• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Weber State off to an Impressive 2021-22 start

grizzlyjournal

Randy Rahe's Weber State Wildcats are off to an impressive start on the 2021-22 season. Going in to a game against Dixie State, the Wildcats have a perfect 5-0 record, vs. solid D1 schools Duquesne, Ball State and Massachussets. The Wildcats' start has propelled the team close to breaking in to top 100 rankings by Haslametrics (105) and Kenpom (104), and a respectible 18th ranking from https://collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25 ... which is significant, because no other Big Sky school has garnered even a point in the coaches' poll.

This isn't some kind of blanket "outsider's" post here at eGriz. I'm an original member of the Zoo and I've got a pretty healthy sense of competition regarding the Wildcats. However, I've read some comments that are speculating that this might be Rahe's best Wildcat team.... and that's saying something. I've interviewed coach Rahe many times over the years and consider him a very classy individual & coach.

I guess we could do a "wait & see," because the Wildcats will play at Washington State (52), before hosting Utah State (67), BYU (27) and Fresno State (122) as a kind of tuneup before heading for Montana to face the Griz and Bobcats. Whew. Wouldn't it be fun to host BYU, Utah State & Fresno State in even one season in Missoula?

Thanks for this report, Journal. I'm a fan of Weber too. The Purple Palace is the best basketball venue in the Big Sky. Rahe is a classy guy, and Damian Lillard has turned out to be not only a star player but a fabulous representative for Weber and the entire BIg Sky Conference. You can be sure he's had a hand in their recruiting.

I'm one who pushed to move up back in the day when that issue was so hot on the football board. I felt it would have benefitted both basketball programs tremendously. But I would be appeased if we had more Weber's in this conference.

citay said:
Thanks for this report, Journal. I'm a fan of Weber too. The Purple Palace is the best basketball venue in the Big Sky. Rahe is a classy guy, and Damian Lillard has turned out to be not only a star player but a fabulous representative for Weber and the entire BIg Sky Conference. You can be sure he's had a hand in their recruiting.

I'm one who pushed to move up back in the day when that issue was so hot on the football board. I felt it would have benefitted both basketball programs tremendously. But I would be appeased if we had more Weber's in this conference.

Citay: Well... I wasn't trying to stir up any ire, but in truth, Isn't it better (for teams, fans & schools) to compete at the highest possible level? I realize that the issue of football (money, largely) is a complicating factor. But I'd rather play against top-level competition (where games are never gimmes...) against schools where fan support and interest is high, as it is across the spectrum at UM.

The Big Sky Conf doesn't keep accurate stats on fan support (attendance) of ALL sports, but I'm willing to put money on Montana as THE school with highest total fan numbers across the spectrum; that means counting paid attendance of all combined sports for comparison. Four examples: Fan support at Montana for women's soccer, women's volleyball, women's basketball and softball. If Montana's teams in those four sports, and men's basketball, were suddenly plonked into the Mountain West Conference for this and next season, I know that they would be capable of competing at a high level... and likely have decent comparative average fan paid-attendance numbers across the spectrum.

I've actually seen some very encouraging signs from the Big Sky Conf of late. I am aware that some major conference restructuring in on the horizon. But for my money (paid attendance, y'know) I'd much rather watch Montana sporting teams in competition (all sports, including the olympic sports) against on a higher level.

This is off on a bit of a tangent from my original Weber State report... but the fact is that I'd much rather watch Montana play against Weber State (and others) in a conference where there is a distinct competitive challenge. I have never felt comfortable with "hating" an opponent or school. I'd much prefer intense competition... linked with high respect of the opponent... and the school they represent.

grizzlyjournal said:
citay said:

Citay: Well... I wasn't trying to stir up any ire, but in truth, Isn't it better (for teams, fans & schools) to compete at the highest possible level? I realize that the issue of football (money, largely) is a complicating factor. But I'd rather play against top-level competition (where games are never gimmes...) against schools where fan support and interest is high, as it is across the spectrum at UM.

The Big Sky Conf doesn't keep accurate stats on fan support (attendance) of ALL sports, but I'm willing to put money on Montana as THE school with highest total fan numbers across the spectrum; that means counting paid attendance of all combined sports for comparison. Four examples: Fan support at Montana for women's soccer, women's volleyball, women's basketball and softball. If Montana's teams in those four sports, and men's basketball, were suddenly plonked into the Mountain West Conference for this and next season, I know that they would be capable of competing at a high level... and likely have decent comparative average fan paid-attendance numbers across the spectrum.

I've actually seen some very encouraging signs from the Big Sky Conf of late. I am aware that some major conference restructuring in on the horizon. But for my money (paid attendance, y'know) I'd much rather watch Montana sporting teams in competition (all sports, including the olympic sports) against on a higher level.

This is off on a bit of a tangent from my original Weber State report... but the fact is that I'd much rather watch Montana play against Weber State (and others) in a conference where there is a distinct competitive challenge. I have never felt comfortable with "hating" an opponent or school. I'd much prefer intense competition... linked with high respect of the opponent... and the school they represent.

The other dimension for me as an out-of-state fan is simply having more chances to see the team play. We have a substantial nationwide fanbase, and I think it'd be far easier for them to see games in Boise, San Jose, San Diego, Las Vegas and Albuquerque rather than in the out-of-the-way places in the Big Sky: Flagstaff, Ogden, Moscow,
San Luis Obispo, Davis, Pocatello, Cheney, even Sacramento. Not to mention the "old" rivalries we'd resume at a higher level, especially Boise State and Nevada, but also Wyoming and Utah State, geographical rivals from the old Skyline Conference.

No question the Big Sky Conference was where Montana needed to be during the period it built its reputation as a "Big Sky" and "FCS" power, establishing both an aura and a rabid fan base. It's just that now, with the ability to beat a Pac-12 power in Washington in football, isn't it time to take on greater challenges?

But I fully understand: This is the minority view.

I watched 2 of the Weber wins in the tournament. They look good and were fun to watch. To add salt to the wound, IMO, basketball would be the biggest beneficiary to any move up.

Big fish little pond or the little fish big pond.

Would you be happy with a .500 team every year ?

Personally Loved going to Weber to watch Playoff Basketball back in the day. Great Venue. Jason Kidd was on the docket!

Good write up ‘Journal. The Weebs have always been the team to beat in BSC Men’s basketball. This year could be ugly. I just don’t know if we have the horses to contend with them.

I must add a caveat to to Citay’s comment about the purple palace venue tho - it is great for men’s hoops but for women’s BB it’s the worst in the BSC. Like a tomb.

Back