• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bobcats beat Bears

grizzlyjournal

Bobcats spank UNC 79-67 in Greeley. All-everything guard Xavier Bishop (28 pts, 5 assists) picks up where Harald Frey left off.

NCU was up by 9 late in the second but MSU went on an 18-0 run late. NCU couldn't hit FT either.

I’m worried about our ability to score. Outside of the 2nd game against Southern Utah and the two non D-1 opponents, we have not once scored more then 70 points. Most of the time that’s not gonna win you games. Granted we have won games this year scoring less then 70 thanks to our amazing defense, but most nights that’s not gonna get it done. Wait until we have to play the cats and Eastern, or even Southern Utah again in the tournament. Obviously the game plan against UNC was to pound it inside but I don’t understand why we didn’t take more 3’s against them. We need to start producing more offense and taking more outside shots or we’re gonna have a lot of nail biting games this year.

Griz til I die said:
I’m worried about our ability to score. Outside of the 2nd game against Southern Utah and the two non D-1 opponents, we have not once scored more then 70 points. Most of the time that’s not gonna win you games. Granted we have won games this year scoring less then 70 thanks to our amazing defense, but most nights that’s not gonna get it done. Wait until we have to play the cats and Eastern, or even Southern Utah again in the tournament. Obviously the game plan against UNC was to pound it inside but I don’t understand why we didn’t take more 3’s against them. We need to start producing more offense and taking more outside shots or we’re gonna have a lot of nail biting games this year.

We have missed a lot of close-range shots. I believe those with start to fall. We have played well against good D1 teams (SUU,Arizona,Washington,Georgia) albiet not 40 minutes of quality play usually. Their is reason to optimistic though. Don't give up on this team. Beasley is soon to be a super-star, I promise you. He looks amazing!

Zirg said:
Griz til I die said:

We have missed a lot of close-range shots. I believe those with start to fall. We have played well against good D1 teams (SUU,Arizona,Washington,Georgia) albiet not 40 minutes of quality play usually. Their is reason to optimistic though. Don't give up on this team. Beasley is soon to be a super-star, I promise you. He looks amazing!

It's going to take most of the year with this many new people and no continuity from last year. They'll get it figured out, probably not fast enough for a lot of folks. All that counts this year is getting to the dance, standings won't mean much when teams miss half their conference games.

Bobcats sweep Bears in Greeley, this time in OT, 76-74. Brodie Hume shoots a 2-game 8/29 overall and 4/20 from beyond the arc vs. the Cats.

That's not to take anything away from the Cats. They played well.

grizzlyjournal said:
Bobcats sweep Bears in Greeley, this time in OT, 76-74. Brodie Hume shoots a 2-game 8/29 overall and 4/20 from beyond the arc vs. the Cats.

That's a crazy stat-line for Hume. I didn't watch much of this series so did they just make Hume their priority on D? Any time he shoots against the Griz I expect it to go in.

PeauxRouge said:
grizzlyjournal said:

That's a crazy stat-line for Hume. I didn't watch much of this series so did they just make Hume their priority on D? Any time he shoots against the Griz I expect it to go in.
I watched both games and was almost in disbelief at how open Hume often was. Many of his shots were badly off to one side or another. It looked like the Cat defenders were rushing at Hume from one side or another, and not directly manning up. Nonetheless, even when Hume faked and drove he missed many of his driving 2-pt shots. There's no doubt, however, that the Bobcat man defense is much improved from last year. No players were getting wide open looks. My overall conclusion from both games is that the Cats played well, and the coaching staff made adjustments in both games that led to Bobcat offensive surges. Their point guard, transfer Xavier Bishop, is very quick and hard to defend.

grizzlyjournal said:
PeauxRouge said:
I watched both games and was almost in disbelief at how open Hume often was. Many of his shots were badly off to one side or another. It looked like the Cat defenders were rushing at Hume from one side or another, and not directly manning up. Nonetheless, even when Hume faked and drove he missed many of his driving 2-pt shots. There's no doubt, however, that the Bobcat man defense is much improved from last year. No players were getting wide open looks. My overall conclusion from both games is that the Cats played well, and the coaching staff made adjustments in both games that led to Bobcat offensive surges. Their point guard, transfer Xavier Bishop, is very quick and hard to defend.

I'm really looking forward to how Coach DeCuire handles Bishop. How crazy is it that both Griz and Cats are 100% different teams from a year ago?

grizzlyjournal said:
PeauxRouge said:

I was not impressed with Hume overall. He has the numbers and veteran savvy and gets a lot of foul-calls on borderline plays, but he is not exceptional. He's good, but not great.

PeauxRouge said:
grizzlyjournal said:

I'm really looking forward to how Coach DeCuire handles Bishop. How crazy is it that both Griz and Cats are 100% different teams from a year ago?
The cats don't really seem like they're all that much different this year. It seems like their game plan last Year was Harald Frey takeover the game and occasionally pound it in to Belo. This year, just substitute in Bishop for Frey. Bishop is their best player, and Belo gets his fair share of points with a good majority of those points coming from the free throw line, I think he has one of the best free throw percentages in the country for any big man. Adamu seems like he has taken a big step forward this year too, he was good last year but it seems like he's much improved. I do think part of Adamu's large progression this year has to do with him picking up the slack for Devin Kirby who's been injured and is getting minimal minutes. That might be the only glaring difference I see in their game from last year to this year.

Back