• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

the game

Cinderella theory. Makes me almost think Griz football won't win the NC this year. Almost. :thumb:

I suppose that, even after getting waxed by Baylor, there are a few hundred teams out there that would gladly trade places with a 31-1 team like the Zags.

Play that game 10 times and the Zags win at least five of them. Baylor was just far better last night, and the Zags were a tired crew, both mentally and physically. It's not always good to be unbeaten.

EverettGriz said:
Play that game 10 times and the Zags win at least five of them. Baylor was just far better last night, and the Zags were a tired crew, both mentally and physically. It's not always good to be unbeaten.

Don't disagree that Gonzaga could beat Baylor in "some" out of ten. Can't quite buy the "tired crew" comment though. College kids aren't going to be "tired" for a national title game they've been gearing towards all season. Always interesting how "tired" comes into conversations that also include "loss". Gonzaga was proven to be a very good team that lacked a bit defensively in each of its last two games. Baylor's defense was the difference in the game.

Mousegriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Don't disagree that Gonzaga could beat Baylor in "some" out of ten. Can't quite buy the "tired crew" comment though. College kids aren't going to be "tired" for a national title game they've been gearing towards all season. Always interesting how "tired" comes into conversations that also include "loss". Gonzaga was proven to be a very good team that lacked a bit defensively in each of its last two games. Baylor's defense was the difference in the game.
Whether or not they’ve been preparing the entire season for it doesn’t change the fact that almost all the starters played over 40 minutes with just a days rest between, while their opponents blew the doors off Houston and got the starters out early.

UMFan12 said:
Mousegriz said:
Whether or not they’ve been preparing the entire season for it doesn’t change the fact that almost all the starters played over 40 minutes with just a days rest between, while their opponents blew the doors off Houston and got the starters out early.

All of which is the beauty of march madness. If Gonzaga would have played better against UCLA their starters could have gotten rest.
Gonzaga is a top tier team year in and year out they have nothing to be ashamed of. That being said no excuses when you are the top team in the championship game, they got out hustled, abused on the glass and Baylors depth made a big impact.

Mavman said:
UMFan12 said:

All of which is the beauty of march madness. If Gonzaga would have played better against UCLA their starters could have gotten rest.
Gonzaga is a top tier team year in and year out they have nothing to be ashamed of. That being said no excuses when you are the top team in the championship game, they got out hustled, abused on the glass and Baylors depth made a big impact.

Oh for sure, no excuse for someone who’s 6’5 (albeit 250 lbs) grabbing 8 offensive rebounds when Gonzaga as a team had 5. Vital ate those boards up.

UMFan12 said:
Mousegriz said:

40 minutes of clock...... 10 long TV timeouts every 4 minutes of game clock....extra long halftime.......8 additional team timeouts...... inevitable replay reviews 2 or 3 times in the last couple minutes of the game.... 18 to 21 year old kids in the finest shape of their lives.

Why is it always the loser that's so tired? Was Gonzaga their "tiredest" when Baylor went up 9 - 0 in the first couple minutes of the game?

"Tired" is a weak excuse no Gonzaga player or coach would ever use.

Mousegriz said:
UMFan12 said:

40 minutes of clock...... 10 long TV timeouts every 4 minutes of game clock....extra long halftime.......8 additional team timeouts...... inevitable replay reviews 2 or 3 times in the last couple minutes of the game.... 18 to 21 year old kids in the finest shape of their lives.

Why is it always the loser that's so tired? Was Gonzaga their "tiredest" when Baylor went up 9 - 0 in the first couple minutes of the game?

If the zags ever want to win they need to get out of that bsc like conference, they play 4 to 5 hard games and then of the season play cupcakes !

fanofzoo said:
Mousegriz said:

If the zags ever want to win they need to get out of that bsc like conference, they play 4 to 5 hard games and then of the season play cupcakes !

And only made it to the National Championship game. Slackers! :lol:

Absolutely no excuses. Not that Few or anyone associated with the Zag program would make them in any event. But if you don't believe that both physical and emotional exhaustion played a part in that game, I'm at a loss as to what to say. Baylor is terrific, and was my pick to be champion. Saying the Zags were tired bunch doesn't take ANYthing away from Baylor.

As for playing top teams, the Zags scheduled Kansas, Auburn, West VA, Baylor, Iowa and Virginia (Baylor was canceled due to Covid). They won all of those games by 10 or more with the exception of WV. Three of those teams finished in the TOP FIVE in the nation, two more were in the top 20. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I don't think weak scheduling is an issue....

EverettGriz said:
Absolutely no excuses. Not that Few or anyone associated with the Zag program would make them in any event. But if you don't believe that both physical and emotional exhaustion played a part in that game, I'm at a loss as to what to say. Baylor is terrific, and was my pick to be champion. Saying the Zags were tired bunch doesn't take ANYthing away from Baylor.

As for playing top teams, the Zags scheduled Kansas, Auburn, West VA, Baylor, Iowa and Virginia (Baylor was canceled due to Covid). They won all of those games by 10 or more with the exception of WV. Three of those teams finished in the TOP FIVE in the nation, two more were in the top 20. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I don't think weak scheduling is an issue....

While I definitely agree that exhaustion was a factor, it also appeared clear to me that Gonzaga was outclassed athletically at a few positions. That's not to say that Gonzaga doesn't have elite athletes either, rather that Baylor has superior athleticism on average across their entire lineup. I've just never seen such relentless, athletic team defense. It was really fun to watch. The way the Bears were able to deny Timme in the post was a sight to behold.

EverettGriz said:

The physical and emotional exhaustion became real obvious once it was 9 - 0 about 130 seconds in. The game was basically over at that point due to exhaustion! Even if Gonzaga had taken that 9 - 0 lead to start the game the exhaustion was going to play a part! Is that really your take Everett?

I think the big cause of that exhaustion for Gonzaga was when Suggs jumped up on that table after he made the big shot on Saturday. Just finding the energy to hoist that shot from as far away as he did had to really take it out of Suggs. So foolish of Few to let those guys celebrate like that on Saturday. It had to just exhaust them. Baylor's guys had played earlier and their coach made them turn out their lights the moment OT of the UCLA Gonzaga game started.

Kind of like the Missoulian, the Baylor guys woke up Sunday not knowing who'd they'd play on Monday. But they were so well rested and they knew they'd win Monday because of Gonzaga's exhaustion.

Back