• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Surprising Hoops Stat

HookedonGriz

DONOR
I must admit I’m pretty critical of our team’s shooting sometimes, so this stat shocked me:

https://twitter.com/montanagrizbb/status/1379855726097563656?s=21

But here is the issue according to Haslametrics.com:

Montana happens to be one of the very worst in the game when it comes to maximizing the number of shot attempts they get off from the floor. The team is nationally ranked 347th in offensive field goal attempt rate vs. an Average Opponent.

Average opponent is a calculation he uses to be able to judge every team against the same criteria.

HookedonGriz said:
I must admit I’m pretty critical of our team’s shooting sometimes, so this stat shocked me:

https://twitter.com/montanagrizbb/status/1379855726097563656?s=21

Doesn't shock me. Have you looked at the individual stats for this team?

From three:

Owens 40%
Beasely 37.8%
Parker 46.3%
Vazquez 43.6% (On more than 100 attempts.)
Egun 35%

Those are wonderful numbers. And I think Whitney will kick it up next year. Kid's another good shooter.

From the foul line we shot 78%--15th best in the entire country. Generally the team that can shoot free throws can shoot from the field.

We've got the shooters!

What we don't have is the system to free up our shooters. We need to revamp this entire offense.

And--"We don't have the meats!" We've got to bulk up.

Basketball used to be about height mostly.

John Wooden introduced quickness.

Now you need height, quickness AND physicality.

Or did you miss Baylor in the championship game.

GrizBall said:

Montana happens to be one of the very worst in the game when it comes to maximizing the number of shot attempts they get off from the floor. The team is nationally ranked 347th in offensive field goal attempt rate vs. an Average Opponent.

Average opponent is a calculation he uses to be able to judge every team against the same criteria.

Yeah. In our perpetual never-ending old-school "search for the better shot" we wind up stifling our good shooters by not shooting enough shots! Especially from downtown.

Exhibit A: All the times we hit that three to five minute "drought," where we just can't put the damned ball in the basket. It's cost us many a game.

I don't now how anybody on this board could have watched the NCAA tournament and not have seen how fuddy-duddy our offense is, especially compared to the top teams.

citay said:
GrizBall said:

Yeah. In our perpetual never-ending old-school "search for the better shot" we wind up stifling our good shooters by not shooting enough shots! Especially from downtown.

Exhibit A: All the times we hit that three to five minute "drought," where we just can't put the damned ball in the basket. It's cost us many a game.

I don't now how anybody on this board could have watched the NCAA tournament and not have seen how fuddy-duddy our offense is, especially compared to the top teams.

Maybe the 50's style of offense is coming back.

Could we get Alabama Griz to see how our fast break stats compare to the rest of the country.

fanofzoo said:
citay said:

Maybe the 50's style of offense is coming back.

Could we get Alabama Griz to see how our fast break stats compare to the rest of the country.

Not Alabama Griz, but according to Synergy 9.6% of their possessions were transition. This was 332nd out of 347 teams nationally.

We rank 321st out of 347 NCAA teams in shots taken.

We attempted 154 3-point shots. Here's how many a few of the prominent NCAA tournament teams took:

Oral Roberts 754
Baylor 593
Florida St. 464
Michigan 468
Iowa 733
Virginia 535
Oregon 575

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take."--Wayne Gretsky.

citay said:
We rank 321st out of 347 NCAA teams in shots taken.

We attempted 154 3-point shots. Here's how many a few of the prominent NCAA tournament teams took:

Oral Roberts 754
Baylor 593
Florida St. 464
Michigan 468
Iowa 733
Virginia 535
Oregon 575

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take."--Wayne Gretsky.

I think you may have misread attempts and makes. They made 154 out of 425 attempts is how I read it.

154 divided by 28 = 5.5 made per game. 15.2 attempts per game.

It is of minimal value to shoot a nice percentage with so few 3-pt shots taken. I'm assuming that mostly wide open and late-game 3-s are taken.

Out rebounded in conf play. Out rebounded 117-154 in offensive rebounds in conf play.

.9 assists to TO ratio for team.

Back