• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Alex Germer......A Bobcat?

Sport

Ok I’ll have to admit I’ve not seen Alex play in person but I’ve only read the press clippings. But when a AA player scores 37 one weekend followed up by a 51 point outing one tends to notice. His 10 for 13 3 pointers for a 6’8” forward should cause one to take notice. The only reason I could imagine he would choose the cats over the Griz is their engineering program. He should realize by the time he graduates the engineering field will be so polluted with engineering graduates that he will have to flip burgers at McDonalds. Ok maybe a slight exaggeration there but who wants to be a train engineer in this day and age.
This begs the question. Two bluechip prospects, three if you count Tres Tinkle have chosen to take their talents elsewher? Ok I understand Tres but Riley Wooster who is getting attention as the best freshman in the country and now Alex who has signed a LOI with the cats. It’s difficult enough to find any D-1 talent in Montana much less in your own backyard. Not to criticize the Grizzly coaching staff but I will. Why Travis, why Chris Cobb and why Jay Flores have we not signed Riley and why are we letting Sprinkle sign what looks to be the best player in the state? Unfortunately all we can do is speculate at this point because Travis does not choose to comment about individual players. As fans it’s frustrating to not see the best talent in Montana not end up in a Grizzly uniform. I rest my case.

Sport said:
Ok I’ll have to admit I’ve not seen Alex play in person but I’ve only read the press clippings. But when a AA player scores 37 one weekend followed up by a 51 point outing one tends to notice. His 10 for 13 3 pointers for a 6’8” forward should cause one to take notice. The only reason I could imagine he would choose the cats over the Griz is their engineering program. He should realize by the time he graduates the engineering field will be so polluted with engineering graduates that he will have to flip burgers at McDonalds. Ok maybe a slight exaggeration there but who wants to be a train engineer in this day and age.
This begs the question. Two bluechip prospects, three if you count Tres Tinkle have chosen to take their talents elsewher? Ok I understand Tres but Riley Wooster who is getting attention as the best freshman in the country and now Alex who has signed a LOI with the cats. It’s difficult enough to find any D-1 talent in Montana much less in your own backyard. Not to criticize the Grizzly coaching staff but I will. Why Travis, why Chris Cobb and why Jay Flores have we not signed Riley and why are we letting Sprinkle sign what looks to be the best player in the state? Unfortunately all we can do is speculate at this point because Travis does not choose to comment about individual players. As fans it’s frustrating to not see the best talent in Montana not end up in a Grizzly uniform. I rest my case.

Maybe he decided to go to the Utah State because you don't know his name. :lol: It's Rolly Worster, not Riley Wooster.

Unfortunately for “what’s his name” if he went to U of M I’d know his name and so would a lot of other people. But I stand corrected. It’s hard to remember names while lying on the beach in Cabo. Just had to do it.

maroonandsilver said:
Sport said:

Maybe he decided to go to the Utah State because you don't know his name. :lol: It's Rolly Worster, not Riley Wooster.

Same thing with Steadman. See Stedman thread.

PlayerRep said:
Don't think the Griz were interested enough to offer a schollie to Germer last year when he committed.
Correct. From my source: Griz staff offered only a walk-on. Didn't think he could move his feet, play defense at BSC level.

maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:
Don't think the Griz were interested enough to offer a schollie to Germer last year when he committed.
Correct. From my source: Griz staff offered only a walk-on. Didn't think he could move his feet, play defense at BSC level.

6'7" young kids mature and get stronger, quicker. And don't have to move feet quite as well when you have size and can shoot. How many scholarships do teams have? Can't understand why it's so difficult to give a local kid a chance. How often is our 12th 13th out of state freshman or transfer panning out? It's appearing Germer isn't just a "give a chance" prospect either. Kind of crazy to me.

Mousegriz said:
maroonandsilver said:

6'7" young kids mature and get stronger, quicker. And don't have to move feet quite as well when you have size and can shoot. How many scholarships do teams have? Can't understand why it's so difficult to give a local kid a chance. How often is our 12th 13th out of state freshman or transfer panning out? It's appearing Germer isn't just a "give a chance" prospect either. Kind of crazy to me.
Mousegriz said:
maroonandsilver said:

Another big whiff in backyard for Decquire... Also, a signee to MSU (2021)from Alaska who has strong Missoula ties got zero love from Griz... Time will tell but I think this one will be a huge whiff

I don’t see it as a whiff. When TD can get 4 star guards from Cali who are getting recruited to Pac12 schools, then you often choose that kid over Montana’s finest. Will Germer be a good player for the Cats? I’m guessing yep he’ll be pretty good. Will TD land some absolute stud guard from Cali who will be better, yep he will.

