• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Expectations for the Griz BB Team

LaJollaGriz

I have a serious question for Grizzly fans about your expectations for our basketball program.

Is your goal for our team to win the Big Sky, no matter if we get slaughtered in the NCAA tournament? Would you be satisfied, if we finished 2nd, 3rd, or lower in the conference, as long as we win the Big Sky tournament?

What is a satisfactory expectation for our program? Here is mine- i think our goal should be to win the Sky tournament, and make the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament. Yes it is a lofty goal, but there have been other Mid-Majors who have punched their ticket to the Sweet 16. Why can't we have these expectations?

I'd appreciate hearing your personal expectations/goals for our team.

Win the Big Sky Conference. Unfortunately, that is a pipe dream this season, and I don't care what the standings say right now. The Griz men are ranked 4th or 5th in the conference in every metric (Kenpom, NET, Torvik) and as they say, the numbers don't lie.

I have a goal of getting mouse, LaJolla, LA, and fanofzoo together and seeing how long it takes for the air to get sucked out of the room.

astutegriz said:
I have a goal of getting mouse, LaJolla, LA, and fanofzoo together and seeing how long it takes for the air to get sucked out of the room.

Poor baby. Did my post cause you to go to your safe space?

astutegriz said:

Reality's tough! I expect this well-coached undersized overachieving team team to battle and scrape all year long but don't see the talent to win the conference tournament and advance to the NCAA's . So the season will end in a loss....but not an embarrassing 40 point+ one!

AllWeatherFan said:
1. Make the tourney.
2. Win the tourney.

Every single year.

Since everyone goes to the tourney, check that box off before the first practice begins! But I get your point.

Every year, I expect to be a top 4 Big Sky regular season, make the conference Championship game, and participate in a post season tournament. I admit, if it's not the NCAA tournament, I am disappointed.

As for football, every year I expect no worse than playing in the FCS quarterfinals. Less than the semifinals, is a little of a let down for me.

Recruit some Montana kids every year. Glean the best from the state. Give local kids a chance to play at that level.

FBGriz said:
Recruit some Montana kids every year. Glean the best from the state. Give local kids a chance to play at that level.

If they’re legitimate DI talent absolutely. Any program should recruit from the inside out. But if there isn’t DI talent, then look elsewhere. Everyone is a Montana once they don that uniform.

FBGriz said:

I see this ass backwards thinking continues to persist among a certain segment of the Griz fan base. The object of sports is to win the most games possible, not field a team with most in-state athletes! In my mind, any athlete who competes for the Griz is automatically a Montanan by default. I legitimately couldn't give two sh!ts if there were zero Montana-bred athletes as long as we win. And certainly the reality for D1 men's basketball is that very few Montana athletes have the ability to play at this level. Those that are on that level are simply a bonus, but I don't get any more stoked for them than i do for Griz athletes from elsewhere. The bottom line is that this is about performance, not being an in-state mascot.

Mousegriz said:
astutegriz said:

Reality's tough! I expect this well-coached undersized overachieving team team to battle and scrape all year long but don't see the talent to win the conference tournament and advance to the NCAA's . So the season will end in a loss....but not an embarrassing 40 point+ one!

Shhhhhhh! You're not allowed to make a post critical in any way about our basketball team. Don't you understand that we are 6-2 in conference, and only lost to both legitimate non-mid-major teams (Miss. State & Oregon) by 40 points? No room to criticize anything here.

Thanks to those posters who gave their expectations for our team. The others who hi-jacked the thread are, well you know.

It goes without saying as long as in state recruits are D1 caliber we should go after them. Of course, we don't want NAIA talent on our team, none on this board want that. I think most on this board realize how important that is. We have always done well with in state D1 talent in my opinion, until about the last 5 years(has been a strong crop for Montana). I won't name the ones we have lost as they have been on previous threads however, it is too many.

Those who think it is ass backwards to make it a priority to land D1 talent in-state, don't understand Montana. Maybe you were raised, or now live somewhere else, i don't know, just trying to give you a pass for your ignorance. Like it or not, one pillar of Grizzly football being so popular is the mix of Montana raised recruits. That is a reality that i don't believe will ever change, Montana pride is unique, it is a part of our culture.

My answer to question, win or contend (top 2 every year in standings, understand you can get knocked off in tournament) for conference championship with team that can compete as a 13 or 14 seed. Land or go after with offers to every D1 talent in state

wyomingriz said:
It goes without saying as long as in state recruits are D1 caliber we should go after them. Of course, we don't want NAIA talent on our team, none on this board want that. I think most on this board realize how important that is. We have always done well with in state D1 talent in my opinion, until about the last 5 years(has been a strong crop for Montana). I won't name the ones we have lost as they have been on previous threads however, it is too many.

Those who think it is ass backwards to make it a priority to land D1 talent in-state, don't understand Montana. Maybe you were raised, or now live somewhere else, i don't know, just trying to give you a pass for your ignorance. Like it or not, one pillar of Grizzly football being so popular is the mix of Montana raised recruits. That is a reality that i don't believe will ever change, Montana pride is unique, it is a part of our culture.

My answer to question, win or contend (top 2 every year in standings, understand you can get knocked off in tournament) for conference championship with team that can compete as a 13 or 14 seed. Land or go after with offers to every D1 talent in state

As a native Zootown Montanan who has followed the Griz for many seasons, I agree 100% with this perspective, particularly the aspect that "Montana pride is unique" and an essential part of our culture, and truly the opposite of some quirky agrarian arrogance as some have claimed. It might even be more powerful in some of the smaller state schools that build their teams around Montana kids. The goal of contending and advancing to post-season play is realistic, which four Montana teams have recently accomplished (FB, MBB, SOC & SB). I have high hopes that women's basketball and volleyball are developing teams that will have them contending once again.

Back