• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

End of 3rd Q and Lady Griz holding their own

GrizBaba

Gonzaga is a good team; they're up 56 - 47 at end of 3rd.

Lady Griz have made a couple runs to come within 6 or 7.

That was a very solid showing by the Lady Griz. Gonzaga may be a little down this year, but they’re still full of talent and Fortier is a superb coach. Gfeller, Stiles, and Fatkin looked really good. Had the Lady Griz been able to hit a few threes they may have pulled off the upset.

The Zags blew out Montana State a few days ago. MSU also got destroyed by UNLV last night.

Gonzaga wins 67 - 60. Much closer than I ever expected. Need to raise my expectations for this group!

The charge call on Tsineke looked bogus to me - the replays show the defender moving in front of her while she was in the air. No idea why the refs didn't see after spending several minutes reviewing.

Overall, the team has progressed by leaps and bounds since the start of the year! There are some things they could do better, but we'll see what gets implemented for the next game. Gfeller is going to be an all-leaguer by the way she plays and handles herself.

OregonStateFan said:
That was a very solid showing by the Lady Griz. Gonzaga may be a little down this year, but they’re still full of talent and Fortier is a superb coach. Gfeller, Stiles, and Fatkin looked really good. Had the Lady Griz been able to hit a few threes they may have pulled off the upset.

The Zags blew out Montana State a few days ago. MSU also got destroyed by UNLV last night.

I really like your astute observations and contributions! Thanks for taking the time to watch :)

HookedonGriz said:
Hanging with the zags was a win in and of itself. They blew out MSU badly. This is a great sign.

Looks good for Lady Griz. MSU lost by 25 to Gonzaga and then traveled to UNLV and lost by 38. Looking tough for the Bobcats.

If Lady Griz could just shoot better from the 3 point line. 1 for 10 today. Only 11 turnovers which is a pretty good improvement from the last game.

There were 3-4 plays mid-fourth quarter (including the questionable charge on Tsineke) that stymied the Griz, who had gotten within 5. That's hoops. ;) I thought the refs called a fair and objective game throughout. This was a solid outing by Montana & it's sort of funny, but I think the team was putting a bit too much pressure on themselves at times.... possibly because of a very raucous crowd, and especially because of the noise at the end of the 3rd quarter, when Tsineke didn't hear Holsinger call out to hold back and re-set the offense for a last-second shot. The odd sequence resulted in an 8-point end-of-quarter Gonzaga lead instead of 5 (or less).

Gonzaga has a huge & deep combo front court & part of the game difference was a 12-rebound Zags advantage at 42-30. However... the most significant positive sign to me regarding Montana's play versus Gonzaga is that they batttled a much larger front court to a standoff and were actually more efficient with in--paint offense: Montana netted a 34-30 advantage on points in the paint. Overall, Griz out-shot Zags from the field (42.6% to 41%)... the difference being 5 more points for the Zags than Montana beyond the arc. Lastly: Montana's guards are taking care of the ball pretty well for so early in the season; the Griz had 3 fewer turnovers than the Zags (11-14).

Truly a solid outing by a Montana team getting adjusted to an entirely new style of play. Kudos to Katrina Tsineke for coming in as an outsider and running things at point very capably. Also, the return of Sammy Fatkin is looming huge. I had a feeling today that she's on the verge of a major breakout as a difference-maker (she came a split-second from a breakaway steal & layup with about 2 minutes remaining that could have swung the game). Sophia Stiles had her usual all-out grinder of a game, but was literally beaming at the very loud roar of appreciation after she got her 5th foul. Carmen Gfeller is one tough power forward and really battled against much taller Zags opponents; she took a hard, hard elbow to the bridge of her nose midway through the second half, but was back battling after a minute or two on the bench. Abby Anderson collected two early fouls, and had to sit on the bench for most of the first half & struggled at times battling 4 taller opponents. Kylie Frohlich played a very solid 7-8 minutes & flashed some potential on offense with a hi-post dagger that loosened up the Zag 2nd half matchup Z a bit. Morris-Nelson and Bartsch both had solid rotations on the floor; I think Dani is going to be a difference maker sooner rather than later. Kyndal Keller played a solid 6 minutes of hard-nosed defensive focus.

Montana's next four games are on the road & I think they have a chance at winning three. A huge bummer to me is that (apparently) three of the games will NOT be streamed.

