• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Emotional reaction to Lady Griz shakeup reflects abrupt end of an era, formula

PlayerRep

"So why all the social media angst over new Montana Lady Griz basketball coach Brian Holsinger’s decision to trim the five (a sixth left on her own), notably four Montanans?

It’s bad enough that Holsinger is an outsider at a school renowned for its legacy hires in the revenue triumvirate of football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball (his two years as Montana Tech head coach notwithstanding). To understand how reaching beyond the branches of the Griz coaching tree has resonated with the fickle faithful, see Bob Stitt, football, and Pat Kennedy, men’s basketball.

In choosing Holsinger, UM Athletic Director Kent Haslam invited the instant ire of the fan base’s provincial sector by passing on interim coach Michael Petrino, yet another sprig on the coaching tree.

What seems a heartless business decision by Holsinger has driven that point home with painful clarity.

Sure, the optics are awful. Holsinger will have an even shorter leash than fellow outsiders Kennedy and Stitt, if that’s possible. Some boos and empty seats at Dahlberg Arena come November won’t be a shock because those offended most are also those who’ve been most loyal."

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/jeff-welsch-emotional-reaction-to-lady-griz-shakeup-reflects-abrupt-end-of-an-era-formula/article_6e584507-b9e7-5a63-a1ae-e6a1a886a471.html

Impressive number of complaint threads. We get it, cancel your season tickets and stop complaining. Nobody will care.

UMFan12 said:
Impressive number of complaint threads. We get it, cancel your season tickets and stop complaining. Nobody will care.

Hey, look at the article. I didn't write it. Your posts are divorced from reality.

The below blurb from the article is also relevant as well. As amazing at it would be to see the Lady Griz rise back to prominence with mostly Montana players, I just don’t think it’ll happen. I’d love to be wrong though!

It’s long been a quaint provincial notion that the Montana and MSU football and basketball teams can and should win the Big Sky Conference with homegrown talent as anchors, but that’s no longer realistic. The Lady Griz did it when their sport was a novelty and/or an afterthought.

Those days are gone and aren’t coming back.

"But Holsinger is paid to win, and if he thought he could do so with those five players they’d still be Lady Griz."

I think the continued focus on where the girls are from is arbitrary, it seems decisions have little to do with where they were born and more to do with their basketball skills. You can turn anything into a issue depending on what side of the situation you are sitting. You see it one way based on where you are sitting (stands) and the coaches, who are paid for this job see it another way. The fact is, the current coaching staff didn't believe these girls were good enough to help them win games. Ultimately, right or wrong, in todays college athletics that is what coaches are paid to do, win.

In life, the louder you yell, eventually the less others listen. Time will tell, why don't you let it do its job.

More quotes from the Welch article:

"Though it was increasingly clear even in the final years of Selvig's reign and more so in Schweyen's four-year tenure that the Montana-centric model was no longer viable-due largely to a meteoric talent rise and proliferation in women's basketball--Lady Griz faithful clung nostalgically like a Ludite cradling a rotary phone or tapping a Royal typewriter."

"Binford hears her share of muttering for the scarcity of Treasure Staters, but nothing muffles dissent like winning with good people whether they're from Montana or Monrovia."

"A new coach means new staff. And new ideas. And new players".

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
The below blurb from the article is also relevant as well. As amazing at it would be to see the Lady Griz rise back to prominence with mostly Montana players, I just don’t think it’ll happen. I’d love to be wrong though!

It’s long been a quaint provincial notion that the Montana and MSU football and basketball teams can and should win the Big Sky Conference with homegrown talent as anchors, but that’s no longer realistic. The Lady Griz did it when their sport was a novelty and/or an afterthought.

Those days are gone and aren’t coming back.

As I said, it's pretty much of an end The House That Rob Built.

PlayerRep said:
"So why all the social media angst over new Montana Lady Griz basketball coach Brian Holsinger’s decision to trim the five (a sixth left on her own), notably four Montanans?

It’s bad enough that Holsinger is an outsider at a school renowned for its legacy hires in the revenue triumvirate of football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball (his two years as Montana Tech head coach notwithstanding). To understand how reaching beyond the branches of the Griz coaching tree has resonated with the fickle faithful, see Bob Stitt, football, and Pat Kennedy, men’s basketball.

In choosing Holsinger, UM Athletic Director Kent Haslam invited the instant ire of the fan base’s provincial sector by passing on interim coach Michael Petrino, yet another sprig on the coaching tree.

What seems a heartless business decision by Holsinger has driven that point home with painful clarity.

