• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Eastern beating Kansas 9-0 in first 2 minutes

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
Gotta think Eastern Washington coach Shantay Legans will be the frontrunner for the Indiana gig if EWU holds on against Kansas. …

46-38 at half. My wife’s Eastern’s white look like they are from Yaak and Cheney must not have many barber shops.

Watching EWU's offense makes me realize how dysfunctional our offense was this season. EWU had a total of only 5 turnovers in the first half, and all of those came in the first 8 minutes while they got their early-game jitters out. They had zero turnovers in the final 12 minutes of the first half. They have great court-spacing, crisp passing, and set solid screens. On defense, they are playing great, with only 5 fouls at halftime against one of the blue-blood programs in the nation. And they are a young team too. They lead Kansas by 8 at halftime.

Man this is hard to watch, so much jealousy hahaha. So much you can do if you can make shots! Griz would miss there first 10 shots get down by 20pts right away, then start catch up with the pace of the superior KU athletes then grind there way to 13-14pt loss with no real chance to win it. NOT hating on Griz, just saying our teams are built to have Defensive consistency and tempo control which ='s a steady way to be competitive in every game and win games in the bigsky, but Nick Cronin Cincinnati style teams don't seem to have much success in the tournament especially when they don't have high level athletes...(although UVA did win a ship recently, know for their D and slow pace)

hunt-ducks said:
Watching EWU's offense makes me realize how dysfunctional our offense was this season. EWU had a total of only 5 turnovers in the first half, and all of those came in the first 8 minutes while they got their early-game jitters out. They had zero turnovers in the final 12 minutes of the first half. They have great court-spacing, crisp passing, and set solid screens. On defense, they are playing great, with only 5 fouls at halftime against one of the blue-blood programs in the nation. And they are a young team too. They lead Kansas by 8 at halftime.

Yeah I would say they are quite a bit better on D than Griz, Griz are well coached and have good fundamentals and intensity on D, but they don't really play bigger than the sum of their parts, when better players or athletes go right at them they get pushed around or have to foul, and certainly don't push the other team around by blocking shots or forcing turnovers...Basically if the other team is good they are going to get there's (except Weber lol)

Down to 6 lead after going up to 10. One Kansas guy has all points in half. Is on bench.

Back up to 8. Down to 7.

CleanHOUSE said:
Man this is hard to watch, so much jealousy hahaha. So much you can do if you can make shots! Griz would miss there first 10 shots get down by 20pts right away, then start catch up with the pace of the superior KU athletes then grind there way to 13-14pt loss with no real chance to win it. NOT hating on Griz, just saying our teams are built to have Defensive consistency and tempo control which ='s a steady way to be competitive in every game and win games in the bigsky, but Nick Cronin Cincinnati style teams don't seem to have much success in the tournament especially when they don't have high level athletes...(although UVA did win a ship recently, know for their D and slow pace)

Read an interesting article that predicted EWU would have a chance of an upset based on past low seed upsets that I think is a model the Griz should try to follow.

The theory was that teams that have a wide spread between their average possession length on offense and defense have a better chance of upsets. EWU shoots faster than all but 29 teams in the country meaning they are running, playing quickly and in theory getting good shots. Conversely, their defensive average possession was better than all but 64 teams meaning in theory they weren’t giving up a lot of easy shots.

The take away is that playing fast and playing great defensive are not mutually exclusive. And also contrary to conventional wisdom, lower seeded teams do not necessarily need to slow the ball down to win. EWU scored over 82 and was very competitive.

GrizBall said:
CleanHOUSE said:

Read an interesting article that predicted EWU would have a chance of an upset based on past low seed upsets that I think is a model the Griz should try to follow.

The theory was that teams that have a wide spread between their average possession length on offense and defense have a better chance of upsets. EWU shoots faster than all but 29 teams in the country meaning they are running, playing quickly and in theory getting good shots. Conversely, their defensive average possession was better than all but 64 teams meaning in theory they weren’t giving up a lot of easy shots.

The take away is that playing fast and playing great defensive are not mutually exclusive. And also contrary to conventional wisdom, lower seeded teams do not necessarily need to slow the ball down to win. EWU scored over 82 and was very competitive.

Link that shiz

CleanHOUSE said:
GrizBall said:

Link that shiz

Unfortunately it is on a pay site, but I think they are running a $1 free month special right now.

I think this is the key passage:

Further, what’s hidden away is pure gold when it comes to longshots. Alabama’s coach is Nate Oats, as in the coach who took Buffalo to three MAC championships and underdog NCAA bids from 2016 to 2019. Those Bulls played the same way the Crimson Tide do today. They were relentless on defense, harassing opponents into high-risk passes and low-efficiency shots, and they bombed away on offense. Fast breaks and open looks for me, but not for thee; as Oats put it, “Offensive pace shouldn’t dictate defensive effort.”

In 2018, Oats’ Bulls were fifth-quickest in the nation in offensive possession length but 291st on defense, and wiped out Arizona in a 13-4 upset.

https://theathletic.com/2440332/2021/03/15/winthrop-syracuse-and-vcu-all-have-upset-potential-because-of-this-metric/?source=user_shared_article

Back