• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

And the new head coach of the Lady Griz is...

Congratulations Brian and welcome to Missoula. I, for one, am anxious to get the Lady Griz basketball program back on track and will support you in any way possible.

I’m completely okay with this. This program needs a new leader and some new energy and some new recruiting. We need a major upgrade in talent and he can help with that!

HookedonGriz said:
I’m completely okay with this. This program needs a new leader and some new energy and some new recruiting. We need a major upgrade in talent and he can help with that!

Just read the story on him and I am definitely ok with this hire, Montana roots, what more can you ask for.
Good job Kent.

How is it possible to sign your 1st pick to a 4 year contract? Everyone knows the best candidate for the job is #6! :eek:

I'm guessing that between those who liked Campbell and those who wanted to keep Petrino, we're seeing a polite but tepid response to Holsinger. Like the crazy uncle who shows up at the family reunion.

Two issues for Holsinger to deal with.

Petrino. Any room for him on the staff? Do you even keep a coach who has been demoted from his previous position? Probably not a good idea according the the M.B.A. handbook of Personnel Management.

And: Nate Covill, a devoted ex-Griz who just moved his family to Missoula, and whose daughter at 6'5" is an emerging star at the high school level. Is he in the assistant mix?

citay said:
I'm guessing that between those who liked Campbell and those who wanted to keep Petrino, we're seeing a polite but tepid response to Holsinger. Like the crazy uncle who shows up at the family reunion.

Petrino. Any room for him on the staff? Do you even keep a coach who has been demoted from his previous position? Probably not a good idea according the the M.B.A. handbook of Personnel Management.

And: Nate Covill, a devoted ex-Griz who just moved his family to Missoula, and whose daughter at 6'5" is an emerging star at the high school level. Is he in the assistant mix?
6'5? Jesus I only got an inch on her. In that case Covill should absolutely stay on staff, and I would love nothing more then for Petrino to remain on staff but it may rub him the wrong way and understandably so.

HookedonGriz said:

On talent last season, note that 1 good player transferred to Idaho and 1 to Carroll. Those 2 would have made a big difference in the season.

Missoulian article about the new coach. Talks about recruiting:

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/brian-holsingers-recruiting-prowess-may-be-just-what-doctor-ordered-for-lady-griz/article_c384e7c7-b2bc-56cc-87f8-f956a61bba8b.html

He's developed connections all over the country and outside the country. So the next few years will be interesting.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

On talent last season, note that 1 good player transferred to Idaho and 1 to Carroll. Those 2 would have made a big difference in the season.

Yes that’s a valid point. Lost two big time players.

I think you got a good one in Holsinger. It may take a year or two before he gets enough talent on the roster to compete for the conference title, but I have a feeling it is coming.

It would be great to have 4 strong programs that continually push each other to get better. Strong teams that can knock off a few powers in the non-conference schedule will bring more prestige to the Big Sky and help with getting decent a seed in the NCAA tournament. Look at how the South Dakota schools have emerged as top mid-major programs and both earned a trip this year.

And his biggest strength is he comes from 2 land grant universities. :D

citay said:

That's exactly where I'm at. Holzinger is definitely more than qualified to turn the program around, but on the other hand I'm fairly surprised it wasn't Campbell. It just seemed to me that Campbell's resume is undeniable.

I understand those who really value Holzinger's MT connection, but that aspect is relatively minor in my valuation of a coach. To me, if you can recruit the top 2 picks in the WNBA draft, you can recruit ANYWHERE, whether its in Barcelona or Wibaux.

On that note, I think it's interesting how reticent U of M is to hire coaches for their major athletic programs that don't have some direct connection to Montana. I don't think I've noticed this phenomenon to the same extent anywhere else.

gotgame75 said:
citay said:

That's exactly where I'm at. Holzinger is definitely more than qualified to turn the program around, but on the other hand I'm fairly surprised it wasn't Campbell. It just seemed to me that Campbell's resume is undeniable.

I understand those who really value Holzinger's MT connection, but that aspect is relatively minor in my valuation of a coach. To me, if you can recruit the top 2 picks in the WNBA draft, you can recruit ANYWHERE, whether its in Barcelona or Wibaux.

On that note, I think it's interesting how reticent U of M is to hire coaches for their major athletic programs that don't have some direct connection to Montana. I don't think I've noticed this phenomenon to the same extent anywhere else.

I thought Campbell was the guy if they want to raise the bar, but maybe the deciders thought he would be more apt to move on to a better program if he was successful. Just spitballing, maybe someone in the know has an answer. Wider recruiting connections were needed either way, so I'm liking that.

Back