• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

One Way Mirror?

citygriz

It seems to me the Hunter Clarke departure raises yet again this issue: We can be genuine fans, participate on this board, watch games on maddening Pluto and invest emotionally in their outcomes, and yet the Program seldom returns the favor in any sort of public relations way. Everything is behind a one-way mirror. Thus:
--We can listen to a pre-season DeCuire interview filled with vague generalizations and obtuse references about the team and have no clue that Josh Bannan must be looking good because lo! he's in the starting lineup against USC; or that Brandon Whitney and Robbie Beasely are two freshman who will have an impact.
--Derrick Carter-Hollinger can suddenly disappear from the lineup altogether and leave us to wonder, is he hurt? In the doghouse? Off the team? Only to have an announcer before the UDub game tell us, "Oh, he was in concussion protocol."
--Players come and players go and not a peep from anyone. Hunter Clarke can can leave the program, even though his brother is a Graduate Manager, and all we're left with is, "Hunter, we hardly knew ye."
You might say the same for the entire Men's program. From a public relations standpoint, it might as well be a deaf mute. It's got about as much personality as the CIA--at least that's the way it acts.

I think it’s by design. Travis does a lot of interviews, but doesn’t give a lot away. I think the local media needs to do a better job of mining the information that people need and want.

Truth is, he’s got most of the media speaking in vague generalities as well. His record speaks for itself and he’s not the one responsible for giving away intel. It’s the Riley’s and the Tootells of the world that need to to a better job as far as doing what they’re paid to do.

As much as I like and support Travis, and I do support him on this forum and with my checkbook I feel he has told the press that certain areas are out of bounds. On this point I totally disagree with his approach in that respect. I have had access to Travis probably almost as much as anyone else outside the program but there seems to be an unwritten protocol that he and his staff follow unconditionally. Of course the NCAA guidelines have a lot to do with that.
Onto another subject but why are unable to recruit the basketball caliber of players that we see schools like UNC seem to get year after year? Come on who would want to live in Greeley not to mention go to that Jr. college they call UNC? With our tradition, coaching tree and coaching staff we should be on a trajectory to be in the top 10 in Mid-Major basketball. I know it’s great to say we have 100% graduation rate but give me one or two dropouts along the way.
Having expounded my frustration I still feel our best is yet to come.

Sport said:
Onto another subject but why are unable to recruit the basketball caliber of players that we see schools like UNC seem to get year after year? Come on who would want to live in Greeley not to mention go to that Jr. college they call UNC?

I disagree that UNC and other BSC schools recruit a better caliber player year after year.

Sport said:
As much as I like and support Travis, and I do support him on this forum and with my checkbook I feel he has told the press that certain areas are out of bounds. On this point I totally disagree with his approach in that respect. I have had access to Travis probably almost as much as anyone else outside the program but there seems to be an unwritten protocol that he and his staff follow unconditionally. Of course the NCAA guidelines have a lot to do with that.
Onto another subject but why are unable to recruit the basketball caliber of players that we see schools like UNC seem to get year after year? Come on who would want to live in Greeley not to mention go to that Jr. college they call UNC? With our tradition, coaching tree and coaching staff we should be on a trajectory to be in the top 10 in Mid-Major basketball. I know it’s great to say we have 100% graduation rate but give me one or two dropouts along the way.
You honestly mean to tell me that you think UNC had any freshmen on their team that was better then Beasley, Bannan, or Whitney tonight? You’re hallucinating.

Don’t seem to recall comparing freshmen to freshmen? Maybe your reading comprehension needs a checkup?

Sport said:
Don’t seem to recall comparing freshmen to freshmen? Maybe your reading comprehension needs a checkup?
Maybe your general comprehension needs a checkup? I’m not gonna lie, Body Hume is a good player and they are lucky to have him. He was basically in UNC’s back yard and he was under recruited in high school, but outside of him I didn’t see another player on their team that was better then anyone we got. They’re more experienced then us and don’t have as many newcomers and transfers as we do.

Sport said:

Sometimes that ole pesky GPA gets in the way here, there not so much.

Latest posts

Back