• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Tournament this Week

Mousegriz

Griz Men host UC San Diego (Wednesday.) , UNC Wilmington (Thursday) and Southern Mississippi (Friday). Should be 3 good challenges. Personally, I'm more interested in this tourney than Weber State's season start.

How come so little buzz anywhere about this tourney? Griz Journal? You're watching replays of Lady Griz games and posting stories about their game against NDSU amd Weber's preseason...what about our Griz hosting a tournament TOMORROW!?

Mousegriz said:
Griz Men host UC San Diego (Wednesday.) , UNC Wilmington (Thursday) and Southern Mississippi (Friday). Should be 3 good challenges. Personally, I'm more interested in this tourney than Weber State's season start.

How come so little buzz anywhere about this tourney? Griz Journal? You're watching replays of Lady Griz games and posting stories about their game against NDSU amd Weber's preseason...what about our Griz hosting a tournament TOMORROW!?

:lol: Not counting last year, I've missed three (3) Griz home games since 1969 (Vietnam). My first Grizzly game was in 1953 & my first Silvertip hero (whom I saw play live many times) was Rudolph, Zip Rhoades. So... yeah, I'm a pretty rabid Griz hoops fan. Not only will I be in attendance at every Griz game this week, i'm going to watch every game in the Zootown Tourney.

UCSD is off to a really strong start this year and look to be a very good team. It will be interesting to see how UM stacks up with them tonight.

grizzlyjournal said:
Mousegriz said:

:lol: Not counting last year, I've missed three (3) Griz home games since 1969 (Vietnam). My first Grizzly game was in 1953 & my first Silvertip hero (whom I saw play live many times) was Rudolph, Zip Rhoades. So... yeah, I'm a pretty rabid Griz hoops fan. Not only will I be in attendance at every Griz game this week, i'm going to watch every game in the Zootown Tourney.

You're as diehard Griz as anyone! I was pretty close to one of the Fabulous Frosh. My father. Met his teammate "Zip" Rhoades a couple times in their later reunions. Seemed like a great guy. It was cool to see a team together 50 years later and still very close.

I'll be there tonight and Friday. Go Griz!

What's up with Blakney? I was looking at the box score from Saturday night against Omaha, and it doesn't appear he played. Was his shoulder in too much pain to play? And will he be good to go tonight? We're gonna need him tonight and same with Anderson. UC San Diego has a 6'9 kid who averages 18ppg, so we'll have our hands full down low.

What's up with no stream for the non-Griz games? It wouldn't have to be the full production, no need for play-by-play (or maybe overlay with the designated home team's call) but just at least the main camera from above would help appease opposing fans and show a level of professionalism which might help in getting future teams to come to MTE tournaments in Missoula.

And secondary to growing this tourney so that it could continue in the future, maybe get a few opposing fans to buy a GoGriz All-Access pass to make up for hiring the student (or whoever) for the camera.

UC San Diego is 4-0 on the young season, its marquee win a convincing season-opening 80-67 verdict at California. Closer to "Home," last Saturday, UC San Diego beat Sacramento State 71-56 in Sacramento. Now I know that the Hornets are undergoing serious transition issues with the sudden retirement of Brian Katz two weeks ago, but the Hornets have beaten a not-so-good Cal Poly team on the road and spanked a decent UC Davis team 75-63 on a neutral court. For some reference, Cal Davis is where Jonathan (Jono) Metzger-Jones, former Montana assistant coach under Wayne Tinkle, is now an assistant. The Tritons appear to have a pretty versatile uptempo offense, and are easily on par as a Big Sky Conf. caliber team. I expect a battle. P.S. Don't know Blakney's status, other than that he was suited up vs. Omaha, but did not get into the game.

Mousegriz said:
grizzlyjournal said:

You're as diehard Griz as anyone! I was pretty close to one of the Fabulous Frosh. My father. Met his teammate "Zip" Rhoades a couple times in their later reunions. Seemed like a great guy. It was cool to see a team together 50 years later and still very close.

I'll be there tonight and Friday. Go Griz!

Cool! The years & teams have sort of blurred together for me... but I do remember they had a pretty good run vs. the Bobcats, and one team where all 5 starters were Montana natives. The players I remember the most: Zip, Al Dunham (a great "3-pt" shooter and tough!), Ray Howard, Clancy Waters (2-handed set shot). Harold Erickson, Naseby Rinehart (took a very tough course in sports injuries from him!), Russ Sherriff (got to know Russ as coach & teacher), Jimmy Powell (got to know Jimmy pretty well also)... and Danny Balko. Better stop there or else I'll be getting into the O'Billoviches & the Sullivans :lol: etc. Do you mind sending me an eGriz text identifying your father?

cmtgrizzly said:
Does anyone know of there Is anyway to watch/stream this?

The games involving the Griz will be on ESPN+ and GoGriz (I think). I haven't found anything for the other games.

DoubleNicks said:
cmtgrizzly said:
Does anyone know of there Is anyway to watch/stream this?

The games involving the Griz will be on ESPN+ and GoGriz (I think). I haven't found anything for the other games.

Correction...GoGriz All-Access only has audio links to the Griz-involved games. Side-note: why isn't the link to the GoGriz All-Access page under the "Watch & Listen" link? Or the "Watch & Listen" link under the "Fan Zone" tab?

Montana fighting to keep a small lead against UCSD but they don't inspire confidence with their style of play. Beasley seems to be the go to guy and then Bannon. Lots of sloppy play but fouling is not playing a role agaisnt the GRIZ. UM has a one pt lead at thehalf with a two point bucket at the buzzer 32-29, UM!

GrizLA said:
Montana fighting to keep a small lead against UCSD but they don't inspire confidence with their style of play. Beasley seems to be the go to guy and then Bannon. Lots of sloppy play but fouling is not playing a role agaisnt the GRIZ. UM has a one pt lead at thehalf with a two point bucket at the buzzer 32-29, UM!

Do we get points for letting them set up defense before we start any offense.

Looks like the same tired offense from last year.

fanofzoo said:
GrizLA said:

Do we get points for letting them set up defense before we start any offense.

Looks like the same tired offense from last year.
UM is not going to do anything different this year but there seems to be more 3pt shots attempted tonight.36-32 but UCSD is playing sloppier than UM. Bannon is having a good game.

Back