• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Damon Gros Ventre

PeauxRouge

Anyone know if UM is looking at him? He's been lighting it up the last few years. I imagine he would only garner a PWO from UM but it would sure be fun to have someone like him on the team.

What about?
https://406mtsports.com/high-school/basketball/boys/aint-no-stopping-that-guy-lame-deers-journey-emerson-made-history-with-61-point-outburst/article_b679f84b-6306-5dba-8e1d-8036d31c554c.html
https://twitter.com/billingsgazette/status/1473860682588332032

grizzlyjournal said:
What about?
https://406mtsports.com/high-school/basketball/boys/aint-no-stopping-that-guy-lame-deers-journey-emerson-made-history-with-61-point-outburst/article_b679f84b-6306-5dba-8e1d-8036d31c554c.html
https://twitter.com/billingsgazette/status/1473860682588332032

I saw that! Not as familiar with him but I'd be happy with him, too.

PeauxRouge said:
Anyone know if UM is looking at him? He's been lighting it up the last few years. I imagine he would only garner a PWO from UM but it would sure be fun to have someone like him on the team.

We don't want shooters. :cry:

fanofzoo said:
PeauxRouge said:

We don't want shooters. :cry:

Sure seems that way. The ones we have, don't get many minutes, or shots.

Wouldn't it be fantastic to have a player like that and the SYSTEM to support him, you want to bring mens BB back ?

citay said:
Mouse would not tolerate this guy. He's too "little."
If being too little was his reason he’d be right. Have to be able to defend to see the floor. We don’t need an Isaiah Thomas if we’re trying to play winning basketball. Shooters? Yes? Shooters who can’t defend and are too small to effectively play as a 2/3(off the ball)??No

UMFan12 said:
citay said:
If being too little was his reason he’d be right. Have to be able to defend to see the floor. We don’t need an Isaiah Thomas if we’re trying to play winning basketball. Shooters? Yes? Shooters who can’t defend and are too small to effectively play as a 2/3(off the ball)??No

I’ve watched a few Native American ball players over the years and have great respect for their shooting prowess but there are a few factors which make their transition to college ball, especially D1 ball very difficult. I think and I’m not an expert by far, but aside from the cultural aspect of moving off the res which by it self is extremely difficult the adjustment is catastrophic to a young man trying to cope with academics, long hours of practice and not having ones support group at hand.
There are few if any activities for high school kids on the res. For many the only sport affordable is a pair of gym shorts, a pair of converse basketball shoes and a hoop to shoot at. Most all young people especially from the reservation seek recognition and notoriety and offensive stats are more recognized than someone who plays tenacious defense. To be a hero to your parents, your peers and the rest of the their nation.
I have not seen Damon Gros Ventre play so perhaps I’m mischaracterizing his abilities so this is not so much about Damon but about players who come off the reservation.
As a youngster I remember watching Larry Pretty Whesel in a Class C tournament cross mid court and launch a shot and more often than not they would go in. If only there had been the three point line back then.
I’m to lazy to look it up but just a few years back when Arlee won back to back state championships. They had a player who was a scoring machine. Something like 26 Pt’s. a game. He committed to the Griz but wound up going to a JC. I believe it was North Idaho JC. I’ve not heard a word about him since. I hope he is doing well.

UMFan12 said:
citay said:

I’ve watched a few Native American ball players over the years and have great respect for their shooting prowess but there are a few factors which make their transition to college ball, especially D1 ball very difficult. I think and I’m not an expert by far, but aside from the cultural aspect of moving off the res which by it self is extremely difficult the adjustment is catastrophic to a young man trying to cope with academics, long hours of practice and not having ones support group at hand.
There are few if any activities for high school kids on the res. For many the only sport affordable is a pair of gym shorts, a pair of converse basketball shoes and a hoop to shoot at. Most all young people especially from the reservation seek recognition and notoriety and offensive stats are more recognized than someone who plays tenacious defense. To be a hero to your parents, your peers and the rest of the their nation.
I have not seen Damon Gros Ventre play so perhaps I’m mischaracterizing his abilities so this is not so much about Damon but about players who come off the reservation.
As a youngster I remember watching Larry Pretty Whesel in a Class C tournament cross mid court and launch a shot and more often than not they would go in. If only there had been the three point line back then.
I’m to lazy to look it up but just a few years back when Arlee won back to back state championships. They had a player who was a scoring machine. Something like 26 Pt’s. a game. He committed to the Griz but wound up going to a JC. I believe it was North Idaho JC. I’ve not heard a word about him since. I hope he is doing well.

Sport said:
UMFan12 said:

The Arlee kid is Phillip Malatare. He's now playing at Eastern Oregon and doing pretty well. Averages 19 PPG so far.

https://eousports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/phillip-malatare/5885

PeauxRouge said:
Sport said:

The Arlee kid is Phillip Malatare. He's now playing at Eastern Oregon and doing pretty well. Averages 19 PPG so far.

https://eousports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/phillip-malatare/5885

Congratulations to Philip for breaking the mold. I could be wrong but not that it matters because he grew up on the reservation but I think one of his parents is white. Nevertheless I wish him much success in life. 19 PPG is impressive.

Brandon The Boy was a fun player to watch. Went to Rocky and he opened up about the challenges of leaving the Rez, actually returned home to be with his father, but came back after his passing.

Jonathan Takes Enemy played for Rocky Mountain College in the early 90's and was an excellent two way player. JR Camel was a star for the Griz, not to mention one of the greatest HS players in the history of Montana. Kenny Big Back was an NAIA All American player for Rocky in the mid 90's. As some have mentioned, Phillip Malatare is killing it at Eastern Oregon.

I was a big fan of Malatare coming out of high school. I liked his handle--deft dribbler, great left hand. I felt he'd bring excitement to Dahlberg.

Sport said:
UMFan12 said:

Larry Pretty Weasel played for class A Hardin. He was outstanding on defense and offense. Many Indian basketball players are skilled in all phases of the game. Larry had lightning quick hands and would steal the ball from his opponents in a second. He was also a strong rebounder.

citay said:

We've already got Beasley, Whitney, Vasquez and "Downtown" Freddy Brown III with years of eligibility left . Parker I believe is gone after this year These guys are "polished" players from bigger areas than little old Montana.

It's important for Decuire to have at least 5 D1 players under 6"4" on his roster.....but I bet he's got his eye on another "polished" guy.

CopperGold14 said:
Jonathan Takes Enemy played for Rocky Mountain College in the early 90's and was an excellent two way player. JR Camel was a star for the Griz, not to mention one of the greatest HS players in the history of Montana. Kenny Big Back was an NAIA All American player for Rocky in the mid 90's. As some have mentioned, Phillip Malatare is killing it at Eastern Oregon.
Mike Chavez was pretty good too!

Back