• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Trinkets in the Wreckage

citygriz

--DCH: My preseason wish was that he make a big comeback this year. Tonight he looked capable of that. His hops and athleticism stand out on this team. He was the only physical match we had for their athleticism.
--We scored 33 points the second half. We were not accustomed to seeing athletes like this but we did adjust and did look better in the second half--33 points v. 16 in the first half.
--We will not run into many teams that shoot better than they did tonight. In fact, I haven't seen many pro teams shoot that well. In many cases our defense was fine. Simply: Great offense beat good defense.
--Our kids never gave up. No quit in this team.
--LIfe will kick you in the butt. It did us tonight. I hope our kids take lessons from this. One of which is, it's not what happens to you, it's how you respond. Failure is really halfway to success---it shows you what you need to do. Most of all, I believe, our kids need to be way more aggressive on offense. Take open shots when they're there. Take it to the hole with abandon. If you get it near the basket, dunk the damned ball! They play great defense but seem tight on offense, as if they're afraid to make mistakes.
--All in all, a debacle. But I believe we can move on from it. It's one game in a long season. And I believe it will turn out that Mississippi State is one of the elite teams in the country.

A few things from this game.

1. This team needs to commit to getting Vazquez no less than 6 3pt attempts per game. The kid is a pure shooter. We just don't utilize it well.

2. Carter Hollinger is the only Griz that can compete consistently athletically against power 5 teams.

3. Collectively, we need to improve shooting the 3. It's the equalizer against top 40 teams. Seriously, get the broom sticks out, have players shoot over extended broom sticks. No less than 100 reps a day per player.

4. Got to get stronger inside.

5. Defense played solid against Mississippi State. Unfortunately, they hit a lot of contested shots.

6. Experiment with a bigger lineup. We have some very versatile 6'4" to 6'9" guys. Carter Hollinger, Owens, and Martin can play guard. If needed, Martin can initiate the offense..

6. Clear out the lane more for our small quick guards. Whitney, Beasley, and Parker are all quick ball handlers. Unfortunately, the paint is often too crowded when they drive.

At least the GRIZ know what they need to work on. No doubt, Travis will get the most from the team. Let's hope, they put this game behind them asap.

Two really good write ups here. It was an ass kicking for sure. Man up and move on. DHC is back and I agree both him and Vasquez need more minutes.

Rule,
Are you talking about last years team, remember they fixed all that over the summer, experienced , mature, rebound and can shoot...... remember

fanofzoo said:
Rule,
Are you talking about last years team, remember they fixed all that over the summer, experienced , mature, rebound and can shoot...... remember
In my opinion evaluating the maturity of this team will be how they respond to this loss more than loss itself. If the Griz shoot like that and the opponent lights it up against Big Sky talent it’s a 15-20 point loss. Against a loaded SEC team it’s 40. That team is very very good.

Back