So... the loss to Gonzaga might pay dividends in the realization by these players that the Griz can indeed compete vs. power-ranked teams. Gonzaga is at 18 in the College Insider Poll and just out of the top 25 in the AP and USA Today Polls. The poll I follow most -- The NCAA Women's BAsketball Net Rankings, has Gonzaga ranked 17th. Now we get to see how they play on the road. Go GrizWBB.

grizzlyjournal said:
There were 3-4 plays mid-fourth quarter (including the questionable charge on Tsineke) that stymied the Griz, who had gotten within 5. That's hoops. ;) I thought the refs called a fair and objective game throughout. This was a solid outing by Montana & it's sort of funny, but I think the team was putting a bit too much pressure on themselves at times.... possibly because of a very raucous crowd, and especially because of the noise at the end of the 3rd quarter, when Tsineke didn't hear Holsinger call out to hold back and re-set the offense for a last-second shot. The odd sequence resulted in an 8-point end-of-quarter Gonzaga lead instead of 5 (or less).

Gonzaga has a huge & deep combo front court & part of the game difference was a 12-rebound Zags advantage at 42-30. However... the most significant positive sign to me regarding Montana's play versus Gonzaga is that they batttled a much larger front court to a standoff and were actually more efficient with in--paint offense: Montana netted a 34-30 advantage on points in the paint. Overall, Griz out-shot Zags from the field (42.6% to 41%)... the difference being 5 more points for the Zags than Montana beyond the arc. Lastly: Montana's guards are taking care of the ball pretty well for so early in the season; the Griz had 3 fewer turnovers than the Zags (11-14).

Truly a solid outing by a Montana team getting adjusted to an entirely new style of play. Kudos to Katrina Tsineke for coming in as an outsider and running things at point very capably. Also, the return of Sammy Fatkin is looming huge. I had a feeling today that she's on the verge of a major breakout as a difference-maker (she came a split-second from a breakaway steal & layup with about 2 minutes remaining that could have swung the game). Sophia Stiles had her usual all-out grinder of a game, but was literally beaming at the very loud roar of appreciation after she got her 5th foul. Carmen Gfeller is one tough power forward and really battled against much taller Zags opponents; she took a hard, hard elbow to the bridge of her nose midway through the second half, but was back battling after a minute or two on the bench. Abby Anderson collected two early fouls, and had to sit on the bench for most of the first half & struggled at times battling 4 taller opponents. Kylie Frohlich played a very solid 7-8 minutes & flashed some potential on offense with a hi-post dagger that loosened up the Zag 2nd half matchup Z a bit. Morris-Nelson and Bartsch both had solid rotations on the floor; I think Dani is going to be a difference maker sooner rather than later. Kyndal Keller played a solid 6 minutes of hard-nosed defensive focus.

Montana's next four games are on the road & I think they have a chance at winning three. A huge bummer to me is that (apparently) three of the games will NOT be streamed.

So... the loss to Gonzaga might pay dividends in the realization by these players that the Griz can indeed compete vs. power-ranked teams. Gonzaga is at 18 in the College Insider Poll and just out of the top 25 in the AP and USA Today Polls. The poll I follow most -- The NCAA Women's BAsketball Net Rankings, has Gonzaga ranked 17th. Now we get to see how they play on the road. Go GrizWBB.

Great summary! Wish there was a "like" button. I was probably over-zealous in my complaint about the charging call :oops:

Very nice to see the Lady Griz play some great basketball!!! We finally have some point guards that can handle the ball. If they had done what they did in the first quarter for the whole game and just made a couple of shots they would have beat them. They stopped driving as much after the first quarter. If they can attack a whole game like they did in the 1st qtr...they can play and beat a lot of good teams. We have depth too!!!! We can win the conference. I look forward to a great season!! Great job!!!! Go Griz!!!!

Just a quick update on Gonzaga, as they dropped a 4 point game to Stanford (RPI of 52) yesterday, 62-66. Similar score of LG-Gonzaga game, just with Gonzaga losing.

Gonzaga has also beaten Montana State by 25 and preseason BSC favorite Idaho State by 30.

DoubleNicks said:
Just a quick update on Gonzaga, as they dropped a 4 point game to Stanford (RPI of 52) yesterday, 62-66. Similar score of LG-Gonzaga game, just with Gonzaga losing.

Gonzaga has also beaten Montana State by 25 and preseason BSC favorite Idaho State by 30.

I don't think Stanford has quite jelled this year (yet). Plus, playing at GU is quite hazardous :)

However, I like your inferences to how it relates to the LGriz playing really good bball this year! I don't want to take anything away from NDState, but I don't think we brought our A-game that day (even if we won). Just my opinion.

Back