• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Boise State to Big Sky for BB and athletics?

captain jazz

There's been a fair bit of noise in recent months of Boise State wanting to join AAC for football only.

But the issue is where do they dump their bball and athletics? MWC won't have them. Not holy/private enough for WCC. Not on the bus route with WCC. So does that leave Big Sky as the next best option?

They could renew their in-state rivalry with Idaho, as well as old conference chums Montana and Montana State. And they could slot into the place left open by SUU's departure.

On the back of a shiny new ESPN deal, I think it's a good move, and would bring the conference bball rankings up a few notches.

side note: This is complete speculation and conjecture (and has been brought up in the odd reddit posts). But that's what these forums are for, right?

Speculate away!

I’ll go ahead and speculate.

It’ll be a cold day in hell before BSU comes crawling back to the BSC for ANYTHING.

AZGrizFan said:
I’ll go ahead and speculate.

It’ll be a cold day in hell before BSU comes crawling back to the BSC for ANYTHING.

You are 100% correct. There is no chance that that will ever happen.

captain jazz said:
tough crowd.

For the sake of discussion, can I ask why it will never happen?

I believe after the Griz beat Boise State the last time they played, the Boise State coach said he would never come back here again. Therefore, to avoid ever coming back here again, they would have to never join the Big Sky Conference again.

To answer your question why it would never happen you should visit Boise. The town has a half dozen NYSE or NASDAQ companies headquartered there and money talks. Look at all of their facilities. They think they are a Power Five school and that is the prevailing attitude of the entire athletic department and the town. They are looking to move up and not down. The money coming in from ESPN for the Big Sky Conference is nothing to them and pales in comparison to the CBSSN contract with the Mountain West. Boise State has unbelievable leverage with the conference and a few years ago bullied them into foregoing a penalty of a few million dollars that the conference was going to assess them. (I don't remember the exact details of the settlement but it hinged on BSU remaining in the conference and had something to do with TV revenues and their allocation.) That is why I say in my opinion there is no chance.

and to answer your question, sure, it's a good deal for the BSC, but there's no way on God's green earth BSU wants to become the "flagship" of this shitshow.

captain jazz said:
tough crowd.

Tough crowd? Heh heh. Just take it like all newbies trying to discuss anything related to athletics. You're on their radar now.

Griz1 said:
To answer your question why it would never happen you should visit Boise. The town has a half dozen NYSE or NASDAQ companies headquartered there and money talks. Look at all of their facilities. They think they are a Power Five school and that is the prevailing attitude of the entire athletic department and the town. They are looking to move up and not down. The money coming in from ESPN for the Big Sky Conference is nothing to them and pales in comparison to the CBSSN contract with the Mountain West. Boise State has unbelievable leverage with the conference and a few years ago bullied them into foregoing a penalty of a few million dollars that the conference was going to assess them. (I don't remember the exact details of the settlement but it hinged on BSU remaining in the conference and had something to do with TV revenues and their allocation.) That is why I say in my opinion there is no chance.

I agree. The corporate money, and the deep pockets of the Mormon church want to elevate that university to national status, not bring it down to our level.

hunt-ducks said:
captain jazz said:
tough crowd.

Tough crowd? Heh heh. Just take it like all newbies trying to discuss anything related to athletics. You're on their radar now.

Thanks Karen. He’s not on anybody’s radar.

hunt-ducks said:
Griz1 said:

I agree. The corporate money, and the deep pockets of the Mormon church want to elevate that university to national status, not bring it down to our level.

LDS members make up 15% of the population of Boise. Again, you don’t know what you’re talking about but at least you’re consistent.

AZGrizFan said:
hunt-ducks said:

Feels good for a lowly bottom feeder to be on the radar of the big fish!

So what's more likely to happen?

1. Boise athletics joins Big Sky
2. Montana joins the MWC
3. Montana joins the WAC
4. Zombie apocalypse (caused by a deadly cocktail of 5G and Covid vaccines)

Serious answers only.

captain jazz said:
AZGrizFan said:

2. Montana joins the MWC
3. Montana joins the WAC

Serious answers only.

I don't think any of those things are likely to happen.

captain jazz said:
AZGrizFan said:

2. Montana joins the MWC
3. Montana joins the WAC

Serious answers only.

D. None of the above!

captain jazz said:
AZGrizFan said:

2. Montana joins the MWC
3. Montana joins the WAC

Serious answers only.

Stevie Dill?
How many personas are you going to make up this week

c'mon man

Bear Axed said:
captain jazz said:

2. Montana joins the MWC
3. Montana joins the WAC

Serious answers only.

Stevie Dill?

c'mon man

I don't know who you're talking about. But maybe have a look at my account to see I've been a member for a number of years, and I was a member for a number of years before that until my account got hacked so I made a new one.

Anyhoo, no need to take everything so seriously (I was actually joking about the serious answers only :roll: ). I was just having a laugh and trying to put some life in this forum.

captain jazz said:
Bear Axed said:
Stevie Dill?

c'mon man

I don't know who you're talking about. But maybe have a look at my account to see I've been a member for a number of years, and I was a member for a number of years before that until my account got hacked so I made a new one.

Anyhoo, no need to take everything so seriously (I was actually joking about the serious answers only :roll: ). I was just having a laugh and trying to put some life in this forum.

Yeah, Ok, Sure

Stevie Dill never has any Idea Who AltGriz, Wolfman or the plethora of other monikers he's posted under were....

carry-on ... that's the usual M.O.

AmIRight? :thumb:

Bear Axed said:
captain jazz said:

Yeah, Ok, Sure

Stevie Dill never has any Idea Who AltGriz, Wolfman or the plethora of other monikers he's posted under were....

Mate, who are you talking about? I No wonder new people don't post on this forum, there's nutjobs like you on it who accuse you over being someone they're obsessed with.

You might need to loosen your tinfoil hat a little buddy.

captain jazz said:
Bear Axed said:
Yeah, Ok, Sure

Mate, who are you talking about? I No wonder new people don't post on this forum, there's nutjobs like you on it who accuse you over being someone they're obsessed with.

You might need to loosen your tinfoil hat a little buddy.
(you) stevie dill, need a new shtick, how many monikers are you going to use that same empty denial on?

(You) have never failed to reveal xactly what and who you are

Congratulations AGAIN, cupcake

Back