• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bring back General Admission seating please

I don't know about other games, but at the Omaha game, they made an announcement at the 8 min. mark inviting those in attendance to move down to any open seats in the lower sections.

Geddes said:
That is all.

It might give some sort of life to the crowd that seems to be as indifferent as any I"ve seen. I wonder if they are bored by the style of bball UM plays.

Chucknduck said:
GA is now a beer garden during the basketball games.
For the entire year or just non-conference? Some of those conference games (cat-Griz) draw huge crowds, and they’ll need the seats for some of those home games. My assumption would be that they’ll move the beer garden somewhere else for conference play.

Griz til I die said:
Chucknduck said:
For the entire year or just non-conference? Some of those conference games (cat-Griz) draw huge crowds, and they’ll need the seats for some of those home games. My assumption would be that they’ll move the beer garden somewhere else for conference play.

According to an usher at half those seats will only return for Griz/Cat. They are pricing families with young kids and the high school kid cohort out of attending. As a long time bleacher creature along with Geddes I like it up there. That section also got the noise going more often than not. We sat in 204 tonight and it was sedate. My guess is they'll lose about 500 a game attendance wise.
On a practical note if you plan on going to a game get there earlier if you buy tixs at the gate. With everyone now having to pick seats it took forever to get in. Lots of people missed parts of half 1.

Chucknduck said:

The GA bleachers are moved back for a beer garden ? IF this is true WTF, that is where the fans sat.

fanofzoo said:
Chucknduck said:

The GA bleachers are moved back for a beer garden ? IF this is true WTF, that is where the fans sat.

Why in the world would you want to waste seats for a mere 1000 fans when you could sell 100 beers? :roll:

Let me get this straight - People were Bitching because only the elite could drink beer, now that the peons can drink beer we are now Bitching because they can't sit there. May I propose bring back general admission pricing, but in a section on the side or behind the other other basket but upper tear. Don't assign seats and let people sit wherever they want or even better allow beer in any seat in the arena, like U of Nevada does. Common Sense folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dillon said:
Let me get this straight - People were Bitching because only the elite could drink beer, now that the peons can drink beer we are now Bitching because they can't sit there. May I propose bring back general admission pricing, but in a section on the side or behind the other other basket but upper tear. Don't assign seats and let people sit wherever they want or even better allow beer in any seat in the arena, like U of Nevada does. Common Sense folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't recall all the details (because I live in Missoula), but the Upper Level South seats used to be reserved for any group of fans that showed up in buses from outlying schools or communities. I know there used to be regular loads of fans from Polson, Darby, Superior etc.etc. and especially P-burg. The P.A. announcer would regularly announce (and thank) which towns or schools were in attendance. A friend from Pburg told me the trips were a blast because there was no on-bus restriction of beverages for adult fans... coming or going from the east. Most games usually had groups from 2-3 outlying towns or schools. The pricing was cut-rate for the groups, and there were promotions where the first 2-3 groups to sign up for a given game were all admitted at no charge. I believe the program was terminated in the late 80s or early 90s by Montana AD Harley Lewis, or possibly Bill Moos.

I wasn't bitching at all, old guy.. And, I don't really give a shit about the beer thing either (wear a beer helmet at your seat for all I care). The idea of GA pricing around the stadium makes some sense (and looking at prices for the upcoming AF game, it seems like there are some cheaper seats). GA was just where people sat that actually got into the game and didn't sit on their hands all game. That conglomeration of fan was nice. Plus, the seats are nostalgic. I first learned the mastery of paper airplanes from up there as a youth...And, it is obviously all about me...

grizjournal (ie. Mr. Junkert..) thanks for what you provide to this forum. Also, thanks for introducing me to Beck in freshman English long ago...amongst other things. :cool:

edit: cuz grizzlyjournal used to be an English teacher, and I don't want to look like I learned absolutely nothing from him. Thank god he doesn't red pen this entire website...

This has been a long rumored move. Surprised it took twenty years to make this happen. This was a well studied and long studied debated. The athletic department, coaching staffs and booster types have been involved over the years on how to fix the environment issue for basketball games. One of the consistent points of conversation is how to handle the north bleachers.

