• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz Recruiting

OregonStateFan

Lady Griz fans:

I’m a big Oregon State fan and newly found Lady Griz fan and I figured I would add a post about Holsinger’s recruiting. Always rooted for the Lady Griz with Katie Baker Faulkner around (she recently left us for Washington which was pretty devastating :( ).

I know that there appears to be a bit of a divide right now about Holsinger, but you you’ll be extremely hard pressed to find an Oregon State fan or player/former player that has a single negative thing to say about him. I hope for you all that proves to be the same thing down the road. Great guy and a great family guy.

Holsinger was a very good recruiter at OSU. The talent he helped bring in at OSU in the 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 classes was incredible. We will greatly miss his recruiting and his persona in Corvallis. Him and Faulkner seemed to be 1A and 1B when it came to recruiting.

I could see him really keying in on the Pacific Northwest, the Midwest, and Europe while at Montana. The NW Blazers (Eastern Washington club), especially. He also recruited Texas a lot at Oregon State.

I think he will recruit really well at Montana and he’ll definitely get the right kids. One of those kids I would be on the lookout for is 2022 Marya Hudgins. She is a talented guard from Colorado who starts on and is a main player on the Colorado Premier EYBL team. We were recruiting her to OSU at one point, but our 2022 class is mostly full and she really liked Holsinger. Probably similar to Haley Huard in that she could have played at a lower level Pac-12 school but could be a VERY good Big Sky player.

I’m thrilled with the new coach, the moves he’s already made on his staff, and his roster. This is exactly what the doctor ordered.

OregonStateFan said:
Lady Griz fans:

I’m a big Oregon State fan and newly found Lady Griz fan and I figured I would add a post about Holsinger’s recruiting. Always rooted for the Lady Griz with Katie Baker Faulkner around (she recently left us for Washington which was pretty devastating :( ).

I know that there appears to be a bit of a divide right now about Holsinger, but you you’ll be extremely hard pressed to find an Oregon State fan or player/former player that has a single negative thing to say about him. I hope for you all that proves to be the same thing down the road. Great guy and a great family guy.

Holsinger was a very good recruiter at OSU. The talent he helped bring in at OSU in the 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 classes was incredible. We will greatly miss his recruiting and his persona in Corvallis. Him and Faulkner seemed to be 1A and 1B when it came to recruiting.

I could see him really keying in on the Pacific Northwest, the Midwest, and Europe while at Montana. The NW Blazers (Eastern Washington club), especially. He also recruited Texas a lot at Oregon State.

I think he will recruit really well at Montana and he’ll definitely get the right kids. One of those kids I would be on the lookout for is 2022 Marya Hudgins. She is a talented guard from Colorado who starts on and is a main player on the Colorado Premier EYBL team. We were recruiting her to OSU at one point, but our 2022 class is mostly full and she really liked Holsinger. Probably similar to Haley Huard in that she could have played at a lower level Pac-12 school but could be a VERY good Big Sky player.

There are at least 6 Lady Griz players and parents who don't like Holsinger, i.e. the ones he cut in the first week via zoom. Included in the cuts were the 2 daughters of the former coach, as well as a promising Native American from MT. Also, some fans including me. Did he cut players at Ore. St. via zoom? So far, he looks like an asshole to me. Is this how he treats players? Just takes away their scholarships without hardly talking to them? He said his first new recruit, from Germany, was a good shooter from the perimeter. On her German professlonal team, in 18 games, she's missed all of her 3 point shots. The good news, I guess, is that she averages 1.2 points per game.

