• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ball movement

Totally impressed with the quick passing game that has developed. Even more impressed with the speed of this team. No more walking it up the court. Coach's early prediction of an up tempo game is finally coming to fruition. An absolute joy to watch them last night.

...ball movement plus...
...griz gaurds in the paint plus...
...free throw percentage..that was fun...

... :clap: ...

The dribble-drive trend with so many teams is way over used today. And Montana is a glaring example of this trend. Basketball was never meant to be a one-on-one game, and the best teams always move the ball around to get open looks. In the NBA, the Golden State Warriors are the epitome of the value of a great passing team.

LaJollaGriz said:
The dribble-drive trend with so many teams is way over used today. And Montana is a glaring example of this trend. Basketball was never meant to be a one-on-one game, and the best teams always move the ball around to get open looks. In the NBA, the Golden State Warriors are the epitome of the value of a great passing team.

They complement each other. Breaking a guy down off the dribble can lead to an even more open shot after a couple passes. The best teams are good at both. If you can't drive your opponent will just overplay the passing lane and gum up your offense.

Agree that the passing is rounding into shape nicely. Good to see.

Hoops watcher said:
LaJollaGriz said:

They complement each other. Breaking a guy down off the dribble can lead to an even more open shot after a couple passes. The best teams are good at both. If you can't drive your opponent will just overplay the passing lane and gum up your offense.

Agree that the passing is rounding into shape nicely. Good to see.

In the games I have watched, there are too many possessions where they pass the ball around the perimeter, with most players just standing around, until the clock winds down, then a guard tries to go one-on-one, with limited results. Too little motion in the Griz offense for my taste.

LaJollaGriz said:

The NBA got boring to me when the zone defense was illegal (prior to 200-2001 season.) Players would clear out to one side and let their star go one-on-one against one defender. I don't care if that star was Iverson, Kobe, Michael or Shaq, and I don't care if it was effective. It was butt ugly.

The true beauty of the game of basketball is in the passing. The best passes though require the recipient of that pass to be moving--fast-break, back door cut, baseline cut. The best passes are the ones that you don't see coming, or even seem errant--until the recipient gathers it and swoops to the basket.

After watching the Warriors perfect their motion passing offense, I got frustrated watching our Griz pass the ball around the perimeter, around the perimeter, while the shot clock ran down. I even titled a post, "Cut to the Fuckin' Basket!" When Mike Montgomery said during the Oregon game, "I could not diagram the Montana offense," it may have been a wakeup call to this staff.

Our kids play great defense. Glad they seem to be developing better offensive schemes.

citay said:
LaJollaGriz said:

The NBA got boring to me when the zone defense was illegal (prior to 200-2001 season.) Players would clear out to one side and let their star go one-on-one against one defender. I don't care if that star was Iverson, Kobe, Michael or Shaq, and I don't care if it was effective. It was butt ugly.

The true beauty of the game of basketball is in the passing. The best passes though require the recipient of that pass to be moving--fast-break, back door cut, baseline cut. The best passes are the ones that you don't see coming, or even seem errant--until the recipient gathers it and swoops to the basket.

After watching the Warriors perfect their motion passing offense, I got frustrated watching our Griz pass the ball around the perimeter, around the perimeter, while the shot clock ran down. I even titled a post, "Cut to the f###[#]' Basket!" When Mike Montgomery said during the Oregon game, "I could not diagram the Montana offense," it may have been a wakeup call to this staff.

Our kids play great defense. Glad they seem to be developing better offensive schemes.

I'm thinking, DeCuire and Montgomery had a very LONG talk. There have been noticeable changes in rotations, attitude, and ball movement since that game

citay said:
LaJollaGriz said:

After watching the Warriors perfect their motion passing offense, I got frustrated watching our Griz pass the ball around the perimeter, around the perimeter, while the shot clock ran down. I even titled a post, "Cut to the f###[#]' Basket!" When Mike Montgomery said during the Oregon game, "I could not diagram the Montana offense," it may have been a wakeup call to this staff.

Man, you guys talk about the Warriors like your forgot the Spurs Beautiful Game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3y7cWmoBCI

Yup. Pop is the Master. Kerr learned from him.

Kerr learned from everybody. When he showed up for his interview with the Warriors he carried a thick notebook. They assumed it was his playbook.

“No,” he said. “Those are my out-of-bounds plays.”

citay said:

Kerr learned from everybody. When he showed up for his interview with the Warriors he carried a thick notebook. They assumed it was his playbook.

And yet, “Pop” (who is 100% douchebag) finds he’s not such a genius when he’s not coaching 3 HOF players at the same time.

PeauxRouge said:
citay said:

Man, you guys talk about the Warriors like your forgot the Spurs Beautiful Game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3y7cWmoBCI
Sometimes this feels like a warriors messageboard. Last game GRIZ got leads going inside and lost the lead throwing up threes.

Mavman said:
Sometimes this feels like a warriors messageboard.

If this was the football board I feel like CDA would help out this issue by pointing out how the ABA players were hard helmet guys who brought their lunch pails to work, and would pass the ball around a minimum number of times depending on what qualifies as being tough.

Once pro basketball got rid of the red white and blue ball he was down with the woke communist America hating ball players and won’t watch pro ball anymore.

Except court side at the Lakers, but he doesn’t watch the game.

AZGrizFan said:
citay said:

And yet, “Pop” (who is 100% douchebag) finds he’s not such a genius when he’s not coaching 3 HOF players at the same time.

Kerr learned the same thing recently! How lucky was he to land in the job with the greatest shooting backcourt ever!? (I’m so excited Klay’s back…)

Back