• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Commit Scotty Washington

grizfan1984

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-mens-hoops-adds-2021-wing-scotty-washington/article_a5053645-adb5-5eb7-a06d-09d0bc1571e3.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-mens-hoops-adds-2021-wing-scotty-washington/article_a5053645-adb5-5eb7-a06d-09d0bc1571e3.amp.html

I don’t know wtf is going on but this crap happened to a football recruit too. Announced him then a day later remove the post, after almost a month later the kids Instagram finally reveals he’s coming in but nothing else official from the University there is 3-4 guys in basketball the University hasn’t revealed and another handful in Football, come on Taber what’s going on?

grizfan1984 said:
I don’t know wtf is going on but this crap happened to a football recruit too. Announced him then a day later remove the post, after almost a month later the kids Instagram finally reveals he’s coming in but nothing else official from the University there is 3-4 guys in basketball the University hasn’t revealed and another handful in Football, come on Taber what’s going on?
Actually Nic Hallisy handles it for basketball.

If true, would be a pretty huge get. Washington had high major interest from a number of schools such as TCU.

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-mens-hoops-adds-2021-wing-scotty-washington/article_a22fb2d2-7301-5437-b605-4255d14a6a6e.html

I think it’s best just to wait to see who shows up when classes and fall workouts start. I can’t keep any of it straight on who is committed and who is not. Some may be real and some may not be. Very weird recruiting cycle for the Griz.

My pet peeve is citing offers or interest as an indication of how good a player is. Here are my first-hand experiences:

First, “interest” could be a phone call from the lowest level assistant or Director of Basketball Operations who has likely has made contact with 200-300 players or a form letter. When a player gets called by a reporter/analyst and asks who is interested in you, the player will list the highest level of schools that have sent him a form letter. The reporters never push back. It’s good for recruiting sites as well as generally no one wants to read about players with low-level offers and they can push articles to the school specific site for clicks.

Second, offers are non-verifiable. Meaning a school doesn’t put out a list of people it has given offers to. It is well known that AAU coaches and trainers float “offers” as a way to increase business and schools won’t make an issue of it because it’s not a big deal to them and they don’t want to create relationship issues with an AAU team or trainer that they will recruit from in the future. And in addition, verbal offers are not binding. Many players that thought they had offers tried to call and commit but weren’t allowed to. I saw a tweet a little while ago that thanked the Director of basketball Operations for giving him an offer. DOBOs aren’t the people that communicate true offers to players. This is now listed on Verbal Commits as an offer.

Always happy for the Griz to get talented players, but I have a very hard time believing we got two players that were basically still available in June that turned down offers from Florida State, Nevada, Mississippi St and Ole Miss in favor of Montana. Not saying it’s not possible, but very unlikely.

I’ll be happy when official visits return because that to me is the best way to determine true interest and offers, particularly at the level that the Griz recruit.

GrizBall said:
My pet peeve is citing offers or interest as an indication of how good a player is. Here are my first-hand experiences:

First, “interest” could be a phone call from the lowest level assistant or Director of Basketball Operations who has likely has made contact with 200-300 players or a form letter. When a player gets called by a reporter/analyst and asks who is interested in you, the player will list the highest level of schools that have sent him a form letter. The reporters never push back. It’s good for recruiting sites as well as generally no one wants to read about players with low-level offers and they can push articles to the school specific site for clicks.

Second, offers are non-verifiable. Meaning a school doesn’t put out a list of people it has given offers to. It is well known that AAU coaches and trainers float “offers” as a way to increase business and schools won’t make an issue of it because it’s not a big deal to them and they don’t want to create relationship issues with an AAU team or trainer that they will recruit from in the future. And in addition, verbal offers are not binding. Many players that thought they had offers tried to call and commit but weren’t allowed to. I saw a tweet a little while ago that thanked the Director of basketball Operations for giving him an offer. DOBOs aren’t the people that communicate true offers to players. This is now listed on Verbal Commits as an offer.

Always happy for the Griz to get talented players, but I have a very hard time believing we got two players that were basically still available in June that turned down offers from Florida State, Nevada, Mississippi St and Ole Miss in favor of Montana. Not saying it’s not possible, but very unlikely.

I’ll be happy when official visits return because that to me is the best way to determine true interest and offers, particularly at the level that the Griz recruit.

I have been told by coaches over the years, that they never offer nearly as many high school kids as show up on websites and the internet, or even in tweets. Not even close. So, I'm agreeing with your post.

