• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Legans

HelenaHandBasket said:
finalizing a deal to become the next head coach at Portland

This is big news. The question now is do some of EWU's stars look to move up. Tanner Groves and Aiken have been there 4 years already (each redshirted). They really have nothing else to prove at the Big Sky level. Although if I am EWU Administration I would be talking to them about possible jersey retirements.

The other thing is that EWU has royally screwed this up. It seems like I have seen articles about the university questioning whether or not they should even be D-1 or have athletics at all. I am sure Portland paid a lot more, but it seems like he would have had better opportunities. Almost sounds like he couldn't wait to get out.

HelenaHandBasket said:
From the Spokane paper: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/mar/22/following-ncaa-tournament-berth-shantay-legans-lea/

Kinda weird, really. Can't imagine that U. of Portland can offer him a lot more dough. But UP is in the West Coast Conference (along with Gonzaga, etc.) which, for all its problems with competitive balance, gets way more respect than the Big Sky in basketball. I suspect the uncertain financial situation in Cheney has something to do with this too. (Note "GrizBall" post that appeared before I could finish mine.)

IdaGriz01 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
From the Spokane paper: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2021/mar/22/following-ncaa-tournament-berth-shantay-legans-lea/

Kinda weird, really. Can't imagine that U. of Portland can offer him a lot more dough. But UP is in the West Coast Conference (along with Gonzaga, etc.) which, for all its problems with competitive balance, gets way more respect than the Big Sky in basketball. I suspect the uncertain financial situation in Cheney has something to do with this too. (Note "GrizBall" post that appeared before I could finish mine.)

UP is pretty well off Private School, and you get a shot at knocking off Gonzaga and do that a few times an all of a sudden P5 schools are calling

It may seem like a wtf move, honestly when you stop and think about it, it makes sense. With Eastern's budget crisis and the toxicity between the AD and the school, you had to see this coming.

CleanHOUSE said:
IdaGriz01 said:

UP is pretty well off Private School, and you get a shot at knocking off Gonzaga and do that a few times an all of a sudden P5 schools are calling
It helps having nike right in your backyard too.

CleanHOUSE said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Holy cow! Just dug some more about the school, and they do seem to be rolling in dough. They've done several multi-million-dollar campus additions in the past few years, including a new strength and conditioning facility. Legans probably is going to get a hefty raise. And I'm sure he relishes the thought of challenging nationally-known teams like Gonzaga and BYU.

Lol. So much for EWU “running the conference” these next few years. Can’t even go a year without D2 talks. As far as Legans goes, he took the bag and ran. Can’t really blame him but don’t think he’ll be dancing again anytime soon.

UMFan12 said:
Lol. So much for EWU “running the conference” these next few years. Can’t even go a year without D2 talks. As far as Legans goes, he took the bag and ran. Can’t really blame him but don’t think he’ll be dancing again anytime soon.

Think he is set up pretty nice to be dancing next year even...

SACCAT66 said:
UMFan12 said:
Think he is set up pretty nice to be dancing next year even...
Well, maybe ... if he persuades all his starters to follow him to Portland. The Pilots have won all of one conference game in the last three years. They averaged less than 4 conference wins per year over the last decade. Not much of a base to start from.

Legans will be replacing 9 players on his roster at Portland. He'd need a lot more than his EWU starting lineup at this point. I could see a couple following him provided the NCAA does sign off on the free transfer rule at the NCAA tournament.

Groves brothers? I dunno. They are so solidly entrenched in the Spokane community that I would be surprised to see either of them leave for anything short of a scholarship at Gonzaga.

IdaGriz01 said:
CleanHOUSE said:
Holy cow! Just dug some more about the school, and they do seem to be rolling in dough. They've done several multi-million-dollar campus additions in the past few years, including a new strength and conditioning facility. Legans probably is going to get a hefty raise. And I'm sure he relishes the thought of challenging nationally-known teams like Gonzaga and BYU.

Yeah I think if St. Mary can get some big time basketball going Legins should have enough at UP to build at least a similar level of program. I think their baseball program is also very solid

GrizBall said:
Almost sounds like he couldn't wait to get out.

You’ve been to Cheney right? I can’t wait to leave that cesspool after a few hours on a Saturday. Can you imagine having to live there?

Taking a big raise to leave Cheney is a no-brainer. Hell, taking a pay CUT to leave Cheney is a no-brainer.

Good for him!

I wonder if part of the quick departure comes from his concern that EWU athletics are on the verge of losing funding and moving down. Perhaps he was getting off the sinking ship early. At least, he will have a long-term and pershap well-paid job at least eventually. I would think Gonzaga would be happy to get at least one of the brothers.

PlayerRep said:
I wonder if part of the quick departure comes from his concern that EWU athletics are on the verge of losing funding and moving down. Perhaps he was getting off the sinking ship early. At least, he will have a long-term and pershap well-paid job at least eventually. I would think Gonzaga would be happy to get at least one of the brothers.
I think they’re a package deal, and the zags probably wouldn’t take them both.

My take on the Groves brothers. Gonzaga can get anyone, so not sure that the Groves brothers would be high on their list. I could see them in Portland, but depending on whom gets the EWU job, and that they remain D1, I think they stay right in Cheney.

grizindabox said:
My take on the Groves brothers. Gonzaga can get anyone, so not sure that the Groves brothers would be high on their list. I could see them in Portland, but depending on whom gets the EWU job, and that they remain D1, I think they stay right in Cheney.

Gonzaga can't get anyone.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

Gonzaga can't get anyone.

Yeah, my bad. Poor Gonzaga.

When the bsc begins losing their better coaches to a doormat in the WCC, it's beyond time for major changes. They won't happen, of course, because bsc.

Back