Over the past 20 years, Mens games have rarely had more than a 3,500 average attendance and roughly 2,500-3,000 in dedicated season ticket sales. The bowl and the renovated section have about 4,500 to 5,000 seats. If the bleacher seats didn't exist, the renovated portion would be 3/4ers full for most games and improving the home game environment.

Opening up the extra 1,500 to 2,000 seats to have them 1/4 to 1/3 full for most games doesn't add to the environment, one might make the argument it detracts from it. So with the in arena beer being available, it opens up the possibilities on how to improve the game experience and bring in more attendees. This years treatment of the space is decidedly an ad-lib type but I do believe there are conversations in how to create a better environment for those beer gardens, group functions for future years. Or so I have been led to believe. They want people to buy beer on site, and believe people won't if they have to commit to drinking it in a far out of the way place. This space presented one of the handful of places that was easily accessible within the gates of the Adams center.

I get the consternation about the loss of general admission, because who doesn't like cheap seats to watch basketball games. I have heard over the years there has been a conversation about how to re-allocate season tickets in the upper levels to compress them closer to floor and to open up the upper levels of the South and West seats to single game reserved seats that would be far more affordable than presently available.

Anyhow, that is my understanding of the issues at play.

Geddes said:
I wasn't bitching at all, old guy.. And, I don't really give a shit about the beer thing either (wear a beer helmet at your seat for all I care). The idea of GA pricing around the stadium makes some sense (and looking at prices for the upcoming AF game, it seems like there are some cheaper seats). GA was just where people sat that actually got into the game and didn't sit on their hands all game. That conglomeration of fan was nice. Plus, the seats are nostalgic. I first learned the mastery of paper airplanes from up there as a youth...And, it is obviously all about me...

grizjournal (ie. Mr. Junkert..) thanks for what you provide to this forum. Also, thanks for introducing me to Beck in freshman English long ago...amongst other things. :cool:

edit: cuz grizzlyjournal used to be an English teacher, and I don't want to look like I learned absolutely nothing from him. Thank god he doesn't red pen this entire website...

:clap: :clap: :thumb: Thanks for the compliment, Geddes! Don't worry about the red pen. I lost it long ago. Besides, I have problems enough making certain to catch errors in my own writing on this board!

Grizfan-24 said:
This has been a long rumored move. Surprised it took twenty years to make this happen. This was a well studied and long studied debated. The athletic department, coaching staffs and booster types have been involved over the years on how to fix the environment issue for basketball games. One of the consistent points of conversation is how to handle the north bleachers.

Over the past 20 years, Mens games have rarely had more than a 3,500 average attendance and roughly 2,500-3,000 in dedicated season ticket sales. The bowl and the renovated section have about 4,500 to 5,000 seats. If the bleacher seats didn't exist, the renovated portion would be 3/4ers full for most games and improving the home game environment.

Opening up the extra 1,500 to 2,000 seats to have them 1/4 to 1/3 full for most games doesn't add to the environment, one might make the argument it detracts from it. So with the in arena beer being available, it opens up the possibilities on how to improve the game experience and bring in more attendees. This years treatment of the space is decidedly an ad-lib type but I do believe there are conversations in how to create a better environment for those beer gardens, group functions for future years. Or so I have been led to believe. They want people to buy beer on site, and believe people won't if they have to commit to drinking it in a far out of the way place. This space presented one of the handful of places that was easily accessible within the gates of the Adams center.

I get the consternation about the loss of general admission, because who doesn't like cheap seats to watch basketball games. I have heard over the years there has been a conversation about how to re-allocate season tickets in the upper levels to compress them closer to floor and to open up the upper levels of the South and West seats to single game reserved seats that would be far more affordable than presently available.

Anyhow, that is my understanding of the issues at play.

I always experienced that the people who sat in GA were the most vocal but doesn't compare to a couple of beers.

grizzlyjournal said:
Geddes said:

:clap: :clap: :thumb: Thanks for the compliment, Geddes! Don't worry about the red pen. I lost it long ago. Besides, I have problems enough making certain to catch errors in my own writing on this board!
WAIT! You saying people actually read this stuff/ OOps

Back