PlayerRep said:
GrizBall said:

I have been told by coaches over the years, that they never offer nearly as many high school kids as show up on websites and the internet, or even in tweets. Not even close. So, I'm agreeing with your post.

Great points. It’s a fools errand and I’m someone that follows football recruiting fairly closely. There are a few kids that post interest or offers that aren’t real but they are trying to drum up interest. It has fooled a lot of people on this board even myself included from time to time.

He's being reported as a class of 2021 kid but Verbal and 247 list him as class of 2022.

Not sure what the confusion is. Maybe he reclassified like Wetzel did and is just being reported as a 2022 and decided after the fact to collect on one of his 2021 offers.

What a screwy recruiting year this is.

Grizfan-24 said:
He's being reported as a class of 2021 kid but Verbal and 247 list him as class of 2022.

Not sure what the confusion is. Maybe he reclassified like Wetzel did and is just being reported as a 2022 and decided after the fact to collect on one of his 2021 offers.

What a screwy recruiting year this is.

Also, has anyone seen his commitment tweet that was mentioned in the article? I can’t find it on his Twitter page. https://twitter.com/scottywashing12?s=21

I also can’t find any other tweet or social media announcement from anyone else (his trainer/AAU team that is constantly promoting players or his school).

I am not a great researcher, but generally I can find this type of stuff pretty easily.

So I messaged a couple of different people about Scotty Washington. They both said he re-classified as a class of 2022 a year ago and was committed to a prep year similar to the one that Wetzel went through last year because he lost a year to injury (shoulder).

Neither were sure if he was committing as a class of 2021 or 2022. One said that the verbal appeared to be a bit of left field considering the above and considering he had several scholarship offers for 2022 from TCU, CSU and a couple of others.

Rather peculiar situation considering his variable year and the utter dearth of information coming from him or other news outlets. So far the Missoulian is the only place to report his commitment, and Washington doesn't even have it on his own twitter feed.

Grizfan-24 said:
So I messaged a couple of different people about Scotty Washington. They both said he re-classified as a class of 2022 a year ago and was committed to a prep year similar to the one that Wetzel went through last year because he lost a year to injury (shoulder).

Neither were sure if he was committing as a class of 2021 or 2022. One said that the verbal appeared to be a bit of left field considering the above and considering he had several scholarship offers for 2022 from TCU, CSU and a couple of others.

Rather peculiar situation considering his variable year and the utter dearth of information coming from him or other news outlets. So far the Missoulian is the only place to report his commitment, and Washington doesn't even have it on his own twitter feed.

Thanks Grizfan-24. Very weird indeed. The article quoted a tweet from Washington that I can’t find (doesn’t mean it’s not out there somewhere). In my experience most committed athletes are super active on social media regarding the commitment. Also if reclassifying and going prep, seems weird to commit to Montana before prep school if “higher”offers are already out there and you have the ability to improve your stock at a prep school and get even “better” offers.

Grizfan-24 said:

I give up, will read the rooster come sept. if it's ready, any bets on it being out then ?

fanofzoo said:
Grizfan-24 said:

I give up, will read the rooster come sept. if it's ready, any bets on it being out then ?

If recent history continues, the roster will remain fluid throughout the season.

fanofzoo said:
Grizfan-24 said:

Hi Tim –

Thanks for the email and your interest in Griz Hoops! It’s an exciting time for the program with some key pieces coming back, in addition to some newcomers, some of whom you mentioned below.

Unfortunately, as you may be aware, the NCAA is pretty strict about when the athletics department/coaches can publicize or talk about recruits. We are unable to talk about specific players, or add them to our rosters, until they official sign a National Letter of Intent, or in the case of the walk-ons, are admitted and enrolled at the University. A lot of times student-athletes will ‘announce’ their intention on social media, and while it may be 90% official, we aren’t able to post anything until it’s fully cleared by our compliance office and the NCAA.

That’s why you’ll likely see a gap between when someone announces something and when we can promote it. Hopefully in the coming weeks we’ll be able to add more players to the roster and start giving them the recognition they deserve.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Got this from Nic Hallisey yesterday. He's the Director of Communications for men's bball, volleyball and t&f. I asked about Lopez, Solomon, Wetzel and Kreigmont's absence from the roster. Given what's happened with Lopez, makes sense to me. Frustrating for fans, but ostensibly largely out of the University's hands...

Tim

Back