HookedonGriz said:
I don’t see it as a whiff. When TD can get 4 star guards from Cali who are getting recruited to Pac12 schools, then you often choose that kid over Montana’s finest. Will Germer be a good player for the Cats? I’m guessing yep he’ll be pretty good. Will TD land some absolute stud guard from Cali who will be better, yep he will.

Will UM get clobbered in rebounding and scored on in the point? I think I'd take Germer over many of the guards on the team now. And yes, I've seen him play.

Mousegriz said:
maroonandsilver said:

Well right now there’s only 12 guys on the freaking team, so I would think the 13th, 14th or 15th scholarship could be used on an in-state guy. :lol:

HookedonGriz said:

According to Verbal Commits, we currently have a roster with all 2 star players. Also, if any of our current kids were recruited by Pac 12 schools, that is where they would be. Not saying that Whitney, Owens, Carter-Hollinger, Bannan, and Beasley (to name a few) weren't probably on some Pac 12 schools radars, but that is a lot different than getting signed by a Pac 12 school to go play for them.

CopperGold14 said:
HookedonGriz said:

According to Verbal Commits, we currently have a roster with all 2 star players. Also, if any of our current kids were recruited by Pac 12 schools, that is where they would be. Not saying that Whitney, Owens, Carter-Hollinger, Bannan, and Beasley (to name a few) weren't probably on some Pac 12 schools radars, but that is a lot different than getting signed by a Pac 12 school to go play for them.
Verbal commits doesn’t update their rankings. Marjon Beauchamp was rated at 2 stars on VC when we were recruiting him, but was a top 50 recruit in the nation. Both Beasley and Carter Hollinger were 3 star recruits.

[/quote]
Verbal commits doesn’t update their rankings. Marjon Beauchamp was rated at 2 stars on VC when we were recruiting him, but was a top 50 recruit in the nation. Both Beasley and Carter Hollinger were 3 star recruits.
[/quote]

My point remains — none of the current Griz are Pac 12 players. The only one who could enter the transfer portal and possibly get a nibble from a Pac 12 type of school is Kyle Owens. Not sure if he’s consistently productive enough but I could see him being a rotation type of player at Cal, Stanford or WSU.

Good heavens. Congrats to Alex on getting a D1scholarship offer. Good for him. This conversation however is really frustrating.

First, if it was Travis's assessment that Alex wasn't a D1 player at his likely position then that is on Travis. For what it is worth that wasn't exactly a tightly held opinion by many as late as last spring. At the end of last basketball season, when Alex gave his verbal to MSU, there was some question as to what his natural position was in college. I am not digging on Alex at all, because he transformed himself over the summer. He looks vastly better athletically than he did a year ago.

Secondly, If you are Travis whose defensive schemes requires significant lateral movement why would you recruit a player who doesn't fit your style just because he lives 10 blocks from campus? This is maybe the most frustrating element of it. If that was your kid, and the coach just offered a scholarship so you could sit the bench in a system that may not fit his skill type, what would your response be? Moreover, when you looked at his roster distribution prior to this year, where did Germer fit? Would have you dropped a kid from a scholly for a kid that might not have a true college position or you had true questions about his ability to defend away from the basket?

-- If you think about the roster construction in late march, what were TDC's needs? He had at the time Owens, DCH, Clarke, and Bannan who fit that swing 3-4 position defensively. Was Germer last March a better SF/SG than anyone on that roster or he had brought for this year? I just don't know if that is the case. Really neat how we look at the roster, Germer's 51 point explosion and assume it made sense to offer a scholarship back in last January for a kid that looked like at the time an ill fit for the program with other pressing needs.

Thirdly, even if Travis wanted to offer him a fully scholly (and he might have eventually, cause we really don't know if he did eventually up his offer to Alex) there wasn't a scholarship to offer him in the first place. There was no summer AAU recruiting period, no personal evaluation, no game tape. Travis made it clear that he wasn't going to sign kids without seeing them and that because of the NCAA roster constraints for 2021-22 season he wasn't going to sign people in the fall. Now he has at least two maybe three scholarships available for next year at this moment, but that really wasn't the case last spring or even into the fall. The men have 13 scholarships to offer. Sometimes there are kids that miss because of roster constraints. Travis saw Alex play a lot until last March and made the conclusion that at the time he gave his verbal to MSU that he couldn't see him as a scholarship player. When that happened there were few people on here or elsewhere that were really lamenting that choice to allow Alex leave Missoula to head to Bozeman.

