• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Way too early but fun to look at

Griz til I die

DONOR
Joe Lunardi's latest bracket projection from late May is out for the 2022 tournament, and he's got the Griz as a 15 seed playing 2 seed Purdue. In his initial 2022 bracket projection from late April, he had Southern Utah in the field over the Griz. I wonder if the transfers we brought in made him change his mind. Of course, we're a long way away from the tournament, but I always enjoy looking at this over the summer to see how close he in his offseason projections.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

This has the Griz 5th in the Big Sky.

https://staringatthefloorboards.wordpress.com/2021/07/07/big-sky-2021-22-early-season-preview/

GrizBall said:

https://staringatthefloorboards.wordpress.com/2021/07/07/big-sky-2021-22-early-season-preview/
I'm still not buying the hype on UNC. His analysis of msu is interesting though as they will have a really old team. He's exactly right that they don't play defense and don't rebound. I really don't know what to make of the cats. I also hadn't realized Abdul Mohamed decided to come back, I thought I heard he wasn't gonna take the additional year. Overall, I'm expecting a very strong year for the conference. This could be the strongest the Big Sky has been top-to-bottom in a very long time.

GrizBall said:

This is a solid, balanced pre-season examination of the Big Sky from jorcubsdan. I agree with most that the Big Sky is loaded with veteran and solid incoming talent and all wins will be hard-earned.
So... I think a pre-season fifth place is a good spot to place a still-maturing Griz squad... high potential & within reach of the top tier, but with a whole lot to prove to both themselves and the rest of the conference.

grizzlyjournal said:
GrizBall said:

This is a solid, balanced pre-season examination of the Big Sky from jorcubsdan. I agree with most that the Big Sky is loaded with veteran and solid incoming talent and all wins will be hard-earned.
So... I think a pre-season fifth place is a good spot to place a still-maturing Griz squad... high potential & within reach of the top tier, but with a whole lot to prove to both themselves and the rest of the conference.

Agree. I hope they can reach that potential this year.

Griz til I die said:
GrizBall said:

I'm still not buying the hype on UNC. His analysis of msu is interesting though as they will have a really old team. He's exactly right that they don't play defense and don't rebound. I really don't know what to make of the cats. I also hadn't realized Abdul Mohamed decided to come back, I thought I heard he wasn't gonna take the additional year. Overall, I'm expecting a very strong year for the conference. This could be the strongest the Big Sky has been top-to-bottom in a very long time.
We weren't a great rebounding or defensive team but we weren't terrible. Right in the middle of the pack. Better offensive rebounding team than defensive which is odd and frustrating. But we only gave up about 5 more points a game than the Griz and I believe we had a better rebounding margin than you guys. Not that the Griz are the end all be all but this is egriz so the comparison seems legit.

What jumps out at me is this stat: Low 340's in three-point shots attempted.

Hello! Anybody heard of "The Three-Point Era?"

Yes, the Bucks just won an NBA championship. And they are not the best three-point shooting team.

But they had Giannis. As in Antetokounmpo.

We don't.

This to me is the major fault line in our program.

Any coach who sticks to the old-school idea that the three-point shot is a gimmick is consigned to failure in this modern era when kids can shoot from all over the court.

I hope DeCuire is not one of them. I hope his "my-way-or-the-highway" attitude does not prevail in this one critical respect.

But that first glaring stat says otherwise.

Here is another one that is based purely on analytics and it has the Griz 2nd. This appears due to the prediction that the Griz will have the best defense in the BSC based on Adjusted Defensive Efficiency and the spread between what they will score and give up is higher than any team other than SUU. The other interesting thing to me is that if you click on the team links it ranks the players on each team according to his formula (PRPG). According to Torvik, the top five Griz players for this year will be:

1. Owens
T2 - Beasley/Parker
4. - Whitney
5 - Vasquez

You can also compare players across the league. His formula says that Knight from SUU will be the best player in the League which I would tend to agree with.

https://barttorvik.com/?conlimit=BSky&state=All&year=2022&sort=

GrizBall said:
Here is another one that is based purely on analytics and it has the Griz 2nd. This appears due to the prediction that the Griz will have the best defense in the BSC based on Adjusted Defensive Efficiency and the spread between what they will score and give up is higher than any team other than SUU. The other interesting thing to me is that if you click on the team links it ranks the players on each team according to his formula (PRPG). According to Torvik, the top five Griz players for this year will be:

1. Owens
T2 - Beasley/Parker
4. - Whitney
5 - Vasquez

You can also compare players across the league. His formula says that Knight from SUU will be the best player in the League which I would tend to agree with.

