• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Not to second guess but....

Sport

Not to second guess but....with the score tied at 62 and 15.1 seconds on the clock and the Bears with the ball out of bounds and having shot something like 5 for 15 I would immediately foul the inbound pass. Even if they were to make both charity shots you would still have around 13 seconds to either go for the win with a 3 or a tie with a 2. Also I would have put Stedman in to clog the middle. It’s unfair at this point to expect a freshman to stay with Hume. It’s not going to help Bannon’s psyche. He stayed after alone on the bench really looking dejected.
As Riley Corcoran said at one point late in the second half we had all freshmen and sophomores in the game. Both Josh and Kyle disappeared in the second half. But give UNC credit, they made the adjustments and we didn’t. As much as I like the whole coaching staff this ones on them.

I see what you’re saying and they were awful from the free throw line, but I just don’t know how many coaches would be willing to do that in a tie game with 15 seconds to go. In hindsight with losing all 3 of these games in such similar fashion with how bad they were from the line, I think you’re right, we probably should’ve.

I don't think any coach would chose to put a team on the line intentionally in a tie game with 15 seconds left.

This is where Josh Bannan was immediately after the game. He knows what it takes to get better, as do all his young teammates, I reckon.

[media]https://twitter.com/jordyhansen/status/1345555967430205440[/media]

Sport said:
Not to second guess but....with the score tied at 62 and 15.1 seconds on the clock and the Bears with the ball out of bounds and having shot something like 5 for 15 I would immediately foul the inbound pass. Even if they were to make both charity shots you would still have around 13 seconds to either go for the win with a 3 or a tie with a 2. Also I would have put Stedman in to clog the middle. It’s unfair at this point to expect a freshman to stay with Hume. It’s not going to help Bannon’s psyche. He stayed after alone on the bench really looking dejected.
As Riley Corcoran said at one point late in the second half we had all freshmen and sophomores in the game. Both Josh and Kyle disappeared in the second half. But give UNC credit, they made the adjustments and we didn’t. As much as I like the whole coaching staff this ones on them.

I see what you are saying, and it makes some sense. Where I disagree with you is with Stedman clogging the lane. I'm starting to think he's more of a defensive liability, but what do I know.

Thirty eight of Montana's 200 player minutes on court tonight were played by upperclassmen (Steadman, Parker, Anderson). The other 162 were played by sophomores and freshmen. No matter how good these young players are... and will be, you can't exchange youthful talent for experience. Game by game, this team will improve. But you have to give young players time to learn from their oncourt miscues. I have watched Griz hoops for many seasons, and not since Jud Heathcoate's 1972 team (the 1972-75 whose four-year record was: 14-12, 13-13, 19-8, and 21-8) Montana team have I watched such a young team. Back then most schools had freshmen squads.

UM just didn't quite have enough. NC is pretty good and made plays late when they needed it. Bannan's desperation shot almost went in.

The Griz have lots of talent, mostly young or very young.They hustle and play hard. They play hustling and help defense.

I like this team.

Come on Eddy, played very well with his time, gave us a lift when we needed it, hope it leads to more minutes.

fanofzoo said:
Come on Eddy, played very well with his time, gave us a lift when we needed it, hope it leads to more minutes.

Agree, he's a good fit with 3 guard lineups for his rebounding and D. Like to see him get 15 to 20 minutes.Really sparked the 1st half run to get back in it.

Hoops watcher said:
fanofzoo said:

Agree, he's a good fit with 3 guard lineups for his rebounding and D. Like to see him get 15 to 20 minutes.Really sparked the 1st half run to get back in it.

+/- after 8 D-1 Games (primary rotation players):

Parker +21
Egun -2
Beasley -3
Owens -4
DCH -7
Whitney -9
Vasquez -10
Stead -13
Bannan -30

Sport said:
As much as I like the whole coaching staff this ones on them.

62 points. Ooooooh! Looked up and down the bench, but last years spark plug, Timmy Falls, wasn't there. Someone ran him off.

maroonandsilver said:
tourist said:
62 points. Ooooooh! Looked up and down the bench, but last years spark plug, Timmy Falls, wasn't there. Someone ran him off.

Hw ran himself off by not doing his classwork.

Correct. And by apparently not even going online to do classes in the early session this summer. Al ot of college and other kids have struggled with online learning,.

maroonandsilver said:
tourist said:

Hw ran himself off by not doing his classwork.

The reason comes out, inquiring minds always wanted to know.

Sport said:

I totally agree about the mis-use of the one-and one opportunity in general. I think it is THE most under-utilized strategy in D1 basketball. You can foul their worst free-throw shooter (if you're smart) for 3 straight possessions twice a game. Meanwhile you shoot 3 3-pointers (or high-quality 2's) on offense and I guarantee you will average more points in those 3 possession stretch, but nobody does that. The coaches have all the stats, but nobody tries to foul the bad Free-throw shooters in such situations. It drives me crazy.

Back