• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jacob Groves in transfer Portal

Sport

Younger brother of EWU star Tanner Groves has entered the transfer portal. Is he headed to Portland? Would he be interested in Montana or would we even want him. My money says he goes to Portland. What say you?

both groves are in the portal. the big sky mvp is transferring. wow. with that and ewu coach gone, i think next yr is gonna be old school style, weber n griz top 2.

UMFan12 said:
Top 4 next season of Weber, MSU, UM, and Eastern. Book it

EWU loses their coach and at least 3 players, including both Groves brothers, and stays at the top?

MikeyGriz said:
UMFan12 said:
Top 4 next season of Weber, MSU, UM, and Eastern. Book it

EWU loses their coach and at least 3 players, including both Groves brothers, and stays at the top?
Until Aiken and Meadows leave, yes. Who in the other 7 is better than Groves less EWU? Jack Perry will return for EWU and they have a good incoming class.

UMFan12 said:
MikeyGriz said:
Until Aiken and Meadows leave, yes. Who in the other 7 is better than Groves less EWU? Jack Perry will return for EWU and they have a good incoming class.

With all the turmoil everywhere, I'd say it's way too early to "book it". Lots of addition and subtraction still to come. Especially if your team can do some addition without any subtraction.

UMFan12 said:
MikeyGriz said:
Until Aiken and Meadows leave, yes. Who in the other 7 is better than Groves less EWU?

I like Idaho State’s chances. Finished fourth this year, has every significant player returning and two good recruits coming in.

MikeyGriz said:
UMFan12 said:

With all the turmoil everywhere, I'd say it's way too early to "book it". Lots of addition and subtraction still to come. Especially if your team can do some addition without any subtraction.
:clap: :thumb:

Dillon said:
MikeyGriz said:
:clap: :thumb:
In fact, you could say that the Big Sky is a "microcosm" for most of college basketball. The transfer portal is loaded with talent from everywhere ... nothing programs all the way to the top. The main difference for the biggies is the amount of top talent that has, or will soon, enter the NBA draft. It's going to be crazy, and here's a good article about it: https://nypost.com/2021/04/03/college-basketball-coaches-furious-with-wild-west-transfer-portal/

Some key quotes:
With the belief that players switching schools won’t have to sit out next year — since the Division I council will vote on a rule in April that would allow everyone to transfer once without penalty, and NCAA president Mark Emmert said on Thursday he expects it to pass — fans will need a scorecard to identify rosters.
According to the website, VerbalCommits.com, which tracks such data, roughly 1,200 players are currently in the transfer portal, which is already a record amount. ... At this time last year, the number in the portal was barely 600. There are 357 Division I teams and each school gets 13 scholarships. That means roughly 25.8 percent of players are considering leaving their current programs, a rate that is increasing daily.
It's a fairly long article, but well worth the time if you're interested in the topic.

Once we've adjusted to the new transfer portal, and the Supreme Court has ruled on the issue of proper compensation for student-athletes, I believe we'll look back on the old system as something resembling a plantation, where the overseers (the NCAA executives, the big schools and the college coaches) made tons of money, while the talent got less than its fair share, and was bound by unfair labor practices in their inability to freely seek better opportunities.

The entire collegiate system has been similar to the old "Reserve Clause" which stifled player movement and salaries in professional sport for so long. The odd thing is, when Curt Flood sued to end the Reserve Clause in the early 70's, he lost in the Supreme Court, which acknowledged the "historical precedent" of the reserve clause--the exact same argument the NCAA just made before the Supreme Court. But as I listened to oral argument the other day on the case now pending before the Supreme Court, it didn't sound to me like the justices had much patience with the "historical precedent" argument. I think the NCAA is in for a rude awakening.

It wasn't until 1975 that an independent arbiter made a decision that basically ended the Reserve Clause.

Back