• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ ISU

mtgrizrule

Just got to the game. Hoping the offense finds their rhythm. I don't worry about defense with Coach DeCuire.

Sure enough, Owens drew a charge on their big post. Saw that 1 coming. Using Owens and DCH from the high post. Effective so far.

Solid 1st half. Ball movement was much better the last 10 minutes of the half. Officiating, a little questionable.

Kyle Owens appears to be back. Granted, his shot is inconsistent, but his defense is great. He's drawn 3 charges. Whitney is aggressively going to the hole. Anderson was aggressive, before picking up his 4th.

mtgrizrule said:
2 of 3 fouls on Mac were their big falling or slipping, without contact.

Anderson leads the team with 42 fouls but is 7th in minutes played. He's a foul-machine. You can complain about a questionable call here or there if you want, but he brings attention upon himself consistently with his reaching and grabbing and that's not gonna change.

Zirg said:
mtgrizrule said:
2 of 3 fouls on Mac were their big falling or slipping, without contact.

Anderson leads the team with 42 fouls but is 7th in minutes played. He's a foul-machine. You can complain about a questionable call here or there if you want, but he brings attention upon himself consistently with his reaching and grabbing and that's not gonna change.

Mack Anderson played a solid game tonight, especially on defense as a high-post help-defensive anchor to keep ISU's guards from penetrating the lane from high post screens. He scored 12 points but, because of his foul trouble, played only 14 minutes (DCH was in the same predicament). I agree with mtgrizrule though, two fouls were cheap... though both of ISU's big men were suffering from the same issues. I'm truly puzzled about per-game fouls called in Big Sky play. A total of 42 fouls called tonight, pretty disruptive of first-half game flow. For comparison, I checked the box of the Weber State at Montana State game: 52 fouls total, with a total of 59 points scored at the freethrow lines of both teams. Ugh.

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1476794909109923841

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3G3O5TSd0qIhXjxxlfiYoJ?si=2tx5fQM_SR-Pt3EKSoqW1w

grizzlyjournal said:
Zirg said:

Mack Anderson played a solid game tonight, especially on defense as a high-post help-defensive anchor to keep ISU's guards from penetrating the lane from high post screens. He scored 12 points but, because of his foul trouble, played only 14 minutes (DCH was in the same predicament). I agree with mtgrizrule though, two fouls were cheap... though both of ISU's big men were suffering from the same issues. I'm truly puzzled about per-game fouls called in Big Sky play. A total of 42 fouls called tonight, pretty disruptive of first-half game flow. For comparison, I checked the box of the Weber State at Montana State game: 52 fouls total, with a total of 59 points scored at the freethrow lines of both teams. Ugh.

Correction, Mack Anderson played a solid 2nd half. He was invisible in the 1st half, only had 1 rebound the whole game and ISU's opposing Center led the Bengals with 15 pts before fouling out himself. He has almost ZERO offensive post-skills if he doesn't have an easy dunk or layup. All 3 of his buckets were dunks on fast-breaks/transition. I'm not dis-agreeing about a cpl of the fouls on him being questionable tonight per se, but he is quite frequently in foul-trouble, and doesn't seem able to stop that trend.

Forgot to post my thoughts on the game last night. Solid showing. I thought we had a good game plan, good ball movement, and we shot the ball well. I was happy to see us shoot it well from 3 in the first half. It was unfortunate that we cooled down in the second half, but we had a lot of wide open looks that didn't fall. We'll need those to fall tomorrow. Defense was stifling and turned the ball over a lot which was great. The only thing that still worries me is our rebounding. We played pretty small last night with Anderson in foul trouble most of the night and no Blakney. I find it unlikely he'll be able to go tomorrow but I wish he could cause we could really use him tomorrow. Everyone get to Dahlberg tomorrow and pack the place. It's a big game and I definitely think we can win it with how great we've been playing at home. I'm driving over from Butte for the game. I'm excited, my first Griz basketball game since March 2020.

Big Sky as a conference needs to do something about the reffing. You’d think they’d figure this out after their representative in March is punched in the mouth every year early in games because refs are letting them play physical.

UMFan12 said:
Big Sky as a conference needs to do something about the reffing. You’d think they’d figure this out after their representative in March is punched in the mouth every year early in games because refs are letting them play physical.

Pretty sure it's not the reffing that gets BSC teams "punched in the mouth" in the tourney every year! Last year EWU won a game because they did have a physical and skilled big guy.......like when Griz had Qvale.

Mousegriz said:
UMFan12 said:

Pretty sure it's not the reffing that gets BSC teams "punched in the mouth" in the tourney every year! Last year EWU won a game because they did have a physical and skilled big guy.......like when Griz had Qvale.

100% agree. Ppl that bitch about refs are lame in general,IMO.

Back