• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz vs W-Cats: An officiating clinic

grizzlyjournal

Montana's dramatic 74-72 win vs. Weber State was a classic -- not just for the drama of the final seconds -- but because it was a blast to watch from the opening tip to the final horn. Most of that is probably due to the long history of the UM-WSU rivalry. But the fun of this game is also due -- in large part -- to the outstanding officiating throughout. I'd love to send the stream of this game to the central offices of the Big Sky Conf. as an official's clinic on all aspects of officiating... especially game flow.
Here's the book:
Personal Fouls: Weber State -- 12; Montana -- 12.
Fouled Out: None (0)
Technical Fouls: 1
Significantly: Only 19 of the game's 146 total points scored came from the free throw line. Compare that to Thursday's win over ISU, where 42 fouls were called and three players fouled out (plus three more had 4 fouls),,, or to WSU's win over the Bobcats where 52 (!!!) fouls were called.

There were two significant early signs that this officiating crew gave to players and coaches in the first 10 minutes of play:
1-- They were going to aggressively enforce the 2021 NCAA Rule enforcement against Flopping and Foul Faking (as described in the NCAA document from May 9).
2 -- Three warnings against flopping were immediately called. Then Mac Anderson was called for a related technical related to that rule (the ref used the same double-hands-down signal).
3. -- Two long conversations with coaches at both ends of the floor where it was obvious that the officials were setting their officiating parameters.
4. -- The result was an incredible full-game flow. The action became slightly more physical (with some legit charging calls) but without any hint of flopping. The cool thing to me was that the refs symbolically put their whistles away and let the players play. Incidentally, there was very little overt contact on break-away early O layups (which is a relief to me) and the players... just played a hard and generally clean game.
5. -- Of significance was the final game frame (the last 5 minutes) where the action got a bit wild, but no whistles were blown. Frankly, I believe that is what allowed this game to have such a great ending: NO endless trips to the free throw line. Play the game, guys.

I know this is probably an over-simplification. But I've been watching quite a few NBA games this year where that exact situation unfolds. The refs take no guff, but clearly attempt to separate an actual shot-interrupting foul as in a different category from the incidental contact of a very physical game, which they try not to interrupt.
There was more to last night's game, of course. As others have said, one of the best Big Sky games from start to finish I've seen for quite some time.

grizzlyjournal said:
Montana's dramatic 74-72 win vs. Weber State was a classic -- not just for the drama of the final seconds -- but because it was a blast to watch from the opening tip to the final horn. Most of that is probably due to the long history of the UM-WSU rivalry. But the fun of this game is also due -- in large part -- to the outstanding officiating throughout. I'd love to send the stream of this game to the central offices of the Big Sky Conf. as an official's clinic on all aspects of officiating... especially game flow.
Here's the book:
Significantly: Only 19 of the game's 146 total points scored came from the free throw line. Compare that to Thursday's win over ISU, where 42 fouls were called and three players fouled out (plus three more had 4 fouls),,, or to WSU's win over the Bobcats where 52 (!!!) fouls were called.

There were two significant early signs that this officiating crew gave to players and coaches in the first 10 minutes of play:
1-- They were going to aggressively enforce the 2021 NCAA Rule enforcement against Flopping and Foul Faking (as described in the NCAA document from May 9).
2 -- Three warnings against flopping were immediately called. Then Mac Anderson was called for a related technical related to that rule (the ref used the same double-hands-down signal).
3. -- Two long conversations with coaches at both ends of the floor where it was obvious that the officials were setting their officiating parameters.
4. -- The result was an incredible full-game flow. The action became slightly more physical (with some legit charging calls) but without any hint of flopping. The cool thing to me was that the refs symbolically put their whistles away and let the players play. Incidentally, there was very little overt contact on break-away early O layups (which is a relief to me) and the players... just played a hard and generally clean game.
5. -- Of significance was the final game frame (the last 5 minutes) where the action got a bit wild, but no whistles were blown. Frankly, I believe that is what allowed this game to have such a great ending: NO endless trips to the free throw line. Play the game, guys.

I know this is probably an over-simplification. But I've been watching quite a few NBA games this year where that exact situation unfolds. The refs take no guff, but clearly attempt to separate an actual shot-interrupting foul as in a different category from the incidental contact of a very physical game, which they try not to interrupt.
There was more to last night's game, of course. As others have said, one of the best Big Sky games from start to finish I've seen for quite some time.

Hear, hear!

Great post, GJ!

grizzlyjournal said:
Here's the book:

Excellent summation of a terrific game.

I think a play that is a microcosm of GJ’s officiating summary was Carter-Hollingers defensive stop in the last 35(?) seconds.

A Weber player had the ball on the low-block, pump-faked DCH into the air, took a half step forward and lowered his shoulder into DCH as he was in his way down, then went to put up the shot - which incidentally gave DCH time to recover and jump back up and deflect/alter the Weber player’s shot.

90% of the time the whistle gets blown. This time it did not. Ironically enough, if the Weber player just attempted to make the shot instead of just get a foul on DCH, all he had to to was go up a half a beat after faking DCH into the air and he would have had a clean look at the basket.

Agreed, great post. Best officiated conference game I've seen in a lonnnnng time. It was officiated like an NCAA tournament game. I've argued forever that the bsc (#bsc) officiating puts the conference winner in a horrible spot come tournament time. They aren't used to the physical, let-em-play style.

Agreed on all points. Great to not see a free throw contest. Added bonus I was back home across town by 9:15 rather than 9:45 or even 10 after some of those 40 free throw "games".

:thumb:
Hoops watcher said:
Agreed on all points. Great to not see a free throw contest. Added bonus I was back home across town by 9:15 rather than 9:45 or even 10 after some of those 40 free throw "games".

Back