How can Bannan be left out of all this.

fanofzoo said:
GrizBall said:

1. Owens
T2 - Beasley/Parker
4. - Whitney
5 - Vasquez

I have been on record as saying I believe Bannan has the biggest upside of any current Griz. I believe he can be a 13/8 guy next year, a match-up nightmare and be in consideration for an All-BSC team. But unfortunately the analytics are not on his side. So the projections for him start from a very low place.

First, out of all the major rotation players last year he had the worst +\- and the worst efficiency margin. This basically means that the Griz were outscored by a greater margin with him on the floor than any other Griz.

Second, he was 3rd on the team in turnovers behind Parker and Whitney (the team’s primary ball handlers). He had only 3 fewer than Parker and 2 fewer than Whitney.

Finally, Bannan also did not shoot very well. Out of the rotation players, his 3pt% was by far the worst and his FG% was amongst the worst.

And while his rebound numbers were very good it was not enough to overcome the above.

Again, I am super high on Bannan, but the projections for this year based on last year’s numbers will not be very good.

GrizBall said:
fanofzoo said:

I have been on record as saying I believe Bannan has the biggest upside of any current Griz. I believe he can be a 13/8 guy next year, a match-up nightmare and be in consideration for an All-BSC team. But unfortunately the analytics are not on his side. So the projections for him start from a very low place.

First, out of all the major rotation players last year he had the worst +\- and the worst efficiency margin. This basically means that the Griz were outscored by a greater margin with him on the floor than any other Griz.

Second, he was 3rd on the team in turnovers behind Parker and Whitney (the team’s primary ball handlers). He had only 3 fewer than Parker and 2 fewer than Whitney.

Finally, Bannan also did not shoot very well. Out of the rotation players, his 3pt% was by far the worst and his FG% was amongst the worst.

And while his rebound numbers were very good it was not enough to overcome the above.

Again, I am super high on Bannan, but the projections for this year based on last year’s numbers will not be very good.

Thanks

citay said:

Yes, the Bucks just won an NBA championship. And they are not the best three-point shooting team.

We don't.

Any coach who sticks to the old-school idea that the three-point shot is a gimmick is consigned to failure in this modern era when kids can shoot from all over the court.

I hope DeCuire is not one of them. I hope his "my-way-or-the-highway" attitude does not prevail in this one critical respect.

Profound comments and observations. Surprised no one has brought this up on E Griz before. :thumb:

Mousegriz said:
citay said:

We don't.

Profound comments and observations. Surprised no one has brought this up on E Griz before. :thumb:

LOL!

citay said:
Mousegriz said:

LOL!
You can live by the 3 point shot and you can die by it.

My feelings are that you take the best shot you can get. If you are getting layups, keep getting them. Sometimes the 3 is the best. There are certainly good 3s and bad 3s. I want my team to take uncontested 3s, while giving up only contested 3s. The worst shot in basketball now is the long, contested 2. the next worse is just a long 2. I believe that your coach just wants the best shot taken, and by the best player to take that shot.

We can debate last year’s performance until the cows come home but the reality is we were not a very good basketball team. Lots of reasons for this not the least of which was the defections early and mid season and a couple of injuries which seriously depleted our rebounding and may have contributed to our our 3 pt. shooting etc. etc. and so on. No one is more disappointed than Travis and his staff.
Our preseason ranking of 5th in the league by one pollster should be bulletin board material. If this doesn’t inspire this team to prove the critics wrong then there’s other issues that are not readily apparent. Based on what the prognosticators are saying the league appears to be pretty strong this year. Until the teams tie up their sneakers everyone 0-0. I think a 5 ranking is a little low but I think a 3 is more realistic. Having said that I do have faith in Travis.

GrizBall said:

1. Owens
T2 - Beasley/Parker
4. - Whitney
5 - Vasquez

THANKS for the link to T-Rank, GrizBall! Was not aware of this service. Well platted & easy to interpret and cross reference. Good stuff. :thumb:

If we want to succeed as a team we must play as a team and not as individuals, we will see!

GrizBall said:

1. Owens
T2 - Beasley/Parker
4. - Whitney
5 - Vasquez

I think a healthy DJ is going to be a huge contributor this year!

UncleRico said:
GrizBall said:

1. Owens
T2 - Beasley/Parker
4. - Whitney
5 - Vasquez

I hope our guards develop more of a "killer instinct".

UncleRico said:
GrizBall said:

1. Owens
T2 - Beasley/Parker
4. - Whitney
5 - Vasquez

He should be a big help on D and the boards on both ends.

Back