PlayerRep said:
OregonStateFan said:
Lady Griz fans:

There are at least 6 Lady Griz players and parents who don't like Holsinger, i.e. the ones he cut in the first week via zoom. Included in the cuts were the 2 daughters of the former coach, as well as a promising Native American from MT. Also, some fans including me. Did he cut players at Ore. St. via zoom? So far, he looks like an asshole to me. Is this how he treats players? Just takes away their scholarships without hardly talking to them? He said his first new recruit, from Germany, was a good shooter from the perimeter. On her German professlonal team, in 18 games, she's missed all of her 3 point shots. The good news, I guess, is that she averages 1.2 points per game.
When will you finally get over Holsinger cutting 6 non factor division one basketball players, most of which had no place playing division one basketball in the first place. This isn’t 5th grade, if a coach has a different idea on the direction he wants to go, that’s his decision. This wouldn’t have struck the nerve it did with you had you not known one of the players personally. This is a business.

What PR meant to say is,,,,, He gave an opportunity to 6 girls who would otherwise not be seeing a minute of playing time under his leadership at the Division 1 level. They were NAIA talent at best. He has stepped up to the challenge to bring the Lady Griz to a point where they don't lose to the last place team in the conference tournament. Ultimately, by cutting them loose, he has done them and the program a great favor, and I believe will now begin to rebuild that which was in decline, but absolutely destroyed by the previous coach(not the interim coach). Montana feels incredibly fortunate to have him. The only way is up from here.

PlayerRep said:
OregonStateFan said:
Lady Griz fans:

Awww look who has a personal grudge. How cute. Obsession looks good on you. Keep on trolling bud.

I think I read you guys lost (or Holsinger cut) six or so players. If so, that is probably more players than had transferred out of the program in his entire tenure at Oregon State if I had to guess. I would not expect that to be the norm in years to come.

He’ll put on emphasis on keeping the best kids from Montana home, but he won’t just recruit a kid because they’re from Montana. We rarely had a lot of Oregon kids on our roster because Oregon did not produce much Power 5 level talent.

This is what a parent of one of our players who transferred before Holsinger took the Montana job said about him:
https://twitter.com/hollyandpat/status/1380488484503351297?s=21
https://twitter.com/hollyandpat/status/1380489371070107649?s=21

OregonStateFan said:
I think I read you guys lost (or Holsinger cut) six or so players. If so, that is probably more players than had transferred out of the program in his entire tenure at Oregon State if I had to guess. I would not expect that to be the norm in years to come.

He’ll put on emphasis on keeping the best kids from Montana home, but he won’t just recruit a kid because they’re from Montana. We rarely had a lot of Oregon kids on our roster because Oregon did not produce much Power 5 level talent.

This is what a parent of one of our players who transferred before Holsinger took the Montana job said about him:

Your guy CUT 6 existing players almost immediately. Via zoom calls. This part of one of the tweets you provided did not seem to be evident: " Loyalty, caring".

PlayerRep said:
OregonStateFan said:

Your guy CUT 6 existing players almost immediately. Via zoom calls. This part of one of the tweets you provided did not seem to be evident: " Loyalty, caring".

He made a difficult decision. That's what you want in a leader.

PlayerRep said:
OregonStateFan said:

Why do you give more leeway to the lady Griz program than the Men’s team or football team? For as dominant as the lady Griz were they are literally nowhere close to the standard that Robin built. They are a bad team, and have been since Robin left. I know Rob never cut players, but that’s not the reality of college athletics today. The Lady Griz recruited some really bad players. Let them go and be successful at their appropriate level. This is a business. A what can you do for me now business. I know the Lady Griz were shielded from these unfortunate realities for a long time...but it’s honestly baffling how Lady Griz fans have become so complacent with a substandard product. If the production were the same for football or men’s basketball, people would be calling for heads to roll

There is only 1 person on this board that has a problem with Holsinger. This person thinks if they yell the loudest and make the same statement over and over eventually it will become true.

Brian was a great hire and this Griz fan can't wait for him to turn this team around.

helenaumfan said:
There is only 1 person on this board that has a problem with Holsinger. This person thinks if they yell the loudest and make the same statement over and over eventually it will become true.

Brian was a great hire and this Griz fan can't wait for him to turn this team around.

Sad to say but it works doesn't it.

