich and Bria Dixson). That means that -- for the first time in five seasons the team will start conference play a legit two-deep (plus) at every position.

Two major questions I was hoping to see addressed -- an improved defense and more confidence on offense -- have already been answered. I still think this team needs to make significant defensive progress to compete in the Big Sky, but Petrino's passing game offense is already paying dividends. I love observing the confidence the players have in taking open shots. A huge bonus is that this team may well be the best perimeter Griz WBB team we've seen in many seasons.

Regardless of potential, the Big Sky shows remarkable balance among the top seven teams, and so any move upward from their projected 7th place pre-season poll predictions will be a plus. There will be some shifting as pre-season favorite Idaho just got whipped by NAU (picked 3-4) and Idaho State has looked very tough. I think ISU and NAU look like the teams to beat with Idaho and Northern Colorado next. I think Montana has already shown it's pretty evenly matched with MSU, but it might take until the end of January to see how far up Montana can move with a young team that will only get better as they play more games.

A split in Greeley would be good for the Griz. I'm hoping for a win tonight. Go GrizWBB.

Nice summary JournaL...THANKS!

Have watched some of the game, and can't believe how many short-range shots the Lady Griz have missed. Not so much that the defense is stifling. Seems more like a lack of concentration. Lady Griz only have hit 9 of 34 shots and UNC leads 37-25 at the half.

Lady Griz down by 12 at the half. Bears looking tough from 3 Pt. And strong on the boards. NCU definitely the aggressor and Griz back on their heals. Look for a stronger 2nd half from our ladies. This will be a good test for coach Patrino to see what adjustments he can make. NCU is 50% from 3 Pt line so this will be a challenge as we’re playing off against their outside shooters. We’ve been missing bunnies which seems to be a characteristic of women’s bb in the BSC.

UNC still hot from 3. Lead was 19 now down to 11 going into 4th qtr. Griz 8% from 3. Not going to win many with that shooting %.

Lady Griz continue to miss their short shots, but have managed to tie the game at 56-56 with a minute to go.... have hit a couple 3s in a row

Kyndall Keller hits a close FG when it counts, Lady Griz play good defense in closing seconds, then Keller hits 2 FTs as UM wins 60-56...

Got to give them credit for grit. I thought they were going to lose in a blowout the way they played most of the game.

One if not one of the most unbelievable finishes. Griz win by 4. That’s correct, LADY GRIZ WIN BY 4!

That's not exactly how I drew it up... but I'll take it! Switching to a zone D turned the tide, but Kyndal Keller was amazing down the stretch (plus Madi's first trey). What a comeback.

Ladies shoot 28% from the floor, but 19 for 19 from the line. They stepped up when they needed too, didn’t panic down by 19 in 3rd quarter but picked up defense. NCU, if I remember correctly scored 19 points in the second half. Unbelievable comeback.

Griz hold Northern Colorado to 4 fourth-quarter points (1-17). Griz offset 29% from the field by shooting 100% from the free throw line (18-18). Otherwise, Montana was even-with or won all statistical categories.

Coach Petrino quotes from the post-game show.
"We played really well overall in the first half, but we let missed shots affect our energy. We had good looks and missed them and then let those missed shots get to us mentally."
"The momentum switch was no secret. We just switched to our zone in the third quarter. But I credit Karsten Murphey and Jordan Schweyen for key plays at the end of the third that got us back on track."
"We as coaches have a lot of work to do on a lot of things to improve on offense."
Petrino said that no single player was the catalyst in the fourth. Instead, he said that made plays and shots by several players translated to confidence and increased energy in the zone on defense.

That’s an absolutely incredible win. A 27-4 run to close the game. That’s almost unheard of. This team is playing so much more inspired under Petrino then they ever did under Shannon. A year ago, this team would’ve rolled over and quit, but now they can be down any margin and proven they can come back. I think this win will officially put the rest of the Big Sky on high alert, as if they weren’t already.

Back