• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Broken Brackets NCAA Tourney

CleanHOUSE

Tinks team is doing a number on Tennessee! Was rooting for Utah St. but they played pretty bad turn overs like crazy and cold shooting.
Oral Anal also ruins everyone's brackets, somehow they recruited 2 kids who can go for 30pts against Ohio State, really were the stronger team, thought for sure once it went to OT Buckeyes would pull away, but really were lucky to have a shot for the tie at the end.

All year, we've heard how dominant the Big Ten was, which got them 9 bids. Yet two of the three that have played so far ... have list. Hmmmm...

IdaGriz01 said:
All year, we've heard how dominant the Big Ten was, which got them 9 bids. Yet two of the three that have played so far ... have list. Hmmmm...

Yeah Purdue looking like a turd as well. If Kansas was from the Big10 I would go put some money on EWU right now

CleanHOUSE said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Yeah Purdue looking like a turd as well. If Kansas was from the Big10 I would go put some money on EWU right now
Well, Purdue did manage to force it into overtime, but ... another team from the "powerhouse" Big Ten is going home, 78-69. Way to go "Mean Green!"

AZGrizFan said:
State of Texas 5-0 today (and yesterday)
And guaranteed to have 6 wins after today, since Texas plays Abilene Christian (located in Abilene, Texas) today. Of course, if Texas Southern pulls off another big upset, the state would be 7-0.

Wow, Colorado sure burst the Georgetown "Cinderella" bubble, 96-73 ... and it wasn't that close. Not quite settled who they'll face next. Every time it looks like Florida State might pull away, Greensboro come storming back. Just 3 points, 49-46, FSU.

IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:
State of Texas 5-0 today (and yesterday)
And guaranteed to have 6 wins after today, since Texas plays Abilene Christian (located in Abilene, Texas) today. Of course, if Texas Southern pulls off another big upset, the state would be 7-0.
Well, Texas schools have now won six games. But who would have predicted that Abilene Christian would upset U-Texas? They did, 53-52, on two free throws with 1.2 sec left on the clock.

IdaGriz01 said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Well, Texas schools have now won six games. But who would have predicted that Abilene Christian would upset U-Texas? They did, 53-52, on two free throws with 1.2 sec left on the clock.

And as a Tech fan, my entire tournament is made! Always a good day when the Shorthorns lose....

How’s your bracket? Not good, if it’s like ours. Even before the just-finished upset of #1 seed Illinois, my “feeling” thus far was that we were having an unusual year in terms of the number of top seeds who have already lost.

Being a numbers guy, I decided to see if that was really the case. As some of you may recall, I have worked out my own system for picking who will get bids. With a couple of pretty simply “metrics,” I typically get all but two of the choices the NCAA committee says it agonizes over. (I’ve also managed to get them all, or only one miss, several times.) I was off two again this year, despite the crazy differences in W-L records.

All this means is that I have quite an archive of data. Turns out, my feeling is supported pretty well by the numbers. Over the past six years, an average of 8 top seeds (#8 or better) exited in the first round. This year, we’ve lost ten. Slightly high, but not that big a deal. However, over those same six years less that 2 top-four teams (1.7 per year, mostly #3 and #4) lost their first game. This year 4 top seeds (#2, #3, #4, #4) got bumped in their first games.

Illinois won handily against a #16 seed in their first round. But they fell behind in less than three minutes into the game against #8 Loyola-Chicago … and never led after that.

I think it’s safe to say we’re in for an interesting ride from here on out.

In case you missed it, the mighty(?) Big Ten lost another one ... Baylor over Wisconsin, 76-63. They started with nine team getting bids, most (5) of them with seeds of 4 or better. They're now down to four survivors, with two of them having tough draws: Rutgers vs Houston, today; Maryland vs Alabama, tomorrow.

IdaGriz01 said:
In case you missed it, the mighty(?) Big Ten lost another one ... Baylor over Wisconsin, 76-63. They started with nine team getting bids, most (5) of them with seeds of 4 or better. They're now down to four survivors, with two of them having tough draws: Rutgers vs Houston, today; Maryland vs Alabama, tomorrow.