LittleBear said:
PlayerRep said:

Why do you give more leeway to the lady Griz program than the Men’s team or football team? For as dominant as the lady Griz were they are literally nowhere close to the standard that Robin built. They are a bad team, and have been since Robin left. I know Rob never cut players, but that’s not the reality of college athletics today. The Lady Griz recruited some really bad players. Let them go and be successful at their appropriate level. This is a business. A what can you do for me now business. I know the Lady Griz were shielded from these unfortunate realities for a long time...but it’s honestly baffling how Lady Griz fans have become so complacent with a substandard product. If the production were the same for football or men’s basketball, people would be calling for heads to roll

I disagree. The LG didn't recruit a lot of bad players, in my view. It was more that they lost too many good players, either due to transfer or injury.

Also, LG basketball is not a business. It just isn't. Ask Bodnar.I can't imagine he sees it as a business. UM is not win at all cost either. Some people already did call for Shannon to be moved on.

helenaumfan said:

There are multiple people on the board who would have hired Petrino, and believe the cuts were too harsh.I have said various good things about the new coach. The deep cuts were a massacre. Some on the board are just mad that I called that accurately.

PeauxRouge said:
PlayerRep said:

He made a difficult decision. That's what you want in a leader.

I don't want a leader who makes difficult decisions. I want a leader who makes the right decisions, and who leads by inclusion and with good communication. In sports, I want a leader who is good to his players and staff and is fair.

PlayerRep said:
LittleBear said:

I disagree. The LG didn't recruit a lot of bad players, in my view. It was more that they lost too many good players, either due to transfer or injury.

Also, LG basketball is not a business. It just isn't. Ask Bodnar.I can't imagine he sees it as a business. UM is not win at all cost either. Some people already did call for Shannon to be moved on.
You are just delusional at this point. I get it, you knew a player personally. It’s good she got a shot to play D1 ball, but once again, probably shouldn’t have been here in the first place, as is the same for many other players who were recruited simply for Montana ties. You should always recruit the player, not the location. How many successful D-1 basketball teams have near entire rosters with only 1 division offer? This is why I like the way TDC and Cobb have recruited.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

You are just delusional at this point. I get it, you knew a player personally. It’s good she got a shot to play D1 ball, but once again, probably shouldn’t have been here in the first place, as is the same for many other players who were recruited simply for Montana ties. You should always recruit the player, not the location. How many successful D-1 basketball teams have near entire rosters with only 1 division offer? This is why I like the way TDC and Cobb have recruited.

I am not delusional about anything. The new coach kept 2 frosh who had only a UM offer. Does the new German recruit have other D-I offers.

Show us some examples of a new women’s coach cutting half of the roster upon being hired. You are delusional if you think this happens often or is normal.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

I am not delusional about anything. The new coach kept 2 frosh who had only a UM offer. Does the new German recruit have other D-I offers.

Show us some examples of a new women’s coach cutting half of the roster upon being hired. You are delusional if you think this happens often or is normal.

Considering Holsinger said they were recruiting her at Oregon State, I’d say she likely had other D-1 offers, or at the very least had some on the way.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

Considering Holsinger said they were recruiting her at Oregon State, I’d say she likely had other D-1 offers, or at the very least had some on the way.

Feel free to call her offers to our attention.

PlayerRep said:
helenaumfan said:

There are multiple people on the board who would have hired Petrino, and believe the cuts were too harsh.I have said various good things about the new coach. The deep cuts were a massacre. Some on the board are just mad that I called that accurately.

3 of the Montana girls that were cut were most likely to never see the court. It could be argued that Jordan Schweyen is a boderline D1 player but in her two years playing, she never proved herself as capable as being at that level. Lauren Mills had no place on the roster so I would love to her the argument for her being cut. The one player I question is Bria Dixson but I trust the new coach who lived 100 miles away from her during high school career understands her ability to compete at this level.

Again, I believe we need to give Holsinger at least three years to run his program. If we are at the same point we are now, then we can judge.

Back