Sure, the optics are awful. Holsinger will have an even shorter leash than fellow outsiders Kennedy and Stitt, if that’s possible. Some boos and empty seats at Dahlberg Arena come November won’t be a shock because those offended most are also those who’ve been most loyal."

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/jeff-welsch-emotional-reaction-to-lady-griz-shakeup-reflects-abrupt-end-of-an-era-formula/article_6e584507-b9e7-5a63-a1ae-e6a1a886a471.html

PR: You cherry picked quotes from the article to bolster your view. But, when reading the article in it's entirely, it is clear that Welsch has the opposite opinion. Nice try, tho.

maroonandsilver said:
PlayerRep said:

PR: You cherry picked quotes from the article to bolster your view. But, when reading the article in it's entirely, it is clear that Weltch has the opposite opinion. Nice try, tho.

I didn't cherry pick quotes. I just provided what I wanted to provide. I linked the article. Everyone is free to read it and quote what they want. If you have a gripe with the quotes, contact the Welsch. I didn't write it.

Welsch has the opposite opinion of what? I didn't; make any comments in my OP; I just quoted the article.

Why is the new coach hiding from the press?

I don't have a problem with what's going on with the Lady Griz. Unfortunately, they just haven't been good for the last several years and some hard decisions need to be made. Having a winning team with a roster full of Montana kids would be fantastic, but I'm not sure that's realistic right now. Rob did unbelievable things while he was there, but there's a new sheriff in town, for like a better phrase, and we need to see what he can do. I for one would rather see a winning Lady Griz team with a few Montana kids versus a losing team full of Montana kids. Nothing against girls basketball in Montana of course, but it's obvious we are going to have to stretch our recruiting bounds.

Generally, young student athletes raised in Montana are quality recruits that a coach over time is able to develop into an important part of a team effort. We have seen that repeatedly with Bobby Hauck and we saw that time after time over the years with coach Selvig. He recognized the special attributes Montana youngsters possess and built championship teams with them as his foundation.

Spanky2 said:
Generally, young student athletes raised in Montana are quality recruits that a coach over time is able to develop into an important part of a team effort. We have seen that repeatedly with Bobby Hauck and we saw that time after time over the years with coach Selvig. He recognized the special attributes Montana youngsters possess and built championship teams with them as his foundation.

And there is nothing that suggests that Holsinger won't try to use Montana girls as the foundation of his teams.

PlayerRep said:

How do you know that?

My question would be why isn't the press interviewing him on a regular basis? I mean I have heard nothing from the TV sports reporters or the newspaper reporters. The lack of reporting seems pretty weird to me. I think if he wasn't cooperating with the press they would make that public knowledge.

It would be interesting to know his thoughts on how he feels the job is going so far in relation to his expectations, how is recruiting coming along, how has his reception been in Missoula, when does he feel he will complete his staff, what are his first year expectations, etc, etc.

Griz1 said:
PlayerRep said:

How do you know that?

My question would be why isn't the press interviewing him on a regular basis? I mean I have heard nothing from the TV sports reporters or the newspaper reporters. The lack of reporting seems pretty weird to me. I think if he wasn't cooperating with the press they would make that public knowledge.

It would be interesting to know his thoughts on how he feels the job is going so far in relation to his expectations, how is recruiting coming along, how has his reception been in Missoula, when does he feel he will complete his staff, what are his first year expectations, etc, etc.

Someone from the press told me that. The press has tried to interview him a number of times. He keeps putting them off. He keep saying next week.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
I didn't cherry pick quotes. I just provided what I wanted to provide.

Isn't one of these the definition of the other?

Nope, that's not what cherry-picking is. Cherry-picking has an element of exaggeration and can be misleading. Under your definition every quote from an article would be cherry-picking. Some of you should have gotten a better education.

Griz1 said:
PlayerRep said:

How do you know that?

I have heard from a sports media friend that Hilsigner probably is not going to hire a third assistant, with the money saved used to increase the salary of his two. Also that Jace is being considered for the Director of Basketball Operations, which is a non-coaching position.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Isn't one of these the definition of the other?

Nope, that's not what cherry-picking is. Cherry-picking has an element of exaggeration and can be misleading. Under your definition every quote from an article would be cherry-picking. Some of you should have gotten a better education.

The act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related and similar cases or data that may contradict that position. Cherry picking may be committed intentionally or unintentionally.

I sometimes question the value of some things I learned in school, but I never challenge the wisdom of learning never to use “gotten” in a sentence.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

The act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related and similar cases or data that may contradict that position. Cherry picking may be committed intentionally or unintentionally.

I wasn't trying to confirm a particular position. That's the point.

Back