Overrated every year.

Looking in on the T-Tech vs Arkansas game ... and almost can't decide if we're watching basketball or football. They ref have called "only" 25 fouls with 11-12 minutes to go, but it's not the number of fouls, it's the nature of the calls. Guys are pounding each all over the place ... sometimes getting a call, sometimes not (charging vs blocking is the usual "treat"). One of the roughest, helter-skelter games we've seen in some time.

Edit: Tight all the way, with the Pigs winning by a bucket. Officially 35 fouls called, but it could have been half again (or more) than that, IMO. With all that, a fun game to watch.

Yet another Big Ten team out ... Houston over Rutgers, 63-60. However, credit where credit is due: Rutgers played well, and hard, and led most of the second half until the very end. Houston only woke up with about 4 min left in the game.

Surfing through results, the announcers of some post-game show wondered why Rutgers went into a prevent mode with about five minutes left. I didn't watch the game, and wouldn't have noticed anyway. Whatcha think?

IdaGriz01 said:
Looking in on the T-Tech vs Arkansas game ... and almost can't decide if we're watching basketball or football. They ref have called "only" 25 fouls with 11-12 minutes to go, but it's not the number of fouls, it's the nature of the calls. Guys are pounding each all over the place ... sometimes getting a call, sometimes not (charging vs blocking is the usual "treat"). One of the roughest, helter-skelter games we've seen in some time.

Edit: Tight all the way, with the Pigs winning by a bucket. Officially 35 fouls called, but it could have been half again (or more) than that, IMO. With all that, a fun game to watch.

Bullshit game all the way around. Refs were HORRIBLE. And not just against Tech. The BS technical on the Arkansas guy for hanging on the rim after the dunk; people getting literally assaulted going to the rim, no call. Then a touch foul called on the other end. With 4 minutes to go in the 2nd half they’d called FOUR fouls on Arkansas. 11 on Tech. It was very “big-skyesque” in the quality of reffing out there today. Tech ain’t going to win many games coming out of the half shooting 3/17. But combine that with questionable reffing and you have a recipe for disaster.

Oh well, with Tech gone, I can now go back to not giving a shit about the tournament. :| :|

tourist said:
Surfing through results, the announcers of some post-game show wondered why Rutgers went into a prevent mode with about five minutes left. I didn't watch the game, and wouldn't have noticed anyway. Whatcha think?
Not sure I would totally agree with the notion that Rutgers somehow slacked off toward the end. (However, we were keeping track of multiple games and did not watch straight through on this one.) But it seems to me that, with 4-5 min left in the game, Houston noticeably stepped up their intensity. On the defensive side, that resulted in turnovers and bad shots for Rutgers. They were still trying to be productive, but too many of their trips down the court did not result in points. Meanwhile, the Cougars just kept on scoring until they finally took the lead. Not so much a Rutgers slacking off, but Houston playing more to their potential.

No pony in this race for us, except to root for a west coast team. Ducks leading Iowa at the half, 56-46. Combination of better shooting ... and maybe a bit more hustle. OU shooting just under 60% on field goals and went 7 of 14 (50%) on treys. Iowa shooting FGs pretty well (about 52%) but only 3 of 11 on treys. But despite Iowa's big stud center, the Ducks out-rebounded the Hawkeyes, 18-13.

And another one bites the dust!

Iowa, a 2-seed from the (not so ;) ) Big Ten, just got pounded by 7-seed Oregon, 95-80. The Ducks took the lead with about a minute left in the first half ... and Iowa never came close after a minute or so into the second half.

The Pac-12 (and the state of Oregon :lol: ) now has two teams into the Sweet Sixteen. Still a lot of basketball to be played today, but it's not out of the question that the Big Ten, despite those nine bids, could have none. Maryland has a particularly hard road ahead ... taking on Alabama. Michigan should be able to top LSU, but that's not a given either.

I love March Madness!

Back