• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ S Mississippi

Well, there is sound there. On ESPN+, it's like someone didn't know how to hook up the microphones. Sound is overrated though, especially for BB.

The Griz don't seem to have a firm grasp of the ball. Turnovers happen but some of those made by UM are totally uncalled for. Whitney and Carter, in particular, seem to have a light hand on the ball...It seems UM doesn't have many turnovers on paper but watching them makes me question that stat....boring basketball.

Wasn't able to watch the game, but Montana outscored Southern Miss 45-29 in the second half to win 74-62. The Griz are now 4-2 on the season, and could be 5-1 if not for a 2 point lost to North Dakota.

grizband said:
Wasn't able to watch the game, but Montana outscored Southern Miss 45-29 in the second half to win 72-62. The Griz are now 4-2 on the season, and could be 5-1 if not for a 2 point lost to North Dakota.

Beginning next week the schedule picks up and the Griz have some serious problems to address. Rebounding, ball handling need attention. Oregon, SUU, WEBER, MSU, are going to be real challenges for UM to avoid fouls but still ball hawk.

grizband said:
The Griz are now 4-2 on the season, and could be 5-1 if not for a 2 point lost to North Dakota.

Technically, 5-2 since the UNC Wilmington game is marked down as "forfeit win" and not "canceled".

GrizLA said:
grizband said:
Wasn't able to watch the game, but Montana outscored Southern Miss 45-29 in the second half to win 72-62. The Griz are now 4-2 on the season, and could be 5-1 if not for a 2 point lost to North Dakota.

Beginning next week the schedule picks up and the Griz have some serious problems to address. Rebounding, ball handling need attention. Oregon, SUU, WEBER, MSU, are going to be real challenges for UM to avoid fouls but still ball hawk.
Very true, the schedule gets increasingly more difficult over the next five games. However, I am still happy with our record through six, and hopefully they can build going into conference play.

DoubleNicks said:
grizband said:
The Griz are now 4-2 on the season, and could be 5-1 if not for a 2 point lost to North Dakota.

Technically, 5-2 since the UNC Wilmington game is marked down as "forfeit win" and not "canceled".
Would be a nice boost to the record, but where did you see this Nicks? ESPN still lists the game as cancelled, and I don't see anything about a forfeiture on GoGriz.

Just came back from the game... and it was a blast, from the opening tip until the final minute, when S Miss took the fouling about 30 seconds beyond necessary. Both teams played aggressive defense, but it still flowed well, thanks to the refs, who didn't call things overly tight. I personally think this could be a defining team for Montana, because Robbie Beasley and Lonnell Martin definitely started fitting in to their perimeter games... relaxed & started draining their shots. Regardess, this was classic D1 basketball: great defense, good offense, great flow overall and capped with an energizing late Griz rally for the win. Go Griz.

grizband said:
DoubleNicks said:
Would be a nice boost to the record, but where did you see this Nicks? ESPN still lists the game as cancelled, and I don't see anything about a forfeiture on GoGriz.

Not sure if it's accurate or dependable, but that's how it's listed on GoGriz's schedule page:
https://gogriz.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

One other note...Griz would have had 4 games in 6 days and two weeks back-to-back of 3 games each week. The little extra rest might help keep Monday's game at Oregon a little more respectable, hopefully.

Rats of Butte said:
Not much playing time for Vazquez or Owens? Is what you think we will see going forward?

They both seem to be on the "outs" especially Owens. I think Vazquez will continue to get rotations and will get more PT in certain games when he is "on". He has had an air-ball from 3-pt-land in 2 straight games, so he hasn't been given any "extra" minutes lately.

Back