• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The All-Weather, All-Citay Name Team

citygriz

No matter this board is filled with a ton of knowledgeable basketball people, there are two of us on this board who understand the power that resides in a name. On our team, we don't care if you can't shoot or play defense or are on the verge of flunking of out your course in ukulele. We alone understand the power of a name to evoke grandeur or power or geographical significance. The power to define a brand and raise your profile beyond the game of basketball. Here goes, drawing from current players or current and prospective recruits.

Freddy Brown: A fairly ordinary name until you put "Downtown" in front. Bingo! One of the great names in the history of the sport of basketball. Freddy hasn't played much these past three years and may care more about academics than basketball. We don't care! He's #1 on our team.

Johnny Braggs: Does he? Probably not. Probably too modest. But if he's as good as I think he his, he'll have every right to--and a guaranteed spot on this team.

John Solomon: Do you realize we have a direct descendant of Jedidiah Solomon, the fabulously wealthy and wise King of the United Kingdom of Israel, 970-931 B.C.? (If you don't believe it, go to Ancestry.com.) So take your free throws and shoot them where the sun don't shine. We've got Royalty, Wealth and Wisdom, and that's what counts on this team.

Rhett (Butler; Burt) Reynolds: This name is full of star-power. In fact, when Montana State tried to recruit him, he said: "Frankly, Cats, I don't give a damn." You can look it up.

Keith Higgins: The Huffington Post named Missoula one of the "20 cities to visit if you're in your 20's," right up there with Seattle, Denver and New Orleans. So why not a player whose surname matches the Main Street in Missoula? No matter neither he nor or his parents could care less. He's on our team.

Jordan Pope: You might think this is a reference to one of our all-time greats, Derrick Pope. Nope. We're ascending to a higher spiritual level here, we're goin' THE Pope. How many games can you lose when you have The Pope on your side?

Duke Brennan: "Duke", a name that invokes power. The Duke: John Wayne. Just plain Duke, the basketball powerhouse. Imagine: We're playing in the Final Four. It happens to be in New Orleans. I'm sitting in my favorite restaurant there, Brennan's, eating my Oysters Rockefeller, when in comes the Griz for their pre-game dinner, and there is 6'9" Duke Brennan, leading the troupe. Can't you just see it? No? No matter. He's on our team.

Vazoumana "Zoom" Diallo: No explanation needed. End of conversation.

I can't wait for your insightful NBA Curry cooking-show food name post. :clap:

citay said:
No matter this board is filled with a ton of knowledgeable basketball people, there are two of us on this board who understand the power that resides in a name.

Can probably give up any hope you have of Duke Brennan ever being a Griz. He’s already 6’10, 260lbs in high school and is racking up P5 offers. Also believe Keith Higgins is headed to Lehigh.

I think Solomon perhaps has lived like royalty. His stepdad Bobby Bonilla still receives that cool $2 million check each year from the Mets for basically the rest of his life. Still one of the craziest contract buyouts in history.

Proud Griz Man said:
I can't wait for your insightful NBA Curry cooking-show food name post. :clap:

citay said:
No matter this board is filled with a ton of knowledgeable basketball people, there are two of us on this board who understand the power that resides in a name.

:lol:

Back