Fourth, Big Sky might be one of the least talented teams in the state at the AA level. They are vastly better than they were a year ago, but this is hardly the team that ruled Missoula basketball for much of the 80's and for spurts in the 90's. They have been absolutely brutalized by open transfer rules in both girls and boys sports, and there doesn't appear to be much help on the horizon. Yes he put up 51, and few have the ability to do that but there are a number of vastly more talented opposition that Sentinel will face this year than Big Sky.

Good on Alex for taking a scholarship offer to play at MSU. I'm happy for him. Really I am. I wish him the best of luck and a hopefully he has a great career at MSU and just not in the 8 games or so he has against the UM.

Grizfan-24 said:
Good heavens. Congrats to Alex on getting a D1scholarship offer. Good for him. This conversation however is really frustrating.

First, if it was Travis's assessment that Alex wasn't a D1 player at his likely position then that is on Travis. For what it is worth that wasn't exactly a tightly held opinion by many as late as last spring. At the end of last basketball season, when Alex gave his verbal to MSU, there was some question as to what his natural position was in college. I am not digging on Alex at all, because he transformed himself over the summer. He looks vastly better athletically than he did a year ago.

Secondly, If you are Travis whose defensive schemes requires significant lateral movement why would you recruit a player who doesn't fit your style just because he lives 10 blocks from campus? This is maybe the most frustrating element of it. If that was your kid, and the coach just offered a scholarship so you could sit the bench in a system that may not fit his skill type, what would your response be? Moreover, when you looked at his roster distribution prior to this year, where did Germer fit? Would have you dropped a kid from a scholly for a kid that might not have a true college position or you had true questions about his ability to defend away from the basket?

-- If you think about the roster construction in late march, what were TDC's needs? He had at the time Owens, DCH, Clarke, and Bannan who fit that swing 3-4 position defensively. Was Germer last March a better SF/SG than anyone on that roster or he had brought for this year? I just don't know if that is the case. Really neat how we look at the roster, Germer's 51 point explosion and assume it made sense to offer a scholarship back in last January for a kid that looked like at the time an ill fit for the program with other pressing needs.

Thirdly, even if Travis wanted to offer him a fully scholly (and he might have eventually, cause we really don't know if he did eventually up his offer to Alex) there wasn't a scholarship to offer him in the first place. There was no summer AAU recruiting period, no personal evaluation, no game tape. Travis made it clear that he wasn't going to sign kids without seeing them and that because of the NCAA roster constraints for 2021-22 season he wasn't going to sign people in the fall. Now he has at least two maybe three scholarships available for next year at this moment, but that really wasn't the case last spring or even into the fall. The men have 13 scholarships to offer. Sometimes there are kids that miss because of roster constraints. Travis saw Alex play a lot until last March and made the conclusion that at the time he gave his verbal to MSU that he couldn't see him as a scholarship player. When that happened there were few people on here or elsewhere that were really lamenting that choice to allow Alex leave Missoula to head to Bozeman.

Fourth, Big Sky might be one of the least talented teams in the state at the AA level. They are vastly better than they were a year ago, but this is hardly the team that ruled Missoula basketball for much of the 80's and for spurts in the 90's. They have been absolutely brutalized by open transfer rules in both girls and boys sports, and there doesn't appear to be much help on the horizon. Yes he put up 51, and few have the ability to do that but there are a number of vastly more talented opposition that Sentinel will face this year than Big Sky.

Good on Alex for taking a scholarship offer to play at MSU. I'm happy for him. Really I am. I wish him the best of luck and a hopefully he has a great career at MSU and just not in the 8 games or so he has against the UM.

Very good post

HookedonGriz said:

Have we ever signed a 4 star recruit? (Maybe a PAC 12 transfer) You act like they are every where... 4 stars are PAC 12 not Big Sky...Fast forward a couple years and Germer and kid from AK will be torching us

HookedonGriz said:

Have we ever signed a 4 star recruit? (Maybe a PAC 12 transfer?) You act like they are everywhere... 4 stars are PAC 12 not Big Sky...Fast forward a couple years and Germer and kid from AK will be torching us

Back