• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2021-2022 Big Sky Projections

GrizBall

Torvik is projecting the Big Sky Conf next year. He also projects how he think players will perform, including transfers to date.

And yes I know it’s too early. And yes I know lots of teams will look different when the season starts. I know all of this. This can be just another thread speculating about stuff that no one knows just like all of the others.

https://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php?conlimit=BSky&state=All&year=2022&sort=

The formula assumes that if a senior has not formally announced his intention to return, then he is not included in the projections. SUU's seniors have said they are coming back for another year, but I don't believe MSU's have affirmatively announced which is why MSU is lower than would normally be expected.

I don't get how SUU can recruit enough good players to be an elite Big Sky BB team. Have ever been to Cedar City? That town has zero culture if one is not LDS. There is very little diversity there and almost no nightlife. Why would an African American kid want to play BB there?

Maybe their players are all Caucasian........ I have no idea since I have not watched them play. It just seems like a tough job for a coach to recruit urban athletes to SUU. Fill me in if I am missing something.

hunt-ducks said:
I don't get how SUU can recruit enough good players to be an elite Big Sky BB team. Have ever been to Cedar City? That town has zero culture if one is not LDS. There is very little diversity there and almost no nightlife. Why would an African American kid want to play BB there?

Maybe their players are all Caucasian........ I have no idea since I have not watched them play. It just seems like a tough job for a coach to recruit urban athletes to SUU. Fill me in if I am missing something.

People said the same thing about Chris Beard and recruiting kids to play in Lubbock, TX (if you’ve ever been there, you know what I’m talking about). He got many top 100 recruits and transfers to come to Lubbock, even when they had offers from blue blood schools like Kansas, NC, Kentucky, etc...many times I think it’s the coach’s ability to just “connect” with a player....hell, I’ve wondered how many of these BSC schools get kids to come play there when there’s literally 15 people in the stands at home games....yet for some reason “atmosphere” doesn’t seem to be high on their list of wants/needs/priorities either. Go figure.

AZGrizFan said:
hunt-ducks said:

People said the same thing about Chris Beard and recruiting kids to play in Lubbock, TX (if you’ve ever been there, you know what I’m talking about). He got many top 100 recruits and transfers to come to Lubbock, even when they had offers from blue blood schools like Kansas, NC, Kentucky, etc...many times I think it’s the coach’s ability to just “connect” with a player....hell, I’ve wondered how many of these BSC schools get kids to come play there when there’s literally 15 people in the stands at home games....yet for some reason “atmosphere” doesn’t seem to be high on their list of wants/needs/priorities either. Go figure.

Cedar City is little more than a two hour drive to Vegas, which makes the location a little more palatable.

SUU has nailed their “down” transfers with Jones making first team all-conference (U of Illinois) and Knight 2nd Team (Utah State). Also got solid contributions from some off the radar kids that stayed there all 4 years and improved each year.

And while many of us on this board laugh about it, every D-1 kid thinks he is playing professionally somewhere after college. So for a kid like Jones, who spent two unsuccessful years at Illinois, he views it as only two more years to showcase his talents. I am sure SUU told him he could come in and be the MAN, take 175 3 pointers (which he did) and really showcase his talents. I am assuming the fact that there may be little game day atmosphere was not important to him as he had already experienced that at Illinois.

Simon was also the coach at Findlay Prep which was a prep “school” (heavy sarcasm on the word school) that turned out a ton of NBA players. I am sure he is using that as a selling point. In addition, SUU plays a style that is very attractive to kids (led the Big Sky with 672 3PT attempts despite being 7th in percentage).

Having watched a couple games of UNCs juco commit Dalton Knecht, he should 100% be going high major. Several sights had him ranked amongst the top 10 JUCO players in the country, with the other 9 all being committed to or having interest from high major schools. He will be an impact player the second he steps foot in Greeley.

Back