• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

No Man's Land?

citygriz

So if you get out-scored from deep and you get out-scored in the paint, what's left?

From Deep: Mississippi State outscored us by 12 points; North Dakota by nine.

Post Points: We score only four against Mississippi State, eight against North Dakota.

I get that you can go cold from deep. Even the Warriors just shot 9 for 38 against Charlotte. That happens.

But when it does, you need a reliable low post scorer that can get you a close-in shot. Or a foul.

Do we have that guy? Have we during the entire DeCuire era?

Does that explain these recurrent scoring droughts that wipe out winnable games?

Kudos to Whitney. DCH had another nice game on the comeback trail.

But until we develop an inside game, or start outshooting teams from deep, we're probably a .500 team.

Montana has no reliable scorer period. Just like last season, this team lacks "that" guy, the one guy that can take over a game at certain points and make things happen, push them through the tough times.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Montana has no reliable scorer period. Just like last season, this team lacks "that" guy, the one guy that can take over a game at certain points and make things happen, push them through the tough times.
Couldn't we say that was Whitney last night? He had 30 points and I don't remember anyone else taking a shot in the final 5 minutes last night.

I didn't watch or listen but notice Blakney got 6 minutes PT last might. What's the deal here? First impression he's much more of an offensive threat than Anderson (he can actually catch the ball and hold onto it!) . Watched him get ignored by his teammates on several pick and rolls and flashes to the basket vs. Mississippi State and then virtually no PT at all vs. North Dakota. Travis and the team will "lose" this guy soon if he doesn't get some attention. What's changed between all conference recognition at Idaho and end of the bench at UM? :D

Blakney is the piece that many of us thought was needed after last year.....and now in game 3 of the season he's buried on the bench and the Griz look lost.

Griz til I die said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Couldn't we say that was Whitney last night? He had 30 points and I don't remember anyone else taking a shot in the final 5 minutes last night.

Yet he couldn't get them through the tough spot at the end to win. Still not "that" guy.

Mousegriz said:
I didn't watch or listen but notice Blakney got 6 minutes PT last might. What's the deal here? First impression he's much more of an offensive threat than Anderson (he can actually catch the ball and hold onto it!) . Watched him get ignored by his teammates on several pick and rolls and flashes to the basket vs. Mississippi State and then virtually no PT at all vs. North Dakota. Travis and the team will "lose" this guy soon if he doesn't get some attention. What's changed between all conference recognition at Idaho and end of the bench at UM? :D

Blakney is the piece that many of us thought was needed after last year.....and now in game 3 of the season he's buried on the bench and the Griz look lost.

I am just going by observations, but that brace he has on his left shoulder is no compression sleeve but rather one that prevents dislocations. If that was his injury in pre-season (because I don't remember it in his time at Idaho) that is going to be an issue for a while until the muscle around the joint heals. Would be real hard with that injury to engage in a lot of above shoulder movement.

Just purely speculation, but he doesn't at all look like the dynamic post scorer that he was last year in the limited time he has had on the floor so far this year. Feels very much like it is injury related.

AllWeatherFan said:
citay said:
Do we have that guy? Have we during the entire DeCuire era?

No and yes.

Jamar Akoh and Martin Breunig both qualify. But we badly need a big-time big.

Agree on Akoh. Too bad he was hurt so much.
And yes, technically, on Breunig, though if we're talking about recruiting, Breunig was a Tinks recruit.

HelenaHandBasket said:

It's been 3 games, so I think it's a bit premature to make blanket statements like this. I think Bannan will be our "reliable" scorer this year. He's averaging 10ppg and 8 reb pg. He should score 10+/game most every game. Obviously Mississippi State was a disaster for everyone, but he was absolutely unstoppable vs Wazzu (12-12 from the field I think). Get back to me in a week.

There hasn't been much consistency or relative strength in the Griz front court during Travis's era. I don't know if it is a lack of recruiting emphasis or development, but the league is a lot better from top to bottom this season and well MSU has some bigs that can put pressure on the rim at either end along with cleaning-up on the glass. I would suggest playing more uptempo, spread the floor with some small-ball line-ups but not really seeing consistent go-to scorers on this roster with the back-court. Season is in diapers-lots of room for growth hopefully.

HelenaHandBasket said:

Haven’t had one since Pridgett.

Zirg said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

It's been 3 games, so I think it's a bit premature to make blanket statements like this. I think Bannan will be our "reliable" scorer this year. He's averaging 10ppg and 8 reb pg. He should score 10+/game most every game. Obviously Mississippi State was a disaster for everyone, but he was absolutely unstoppable vs Wazzu (12-12 from the field I think). Get back to me in a week.

As I was saying... Bannan has proved me right. I know because nobody has said a contrary word. :)

Zirg said:
Zirg said:

As I was saying... Bannan has proved me right. I know because nobody has said a contrary word. :)
He's yet to prove he can consistently put up those numbers against power 5 tournament teams. I think, that's what some posters here, mean to say. Only time will tell, to what his ceiling is.

mtgrizrule said:
Zirg said:
He's yet to prove he can consistently put up those numbers against power 5 tournament teams. I think, that's what some posters here, mean to say. Only time will tell, to what his ceiling is.

We are light-years behind Power 5 tourney Teams. We all know that. That wasn't the original point. He said "Montana has no reliable scorer period. Just like last season." There was no mention of Power 5 schools. I believe Bannan will be our reliable scorer this year, and he has stepped up since I made that statement and I think I deserve some props for my bold prediction. :)

Back