• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Oscar Lopez

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP3uyy9r5a6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
"Through all the bullshit I've been through" wonder what happened???

Something is up here. I don't think the program moves on from Oscar (considering the relationship they had) unless there is something significant. Just really odd way for this to play out.

fanofzoo said:
Grizfan-24 said:
I'd guess. Otherwise I don't think he ends up at the SLCC. That is just a hunch though.

Hard to believe they don't check more carefully on that, if true.

Sometimes a recruit has to improve board scores (or grades?) or take a particular course, before admission. Also, occasionally, something can be overlooked in the process.

In the past, there was a combination minimum requirements of gpa and board scores, and a handful of subjects had to have been taken. With the pandemic and some schools dropping boards completely, I don't know where the ncaa rules are now on board score requirements.

PlayerRep said:
fanofzoo said:
Hard to believe they don't check more carefully on that, if true.

Sometimes a recruit has to improve board scores (or grades?) or take a particular course, before admission. Also, occasionally, something can be overlooked in the process.

In the past, there was a combination minimum requirements of gpa and board scores, and a handful of subjects had to have been taken. With the pandemic and some schools dropping boards completely, I don't know where the ncaa rules are now on board score requirements.

Once an athlete has been cleared by NCAA, board scores are not an issue. Lopez had already been cleared because he played for DePaul. Board scores are a big deal for incoming freshman, because as you said there is a sliding board score/Core class GPA/16 core classes completed that an athlete needs to be cleared initially by the NCAA.

With D-1 transfers basically they just have to be admitted to the new school and be eligible academically to play. Unless he just totally screwed up last semester, it seems like he would have been admitted to UM. His grades didn't prevent him from participating last semester for DePaul so we know he was at least eligible at that point, but that also wouldn't have taken his 2nd semester grades in consideration because his 2nd semester grades could only make him ineligible for next semester (Fall 2021).

Another factor is that schools academic calendars are all different, so there is a chance when UM signed him, his 2nd semester grades hadn't been completed. So my guess is that he did poorly his 2nd semester which would have made him ineligible, which would also explain why no other school picked him up.

GrizBall said:
PlayerRep said:

Once an athlete has been cleared by NCAA, board scores are not an issue. Lopez had already been cleared because he played for DePaul. Board scores are a big deal for incoming freshman, because as you said there is a sliding board score/Core class GPA/16 core classes completed that an athlete needs to be cleared initially by the NCAA.

With D-1 transfers basically they just have to be admitted to the new school and be eligible academically to play. Unless he just totally screwed up last semester, it seems like he would have been admitted to UM. His grades didn't prevent him from participating last semester for DePaul so we know he was at least eligible at that point, but that also wouldn't have taken his 2nd semester grades in consideration because his 2nd semester grades could only make him ineligible for next semester (Fall 2021).

Another factor is that schools academic calendars are all different, so there is a chance when UM signed him, his 2nd semester grades hadn't been completed. So my guess is that he did poorly his 2nd semester which would have made him ineligible, which would also explain why no other school picked him up.

Yup. The are two pathways that NCAA athletes need to meet to be eligible continually after being admitted.

The first is graduation progress and the expectations increase as they move along in school. That includes GPA.

The second is a bit more short term, which is they are required generally to meet school credit attainment policies (ie pass full time amount of credits, and be in good standing (2.0 GPA).

NCAA compliance is required to ensure students are on progress and have met each terms requirements. The office can't know that until Lopez's transcripts made its way to Missoula. Very possible Lopez didn't fully understand what was necessary in either regard when he left DePaul. My experience is that most don't.

Grizfan-24 said:
GrizBall said:

Yup. The are two pathways that NCAA athletes need to meet to be eligible continually after being admitted.

The first is graduation progress and the expectations increase as they move along in school. That includes GPA.

The second is a bit more short term, which is they are required generally to meet school credit attainment policies (ie pass full time amount of credits, and be in good standing (2.0 GPA).

NCAA compliance is required to ensure students are on progress and have met each terms requirements. The office can't know that until Lopez's transcripts made its way to Missoula. Very possible Lopez didn't fully understand what was necessary in either regard when he left DePaul. My experience is that most don't.

If he is that shaky grade-wise, we might be better off without him. For me, having to constantly baby-sit these players every semester (and summer school) to hope that they perform well-enough to stay eligible is a losing proposition. Coaches can't count-on these kids as they attempt to build their rotations for the season.

How in the world does UM get tangled up with so many wishy/washy guys? Are they committing before they really know what they are getting into, or are they just of questionable reliability? It just seems like it is too many.

oldrunner said:
How in the world does UM get tangled up with so many wishy/washy guys? Are they committing before they really know what they are getting into, or are they just of questionable reliability? It just seems like it is too many.

I’m not sure its more or less than in previous years, but the apparent increase could be driven by this generation’s need to put every aspect of their lives on display on social media, so it’s more “in our face” than in years past.

oldrunner said:

Weber gets their highly touted guys to the court......then mini me coaches them up and they fold.

Mousegriz said:
oldrunner said:

Weber gets their highly touted guys to the court......then mini me coaches them up and they fold.

Even though Montana has had some bad luck with a few recruits lately, they have had far more players who stayed for 4 years than Weber has....seems like Rahe runs off more players than any other program in the BSC.....

sacstateman said:
Mousegriz said:

Even though Montana has had some bad luck with a few recruits lately, they have had far more players who stayed for 4 years than Weber has....seems like Rahe runs off more players than any other program in the BSC.....
That is true. Over the last few years we have had a good number either choose to leave or asked to leave. However, those changes have not happend in the season or after both they and the coaches have decided that they are coming back. We have even had a couple of guys stay with the team, and practice, for a full season until they, and the coaches could find them a suitable school to continue their education and eligibility. I don't remember a player leaving because of the coaching or program. It has been mostly about playing time. I think that we should all embrace the transfer process. It isn't going to change any time soon. IMHO

AZGrizFan said:
oldrunner said:

I’m not sure its more or less than in previous years, but the apparent increase could be driven by this generation’s need to put every aspect of their lives on display on social media, so it’s more “in our face” than in years past.
But, wouldn't that apply to other schools, as well? Old Runner is a Weber St fan and good one. If he sees a problem, so do others. Something is happening in Missoula.

GrizLA said:
AZGrizFan said:
But, wouldn't that apply to other schools, as well? Old Runner is a Weber St fan and good one. If he sees a problem, so do others. Something is happening in Missoula.

Old Runner and one other guy have posted on the Weber board since late June. He's bored and bummed out they're stuck with "mini me" as a coach. .

Mousegriz said:
GrizLA said:

Old Runner and one other guy have posted on the Weber board since late June. He's bored and bummed out they're stuck with "mini me" as a coach. .
There is certainly some truth to that, Mouse. I am bored, just waiting for BB and FB to get going. I do feel that it is unfortunate that players have left UM, mid season. Frankly, I like your coaching staff. They are hard core, old school, disiplinarian type guys and players that will stick with them will be better for it. The transfer portal has changed the game and with it the coaching. It has had as much impact as the 3 point line and the shot clock. No coach is perfect, but the good ones stay true to themselves. :geek:

Back